Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #766
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Actually, the "image download / success report" ratio shows that only one percent report their success, which is close to what psychology tells us should be expected. So perhaps 12,000 might be a closer estimate for Kindles debricked. Remember that people have to go to the trouble of registering here to post a success report, and a LOT of people avoid that for sites that require email confirmation.
So, "over ten thousand served" could be a valid subtitle for this thread.
I even got a PM from somebody who said they were referred to this thread from Amazon.com.
The only problem with this view is that the pastebin only has 5200 views right now.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #767
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@adi23: Thanks for that write-up.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=765
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #768
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
The only problem with this view is that the pastebin only has 5200 views right now.
I was basing my estimate on image downloads rather than pastebin accesses (and there was a previous pastebin before the current one, which also had significant views).

Even ignoring the various pastebin mirrors, and the image links in guides and posts at "other" websites", and ignoring the multiple debrickings using already-downloaded images, that is still the same order of magnitide (except about 2% reporting success instead of 1%). And the debrickings not using the pastebin tend to shrink that toward 1%, so reality is a lot closer to my 12,000 estimate than your 1,200 estimate...

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-22-2012 at 10:07 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #769
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The pastebin contains two mirrors for the K3 3.0.2 debricking repair images. The new 3.0.2 mirrors are single compressed files, not subject to the "size limit and multi-part zip file" limitations at Mediafire. Thanks guys.

There is also a mirror for the pastebin (http:/snipurl.com/debrickX, where X changes each time that mirror changes). Does anybody know how to edit a snipurl to point to a new location?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #770
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike76 View Post
Yes, I know it wasn't too smart job, but I haven't found any 4.1.0 images.
I'm continuing my "risky" debricking. I've dumped /dev/mmcblk0p1 from a K4S updated to 4.1.0 fw, and replaced the K4B's /dev/mmcblk0p1 with this image. I was surprised it works but it does - in spite of that the kernel remains the 4.0.0 one left from my first hasty (and ballsy ) debrick. Now I have K4 SO with 4.1.0 fw and it's able to connect to my Amazon account. However, this 4.1.0 fw is not the same as the original K4B one - it has noticeably lesser contrast and worse font rendering.
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #771
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike76 View Post
I'm continuing my "risky" debricking. I've dumped /dev/mmcblk0p1 from a K4S updated to 4.1.0 fw, and replaced the K4B's /dev/mmcblk0p1 with this image. I was surprised it works but it does - in spite of that the kernel remains the 4.0.0 one left from my first hasty (and ballsy ) debrick. Now I have K4 SO with 4.1.0 fw and it's able to connect to my Amazon account. However, this 4.1.0 fw is not the same as the original K4B one - it has noticeably lesser contrast and worse font rendering.
The K4B ships with new bolder fonts, and perhaps an improved eink update algorithm. Perhaps flashing a K4B firmware onto a K4S will also improve the eink contrast on the old K4 too.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #772
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oops:
Old 10-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #773
mand
Zealot
mand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th gen; Kindle Keyboard; iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That (win-7) will limit how much help I can be, but if willing to take your answers in parts....

Part by me and part by someone else....
Thank you so much - somehow I failed to see this earlier.

Neither can I translate to Win-7; taught myself Win 3.1 but that was back when I had both time and brain.

Yes I have 32 bit!

I will have to have another go tomorrow (barely a half-hour to play, today, and no-brain this evening; see my sig) but

Quote:
Removing the .001 and .002 was probably the "right thing to do" -
at least that would be my (non-Windows user) guess.
Unless the remaining parts of the filenames where the same.
You need both files present to un-zip a multi-part zip file.

The image files will probably not use the zip compression once they are moved to other hosting.
You would be doing yourself a favor to install 7zip:
http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
Thanks! That's what I needed! Never bothered much with zipping and as I say, this laptop is inherited together with its motley software.

I have never had anything to do with multi-part files so this is Here Be Dragons territory (always fun).

If we're lucky I won't need any more help but can't look at it now. If in trouble again, I'll be back...

Thank you for this leg-up...
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #774
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mand View Post

Thanks! That's what I needed! Never bothered much with zipping and as I say, this laptop is inherited together with its motley software.

I have never had anything to do with multi-part files so this is Here Be Dragons territory (always fun).
I was wrong about the filenames of a multiple part zip file.

The names as downloaded are correct (with the *.zip.001, *.zip.002).
Although you may have to list them both following the unzip command.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #775
geekmaster

Quote:
I was wrong about the filenames of a multiple part zip file.

The names as downloaded are correct (with the *.zip.001, *.zip.002).
Although you may have to list them both following the unzip command.
With 7-zip (and winzip, as I recall) you just unzip the first file and it knows that the zip file is incomplete and continues to the next one in the sequence, until complete.

Other unzippers may have different behavior applicable to your suggestion.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #776
waterlubber
hobbyist
waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (Non-Touch)
Garrrg!!! WHAT THE HECK DOES THIS MEAN? All I want to do is roll back the software...is there a step-by-step guide from Step 1 to 999,999,999,999,999,999,999?
waterlubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #777
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlubber View Post
Garrrg!!! WHAT THE HECK DOES THIS MEAN? All I want to do is roll back the software...is there a step-by-step guide from Step 1 to 999,999,999,999,999,999,999?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180789

Plus additional information in the first post of this thread.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #778
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlubber View Post
What kindle model? The K3 uses different tools than are used on the K4 and newer.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #779
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
How to restore Paperwhite? ("Repair Needed")
Damaged this file: AdManager.jar.

USB-disk is accessible less than 10 seconds, "Magic Key" for the diags menu is unknown...

Last edited by kaznelson; 10-23-2012 at 07:41 AM.
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #780
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznelson View Post
How to restore Paperwhite? ("Repair Needed")
Damaged this file: AdManager.jar.

USB-disk is accessible less than 10 seconds, "Magic Key" for the diags menu is unknown...
Not posted here (yet).

Be certain to post the details once you get them figured out.

Tags
debricking