Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 05:42 AM   #16
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I don't see a problem with a publisher telling the price of a book, personally... Naturally, if Amazon wants to (re)sell it for a lower price than they've bought the book, they're fine to do so.

And naturally, you're free to not buy a book for the given price as well...
Except in the model described and demanded by MacMillan (which, for the record, I support) does not allow Amazon the opportunity to resell or fit the bill to sell at a lower price. That was the whole point, the publishers don't want those lower prices because it's leading to price competition that they believe will eventually force them out of their blockbuster HB pricing model, and thus, all of their profits for most books.

So, while I like the "agency" model, which is what Apple does for apps on their app store, btw, it's worth noting that it takes Amazon almost completely out of the picture in terms of being a retailer, and places them in the position of distribution channel instead. That's why they're so unhappy, because taking a loss on 9.99 new releases helps them push hardware sales, supposedly. They will no longer be able to do that with MacMillan books.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It's probably because we have a fixed bookprice that I don't see the problem... Here, shops can't sell below the given price. Period.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #18
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
Well that was pretty stupid considering there is no copy protection on CDs and ripping them with even a very weak modern computer is a trivial task that requires little overall time. In fact, the number one online music sales outlet, iTunes, has a rather convenient CD ripping functionality built right in. How's that for you? A company that thrives on music sales makes it easy as pie to import your own existing CD collection.

You can't blame the industry this time around. It was your own gaffe.
That is illegal where i live!

I can also strip DRM from ebooks very simply so if your saying CD's are fine because I could illegally take the music from them how can you hold exactly the same thing against DRM ebooks?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #19
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
That is illegal where i live!

I can also strip DRM from ebooks very simply so if your saying CD's are fine because I could illegally take the music from them how can you hold exactly the same thing against DRM ebooks?
It is not illegal in the USA, because CD's do not have copy protection. What makes stripping DRM illegal in the USA is the DMCA which prohibits circumvention of copy protection measures. Again, CDs do not have DRM. So long as your copy is only for personal use, it's covered, and that has been tested in court. So if you live somewhere not in the USA, I can't speak to your laws. However, I wouldn't be surprised if you think it's illegal and it's not really. Many people would be led to believe it's illegal to rip a CD for your music collection in the US by the RIAA when it's definitely not.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:05 AM   #20
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
It is not illegal in the USA, because CD's do not have copy protection. What makes stripping DRM illegal in the USA is the DMCA which prohibits circumvention of copy protection measures. Again, CDs do not have DRM. So long as your copy is only for personal use, it's covered, and that has been tested in court. So if you live somewhere not in the USA, I can't speak to your laws. However, I wouldn't be surprised if you think it's illegal and it's not really. Many people would be led to believe it's illegal to rip a CD for your music collection in the US by the RIAA when it's definitely not.
im in the Uk and yes format shifting is illegal!

its being looked at currently, but still illegal for now.

Not that they actuall;y actively chase and prosecute people for ripping their own CD's so teh risk is at least minimal.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #21
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Population of USA - 308m
Population of world - 6,800m

Proportion of the world which does not live in USA - 95.5%

Proportion of the USA population who forget that from time to time - *

* answers on a postcard as we'd say in the UK (<1% global population)
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #22
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
It would be nice if Kindle readers unite... in the Kindle forum.

How many topics have been created in the last few days about the same topic?
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #23
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
so basically you're saying that companies who want to make a profit are being greedy?
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #24
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
i think everyone should stop buying kindles and buy PocketBook and Onyx EBRs
Well said!
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #25
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
$For books I can live without straight after publication, I expect to pay about half that in twelve months time.
As long as you don't expect to buy anything published by Macmillan, you'll probably do just fine.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #26
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I don't see a problem with a publisher telling the price of a book, personally... Naturally, if Amazon wants to (re)sell it for a lower price than they've bought the book, they're fine to do so.
Well, that was the crux of the argument. Amazon wanted to sell for whatever they pleased, Macmillan wanted Amazon to sell for whatever Macmillan told them to sell for.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #27
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Okay I'll join the boycott.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #28
Anyse
Devoted Kindle reader
Anyse began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I read a very good article in the Washington Post the other day detailing how the price of $9.99 was reached. Amazon was willing to take a loss on each Bestseller sold, computing the cost of the Kindle into the bargain. Therefore, when we bought our Kindles, in a way, it was a quid pro quo that we paid for the difference (the loss was absorbed in what we paid for our Kindles) and Amazon absorbed the losses this way. Now, as the publishers want more money, and this is ironic, Amazon will make MORE money on the Bestsellers at the new price and the publisher's will actually get LESS. So, in a way, what we ought to strive for is that those of us who bought our Kindles befor this week, should be able to continue at the prices that we paid as, and this remaind to be seen, it seems that Amazon will be able to sell the Kindels for less as they will no longer have to absorb any losses on them from this point on. This, I feel, would be a good comprimise for those of us who bought our Kindles with the expectation of getting the Bstsellers for $9.99.

What do you think?
Anyse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestseller, boycott, greed, kindle, publishers