Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-29-2020, 02:28 PM   #1
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
MacOS Catalina and Adobe Digital Editions

I am not ready for Big Sur and I have put off upgrading to Catalina because it flags Adobe DE 2.0 as unsupported. My workflow is to download my ebooks with Adobe DE 2.0 and then remove DRM. I have hesitated to upgrade Adobe DE for fear of unbreakable (or unbroken) DRM.

Is there another way to download my ebooks with Adobe DRM (I typically get my ebooks from Google Play books as ePub) and still be able to remove it?

I think I need to upgrade to Catalina to stay somewhat current.
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
I am not ready for Big Sur and I have put off upgrading to Catalina because it flags Adobe DE 2.0 as unsupported. My workflow is to download my ebooks with Adobe DE 2.0 and then remove DRM. I have hesitated to upgrade Adobe DE for fear of unbreakable (or unbroken) DRM.

Is there another way to download my ebooks with Adobe DRM (I typically get my ebooks from Google Play books as ePub) and still be able to remove it?

--MH
You can try the latest version of ADE with Google Play Books and see if you can still remove the DRM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
Carpman
Connoisseur
Carpman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
@dynabook, OSX Catalina is now no longer an option, Big Sur is the new kid on the block.

As long as you ensure your applications support 64bit and you update drivers for printers/scanners etc you should be fine.

I installed Big Sur today on my iMac and it does seems lightning fast compared to Mojave. I spent time yesterday ensuring my software and printer/scanner drivers were up todate.

You may find this of some help: https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/

Install and run it and it will show you which of your software etc is compatible for 64bit computing.
Carpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I think the question here is whether DeDRM will work on current ADE 4.x and GooglePlay books on macOS Catalina or Big Sur. If I'm understanding correctly, dynabook would like confirmation of this before taking the plunge.

Also, it is still possible to upgrade to Catalina. Info from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Direct link to Catalina installer: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/maco...314?ls=1&mt=12
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post

--MH
I've used ADE 4.5.11 on MAC OS and been able to remove DRM. This issue is that one day you'll run into a server that enforces Adobe's hardened DRM though I've only found one site that used it and it's a technical ebook site.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #6
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
I have the Catalina installer and an installation of Adobe DE 4. I have not used it because I was afraid that I would be locked out of my ebooks.

Thanks DNSB. I will try ADE 4.

--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:34 AM   #7
mike54321
mike54321 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw
Running ADE 2.0 on OSX Big Sur, Catalina

I know that this is a slightly older thread, but the following might be helpful if you want to avoid ADE 4.5 and the "hardened" DRM.

You can also run the 32-bit windows version of the old Adobe Digital Editions 2.0x under Big Sur (tested by me) or other 64-bit OSX versions (Catalina and possibly Monterey) by running a special version of wine that runs 32 bit apps.

First, I recommend backing up any existing OSX Documents/ADE folder as installing ADE 2.0x could overwrite it.

Download ADE 2.0x for Windows. It's easiest to find later if you put it on your Mac desktop.

Install homebrew from the terminal (OSX command line installation tool). Note that if you haven't already installed the XCode command line tools from the App Store, it may prompt you to do so.

Code:
/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"
Then install this version of wine that runs 32-bit apps from the terminal:

Code:
brew install --cask --no-quarantine gcenx/wine/wine-crossover
and winetricks:

Code:
brew install winetricks
Then install these libraries required by ADE 2.0. You will need follow prompts to and hit enter/press ok a couple of times during the lengthy .NET installation.

Code:
winetricks corefonts dotnet35sp1
Start windows using winefile.

Code:
winefile &
You can now install ADE 2.0 for Windows. Ideally, you have put the ADE installer file on your desktop so it is easy to find. Double click the file to install.

Authorize ADE 2.0 with your adobe login and password.

You can now double click an acsm file in winefile and it will open ADE 2.0 and download it to your Documents/ADE folder. Again, acsm files are easiest to find if they are on your mac desktop.

After you have downloaded the epub with ADE 2.0,you can read it there. Or you can import into Calibre using the DeDRM plugin as documented elsewhere. Note that you may have to extract your adobe keys if you haven't done so previously.

The drawback is that you will need to start winefile every time you want to run ADE 2.0, where installing ADE 4.5 is native to osx.
mike54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:36 AM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Another option is also available. You can now use the ACSM input plugin for calibre to download books instead of ADE.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote