Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Recommendations for good mysteries (preferably police/crime mystery)

looking for good mysteries with (all of a sudden, i feel stupid. i don't know the term for it) cop-partners. ugh, that sounded weird; sorry, taking a break from writing a take-home exam for econometrics class.

anyway, i'm a big fan of Marshall Karp (Lomax & Biggs mysteries) and Chris Grabenstein (John Ceepak mysteries). i'm big on the mystery, and not on hetero-romance. really looking for mind-benders, but i also like a bit of bromance/friendship angles.

hope i made myself clear. i think i just sounded weird
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
My wife and I are fans of Richard Montanari's Kevin Byrne and Jessica Balzano series. They can get a bit gory at times, but I think would fit the bill.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
My wife and I are fans of Richard Montanari's Kevin Byrne and Jessica Balzano series. They can get a bit gory at times, but I think would fit the bill.
I'll check it out I would prefer male partners though. weird request, I know.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Apologies - I wasn't paying enough attention. Have you tried Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware and Milo Sturgis books? Milo is the (gay) cop and Alex is a forensic psychologist, but they seem to work together as a team almost all the time. Very good series.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Apologies - I wasn't paying enough attention. Have you tried Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware and Milo Sturgis books? Milo is the (gay) cop and Alex is a forensic psychologist, but they seem to work together as a team almost all the time. Very good series.
oh thanks i'm not necessarily looking for gay characters, but this is great too
Old 04-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Have you seen this thread?

Mystery and Crime Lovers... Come Here.

I think it is intended to be a general discussion thread (I haven't read more than a few posts) but you may find some suggestions and comments there too.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm very fond of Colin Dexter's "Inspector Morse" series, with Morse and Sergeant Lewis as a team. They're a great combination.

(If you have no objection to British crime novels. Somewhat different to the American kind, of course.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Dana Stabenow

Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak Mysteries and Liam Campbell Mysteries.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
looking for good mysteries with (all of a sudden, i feel stupid. i don't know the term for it) cop-partners. [...]
James H. McClure's excellent Kramer and Zondi novels have been out of print for a long time but are finally being republished.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I recommend Tony Hillerman's Leaphorn & Chee series.

The first three feature only Joe Leaphorn. The fourth introduces Jim Chee as the sole detective. Later books bring the two together. All are centered on the Four Corners area and the massive Navajo Nation with its tribal police.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
How 'bout....

Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks series, Connolly's Harry Bosch (bit of a loner though) and possibly James Lee Burke, the Robicheaux canon.......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
+1 for the Alex Delaware novels, one of my must reads.
Also suggest trying Reginald Hill's Dalziel & Pascoe series; older no nonsense Yorkshire copper teamed with a younger University educated graduate.
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Recommendations for good mysteries (preferably police/crime mystery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I recommend Tony Hillerman's Leaphorn & Chee series.

The first three feature only Joe Leaphorn. The fourth introduces Jim Chee as the sole detective. Later books bring the two together. All are centered on the Four Corners area and the massive Navajo Nation with its tribal police.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:21 AM   #14
Judek
Judek began at the beginning.

Device: sony e-reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
looking for good mysteries with (all of a sudden, i feel stupid. i don't know the term for it) cop-partners. ugh, that sounded weird; sorry, taking a break from writing a take-home exam for econometrics class.

anyway, i'm a big fan of Marshall Karp (Lomax & Biggs mysteries) and Chris Grabenstein (John Ceepak mysteries). i'm big on the mystery, and not on hetero-romance. really looking for mind-benders, but i also like a bit of bromance/friendship angles.

hope i made myself clear. i think i just sounded weird
Have you tried John Sandborn? The "Prey" series or anything really. Unputdownable!
Judek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judek View Post
Have you tried John Sandborn? The "Prey" series or anything really. Unputdownable!
I suspect you mean "John Sandford".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote