Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
talk to me about Game of Thrones

First off, I'm not much of a series reader. Does the first book have any closure at all? Would you get anything out of reading just the first book? Of course if I loved it, I would continue reading the series, but I would like to feel like I *finished* a book if you know what I mean.

Second, I plan to watch the HBO series, but will have to wait for the DVD (probably wait for the DVD to go on sale at Amazon). So it could be a long wait. But anyway, do you think it would be better to read first or watch it first?

Thanks!
eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you're not much of a series reader... I wouldn't even start.
And no, you will get no sense of closure from reading just the first book.

Don't get me wrong... I love Martin's writing and some of his characters are the most memorable I've read, but I absolutely hate his choice of format (plus I think he's starting to "wing it").

But if you're going to read it, read it before watching the series, I say.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
but I absolutely hate his choice of format (plus I think he's starting to "wing it").
So much ditto to both of these points. His format is just sheer laziness and ineptitude, IMO. Instead of telling a coherent and cohesive story in a natural progression, he hops around for 800 pages to tie up only some of the strings at the end. Oy. And winging it, absolutely. The last two books were a disgrace. Of course I did read them, lol! But I did it in one fell swoop and I won't be around for the next one in umpty-ump years.

You should always read the book first!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Always read first.

I stopped after the third. They were good and I enjoyed them quite a bit, but I've read a lot of go nowhere fantasy and needed to go in a new direction.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Condillac
Condillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3
I watched the series first, then i got curious about the book. I was reading the 3rd vol, but I dropped. Its like Issybird said, he goes on and on untill the end of the book... on the last 100 pages everything that should have happened happens and the book ends.

About the tv show and the book: there is no significant differences between then. Some occasional changes just to make the series more fluide on tv, but no loss of sense. You won't get much more from the book. So if you want to know only the plot you can definitly watch the series only.
Condillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
there is no "closure" in the first book, I enjoyed the first book but buy the time I got to the third book I was thinking along the lines of "Ok, you're just dragging this out for the sake of selling another book now" I would say just watch the series, it is near identical to the book.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I rather like the series. But it's a HUGE sprawling work which has two more books to go before it ends. If you're not a series reader to start with, you most certainly won't get closure of any sort from the first book and I wouldn't recommend even starting it.

Martin also has a technique which many readers find annoying. He takes a number of character viewpoints and scatters them through the work in place of chapters. I have actually found that it's a more coherent experience to follow a specific character's series of "chapters" rather than moving from one point of view to another in the order Martin uses.

Another annoyance for some is the overlap between and within books. At times chapters are only dealing with concurrent events. This was a problem I noticed in Jordan's works as well. One book might advance the total plot line by only a month or so because the Author was catching up on what was happening "back on the ranch".

What I like about the series is the characterization and methods by which some characters change and develop. He makes wonderful use of some typical fantasy machinery such as the dream vision, the strange psychic link between creatures and humans, undead monsters, dragons, impossible sounding curses and prophecies which are resolved, etc.

One problem I am worried about is whether Martin has too many irons in this particular fire and that the flame will die out before he gets to the end. I don't think it will, but we'll have to wait and see. In fairness, he has sold 18 million copies so far.

I agree with Issybird, always read the series first.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 08-26-2011 at 02:32 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I am finishing the second book. So far, I am having fun - but the above comments are correct - there is lots of empty space then everything happens all of a sudden, at the end. And no closure, quite the contrary.

If you don't plan on reading the series, don't start.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But it's a HUGE sprawling work which has two more books to go before it ends.
No way he wraps it up in seven books. The book count will change again before all is said and done.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i read the first book years ago and despite owning the entire series, i'm not gonna read them. supposedly the last 2 books were terrible and i'd read rather 5 good books instead of 2000 pages of dreck.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #11
McFessel
Writer guy
McFessel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McFessel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McFessel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McFessel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McFessel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McFessel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McFessel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McFessel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McFessel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McFessel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McFessel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3
I've seen rave reviews of Game of Thrones since it came out in '96 ... but avoided reading it since I wanted to tackle the whole series from start to finish in one go. Obviously I've been waiting a while to start...

Well, then the HBO series came along. And I *really* wanted to watch it. So, after 15 years, I caved and read Game of Thrones. And (for me) it lived up to the hype and I immediately dove into the second book (still on it) as soon as I finished watching Season 1. That said, I'd read the book first and then watch the HBO series, as so many here have already said. I think it condenses some of the fluff in the book without sacrificing much content -- a very good adaptation.

The second season is in production now, so hopefully it won't be too long until the next installment. My question is: Will Martin focus more on the television series now it's a huge success instead of working on the last two books? I'd like to think that with the release of Book 5 his pace will pick up again, but who knows...

You will find no closure from reading Game of Thrones -- but, if you like epic fantasy, it is still a good read regardless.

Self-promotion deleted - MODERATOR

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-12-2011 at 05:31 AM.
McFessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
Condillac
Condillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFessel View Post
but avoided reading it since I wanted to tackle the whole series from start to finish in one go. Obviously I've been waiting a while to start...
I think that is the problem with the book (or with me). If each book does not have a closure, when you start a new vol just right after finishing one, the rhythm shouldn't suffer a rupture; which unfortunately happens.
Maybe the interval between each volume would supress this uneasiness I felt. But if really there isn't a closure, should this be necessary?
Condillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Don't read it its a horrible series. The first book is really good, then it starts going down from there.

Book 1:5.0 stars
Book 2:3.5 starts
Book 3:2.5 starts
>>> I stopped here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No way he wraps it up in seven books. The book count will change again before all is said and done.
Agreed I started reading it because somewhere I heard it was a trilogy after I finished the third book I knew it was no where near done. I wouldn't so much mind if I liked his latter books but they where really bad.

Not only is he winging it he's wringing more books get him more money. I had the same feeling with the WoT series and stopped at book 6.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #14
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I'm very, very surprised by your evaluation, =X=. The first 3 books of the series are terrific, and the third is widely considered the best. Can I ask what was it about them you didn't like?

For me, I would say the first three would all get at least a 4 out of 5 stars. It's only the last two books that were disappointing. Although somewhat forgiveable, since they would probably be the equivalent of the 'middle part' of a trilogy.

And like all middle parts, it's got the difficult task of keeping the story interesting while still developing details to flesh out the plot.

In any case, I disagree with most of the opinions here. I would say A Song of Ice and Fire is a very good series. But considering how long Martin seems to take to write, it might be better to get a good idea about when he will actually wrap things up before delving into them.

Last edited by afa; 08-26-2011 at 05:34 PM.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Agreed I started reading it because somewhere I heard it was a trilogy after I finished the third book I knew it was no where near done. I wouldn't so much mind if I liked his latter books but they where really bad
This is true. But it completely baffles me how someone could have a trilogy planned, and then sometime before book three ... ... "I'm sorry, I think I might need six books to tell the story now". Then while writing book four ... ... "I'm sorry, book four just got too large and I need to split it into two separate novels (but I promise that book five will be out very soon )" Which brings the total to seven.

Milk... it does an author (and publisher) good.

I, myself, love endings. So much so, that I think every book should have at least one.