Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Thank You JK!

Well we have read the last one! And I wasn't disappointed at all.

What ever I thought would happen didn't at all of course. The plot unfolding was tremendous as always. And those bombs you set at the end of all chapters made it hard to put the books down.

I'll miss that kid, his world and his doubts, his humanity; yours JK. I just hope you won't retire and give us more stories... any stories. And ebook versions of them!

Yvan
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:52 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm in the midst of chapter six so far and there has been more action in #7 so far then all of #6.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I guess correctly everyone still has their nose in it? The book I mean!

Captivating isn't it! I've had the good fortune, if I can ironically say, to require medical testing. One day of prep and one day of tests. Plenty of time to read! That's why I could finish it so soon, work would have prevented me to do so and frankly, I would have prefered to read through it more slowly.

Tests came out negative... Yay!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Oops, I finished it on monday morning after a few late night reading sessions
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Turtle Woman
Enthusiast
Turtle Woman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Glad your tests came out negative, Ivan. And I second your emotion on J.K. Rowling. She has brought so many hours of reading enjoyment to me. I didn't think Book 7 could possibly live up to all the hype, but it did. Narrow escapes and thrilling battles. Lots of tear-jerk moments, too.

The epilogue gave all the fanfiction authors plenty of food for sequels.
Turtle Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:23 PM   #6
Xsavior
Coveter of eInk
Xsavior began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700p, Sony Reader
(Spoiler Free: the sadness I refer to is simply that it is over, not that any characters did or did not die)

I finished it last night, and i have to say, as a testament to JK, I've never felt this ... need to grieve... due to a book before. I know that i have read more skillfully written books. I know that I have invested more time into other series (Wheel of Time, Song of Fire and Ice, to a lesser extent, Sword of Truth) but I have realized that I have never wanted a story to go on as much as I wanted this one too.

I think a lot of it has to do with the growth of the characters. We joined them when they were 11, and followed them until their 17th years, most books I've read have either started the protagonists at a later time, glossed over the development and aging, or simply not stuck with the characters for nearly as long a time.

I don't think I've ever felt as invested in a world before this, and i'm very sad that the stories are over. I hope very strongly that JK decides to write more in that universe. It would be great if she visited, directly or indirectly, some of the characters from the series, but what i really want is more tales of Muggles and Wizards.

I know that this got a little long winded, but I've felt the need to write this out since I finished it.
Xsavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:30 AM   #7
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
I was at Amazon yesterday looking at something and Potter was in slots 1, 2, 4, 7 & 9 for 'most popular' in the last hour.

JK is in the counting house...
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsavior View Post
(Spoiler Free: the sadness I refer to is simply that it is over, not that any characters did or did not die)

I finished it last night, and i have to say, as a testament to JK, I've never felt this ... need to grieve... due to a book before. I know that i have read more skillfully written books. I know that I have invested more time into other series (Wheel of Time, Song of Fire and Ice, to a lesser extent, Sword of Truth) but I have realized that I have never wanted a story to go on as much as I wanted this one too.

I think a lot of it has to do with the growth of the characters. We joined them when they were 11, and followed them until their 17th years, most books I've read have either started the protagonists at a later time, glossed over the development and aging, or simply not stuck with the characters for nearly as long a time.

I don't think I've ever felt as invested in a world before this, and i'm very sad that the stories are over. I hope very strongly that JK decides to write more in that universe. It would be great if she visited, directly or indirectly, some of the characters from the series, but what i really want is more tales of Muggles and Wizards.

I know that this got a little long winded, but I've felt the need to write this out since I finished it.
Robin Hobb's Farseer Universe --

never have I wanted a series to continue as this one... Fitz, The Fool, Night Eyes... *sniff* sorry for this OT post...

To bring it back on topic.. I am on chapter 10 of HP7...
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I am on Chapter 32... so almost finished!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsavior View Post
I hope very strongly that JK decides to write more in that universe. It would be great if she visited, directly or indirectly, some of the characters from the series, but what i really want is more tales of Muggles and Wizards.
Albus' youth was interesting, that could make for great stories.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:14 AM   #11
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
In an interview on the Today show, Rowling indicates that she may write a Harry Potter encyclopedia, to give information that was prevented from going into the novels due to the constraints of story-telling.

**Warning! Link contains Spoilers!**
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:19 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

**Small spoiler alert**

I was NOT a big fan of the epilogue. To me it sounded too much like living happily ever after... the rest was cool, though, especially the chapter on Albus' and Snake's youth.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 07-27-2007 at 10:55 AM. Reason: added missing small but relevant word "not"
Old 07-27-2007, 10:48 AM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
If you'd like to read more commentary on the book, there's a Yahoo group called "Harry Potter for Grownups" that you might find interesting. I have to warn you, though, right now they seem to be pretty much focused on tearing the book apart (particularly those who don't like how Rowling portrayed Snape).

The list is full of spoilers, so I wouldn't go there until you've finished the book.

Alexander, the epilogue has apparently not been well received by fans, though I liked it, purely for the one significant scene regarding the younger son. (Hard to avoid spoilers here!) For me, that wrapped things up nicely regarding the long-term development of the principal characters.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Oops, I meant to say that I did not like the epilogue either. Sometimes I think faster than I type ... ;(
Old 07-27-2007, 11:24 AM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Yes, me too, that epilog bothered me. It was clearly an afterthought like a trailer to a next phase or other story.
Here I have a question as to why Victoria and Teddy should be there, they are too old for that are they?