Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-25-2023, 12:42 AM   #526
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
You're right, the same shell is available on Amazon. I saw the AliExpress ad and went with it, not thinking of Amazon as an alternate source at all. It's a little more expensive on Amazon, but you'd get it quicker.

I saw that one reviewer agreed that it might provide some degree of protection in the event of a fall.

For me, it does solve the too-much-weight problem that the other covers pose.

Jim
For iPads I have often opted for the Apple smart folio cover (no back, magnetic attachment to side). But then one of the corners of my mini got dinged a little, and Apple wouldn't take it for trade in credit. So my new mini has a cover: clear back and sides, and fold up stand cover front. And it is holding up better than the folio covers did.

I've often thought someone should make one that doesn't make such an effort to cover the back, maybe just provide a bit of a bumper around the edges. Not sure how much weight that would save. If I could make a nice clean cut I would try it myself.

My Pocketbook Era is waterproof and has a rubberized back, and so they have a cover that snaps on the non-grip side (the clip-in points are under a removable panel) so it just adds weight of the front protection. I just ordered one. A lot more inexpensive than the ones Amazon wants to sell you for Kindle: only $20.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-25-2023 at 06:51 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 05:39 PM   #527
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I really like my Scribe. I like the easel function of the Kindle case. But no more than 60 days into it the case is beginning to fray along the edge. Not cool. I wish Fintie would do their easel stand case for the Scribe. Excellent case that does just what it should and takes at least 2 years to start showing wear, not two months. No matter what anyone else may say.

ETA Fintie does make the easel case for the Scribe now. It is the same as the Kindle case with the two tilt angle options. They also have another that is a flip out easel that is a book opening stand. My order is placed; the waiting begins.

Last edited by LDB; 02-16-2023 at 05:58 PM.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2023, 08:26 PM   #528
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I really like my Scribe. I like the easel function of the Kindle case. But no more than 60 days into it the case is beginning to fray along the edge. Not cool. I wish Fintie would do their easel stand case for the Scribe. Excellent case that does just what it should and takes at least 2 years to start showing wear, not two months. No matter what anyone else may say.

ETA Fintie does make the easel case for the Scribe now. It is the same as the Kindle case with the two tilt angle options. They also have another that is a flip out easel that is a book opening stand. My order is placed; the waiting begins.
My Scribe cover frayed really badly after just over one month of use. I contacted Amazon customer service about it and they gave me a full refund. They should do the same for you. I replaced it with the leather cover, which is currently on sale, and so far it seems to be wearing much better.

ETA. Although it frayed after just over a month of use, the purchase date was late September. I.e. this was well outside the return window. Indicating to me that Amazon knows this fabric cover is defective.

Last edited by Pjama; 02-16-2023 at 08:29 PM.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 09:49 PM   #529
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
My Scribe cover frayed really badly after just over one month of use. I contacted Amazon customer service about it and they gave me a full refund. They should do the same for you. I replaced it with the leather cover, which is currently on sale, and so far it seems to be wearing much better.

ETA. Although it frayed after just over a month of use, the purchase date was late September. I.e. this was well outside the return window. Indicating to me that Amazon knows this fabric cover is defective.
When I go on Amazon it tells me the window closed on 1/31/23. I'm looking for a side door but so far no luck.

ETA just finished a help chat and got an RMA for the case and will get a full refund. Thanks for the helpful info.

Last edited by LDB; 02-16-2023 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:14 PM   #530
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The Fintie looks nice, but makes it 1.8 times heavier. I'm probably going to get a clear case for mine. I just want something to keep the Pen from going anywhere and make it less slippery, e.g.:

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Amazo...dp/B09Y6T9KF5/
Advert
Old 02-16-2023, 11:14 PM   #531
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When I go on Amazon it tells me the window closed on 1/31/23. I'm looking for a side door but so far no luck.

ETA just finished a help chat and got an RMA for the case and will get a full refund. Thanks for the helpful info.
Glad to help!
Old 02-17-2023, 12:44 AM   #532
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
I replaced it with the leather cover, which is currently on sale, and so far it seems to be wearing much better.
The fabric and leather ones are no longer on sale since at least yesterday. They are back to $60 and $80 in the US. That deal may have been just for Valentines.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 02:20 PM   #533
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The fabric and leather ones are no longer on sale since at least yesterday. They are back to $60 and $80 in the US. That deal may have been just for Valentines.
Ah last time I looked, which I thought was yesterday, but it might not have been they were still on sale. It was after Valentine's though.
Shame, I’m sure they will come back on sale soon. I would honestly expect the fabric one to be withdrawn from the market pretty soon, as it is of shoddy quality. The special blotchy leather one is not findable by searching, so that might be on the way out. I could only find that one from a direct link from a blog.
They are very over priced, even by the standards of Amazon's previous kindle covers.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:22 PM   #534
LDB
Baker Street Irregular

My Fintie case arrived today. It is HEAVY. I guess I'll be ordering another Amazon case after all.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:47 PM   #535
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My Fintie case arrived today. It is HEAVY. I guess I'll be ordering another Amazon case after all.
That's what I was seeing in the the product description that put me off. I ordered the clear case I mentioned upthread, arriving later today.

Update: I like the clear case. Does not add much weight, but makes it easier to hold and secures the Pen.

Last edited by tomsem; 02-22-2023 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-22-2023, 11:03 AM   #536
LDB
Baker Street Irregular

If I just wanted extra protection and pen holding that would be perfect but I really want the two reading angle settings most of all. I'm going to have to order the Amazon case I returned and hope for better quality this time.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:52 PM   #537
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
If I just wanted extra protection and pen holding that would be perfect but I really want the two reading angle settings most of all. I'm going to have to order the Amazon case I returned and hope for better quality this time.
I have the leather one, and it seems a lot stronger than the fabric one so far - no fraying, and it feels as if the edges have been smoothed down properly and not left ragged.
Old 02-22-2023, 04:03 PM   #538
LDB
Baker Street Irregular

Quote:
I have the leather one, and it seems a lot stronger than the fabric one so far - no fraying, and it feels as if the edges have been smoothed down properly and not left ragged.
I hate thinking of spending that much for a case. That must be their highest profit margin item. And I hate only being able to find it on Amazon so far. I found the denim case at Best Buy. And when you tell them to show Scribe case they only show Scribe, not 40 things irrelevant plus the few appropriate. I know it's marketing, show more and they'll buy more, but in many cases it pi$$es people off and they shop elsewhere. Sorry, rant over.

Last edited by LDB; 02-22-2023 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-22-2023, 04:30 PM   #539
Pjama
Guru

The price is ridiculous, agreed. I hope you find a suitable case soon.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:38 PM   #540
LDB
Baker Street Irregular

Quote:
The price is ridiculous, agreed. I hope you find a suitable case soon.
Thanks. I ordered the burgundy leather. I'm getting a refund for the denim so it's only "costing" me $20 extra. I'm pretending that's what it cost. It should arrive Monday.

ETA Shipped early they said and arrived today. I got the burgundy leather. It is good looking and appears very well made. It's still a little heavy but half the weight of the Fintie. I like it, except for the high price. It should be good for a very long time I'd think.

Last edited by LDB; 02-24-2023 at 04:27 PM.