Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
Scruffy1
Scruffy1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura Edition 2
Kobo Aura Edition 2 Battery Drain

Greetings,

I recently purchased a Kobo Aura Edition 2 to replace my 5 year old Kobo Touch as my main ereader. My reading habits haven’t changed. I have noticed that the Aura’s battery lasting about 1 to 1.5 week between charging. Whereas, the Touch’s battery would last about 3 to 4 weeks. The Aura setting are: wifi is disable, sync is off, sleep cover is off and the light is off. The software version is 4.1.7729.

Per Kobo’s customer service, I did a factory reset and am experiencing similar battery drain. It’s an odd battery drain. One day, I am reading (for 1 hour) the battery settings will read only 1 or 2 percent drop. The next day, one hour of reading shows a 13 or 15 percent battery drain.

My question is:
1) is this normal for the Aura Edition 2?
2) what firmware has the best battery management?

Thanks
Scruffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:43 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you are using firmware 4.1.7729, it is right in the middle of changes made fix bugs that sapped the battery. At the very least, the next two releases had more fixes. Some of these might have been specific to the Aura ONE, but others should have helped with all devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #3
Scruffy1
Scruffy1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura Edition 2
Somewhere I saw a link to firmware releases and will try your suggestion. I'll read through the bugs reports. Think I will try to upgrade the firmware manually versus via Kobo desktop (or wifi). I don't care much for the new Home screen.

Thank you very much. I was most dishearten to see the battery charge was not on par with my Touch.
Scruffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:40 AM   #4
hoisource
hoisource began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura 2
kobos are bad

lets be honest here: there are many complaints about kobos, especially the aura series across the internet. There isnt some problem with these devices, rather, the product itself is just bad.
I own a kobo but in all honesty, theres no reason to buy an aura 2 when you compare it to the kindle paperwhite 3. Same price and the paperwhite beats the kobo in almost every major category of competition.
For all those reading, just buy a kindle and be done with it. You can use calibre to convert books anyway.
hoisource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:41 AM   #5
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoisource View Post
lets be honest here: there are many complaints about kobos, especially the aura series across the internet. There isnt some problem with these devices, rather, the product itself is just bad.
I own a kobo but in all honesty, theres no reason to buy an aura 2 when you compare it to the kindle paperwhite 3. Same price and the paperwhite beats the kobo in almost every major category of competition.
For all those reading, just buy a kindle and be done with it. You can use calibre to convert books anyway.
Funny how you says it beats kobo's but then not name any points or facts. I think kobo beats kindle in every way possible. Comfort light, more file support, fact that you can expand internal mem in some models, modded firmwares, games.
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2018, 08:24 AM   #6
hoisource
hoisource began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohhnyMix View Post
Funny how you says it beats kobo's but then not name any points or facts. I think kobo beats kindle in every way possible. Comfort light, more file support, fact that you can expand internal mem in some models, modded firmwares, games.
very much comparing the aura 2 to the paperwhite 3 here. aura 1 is a great device except for the battery life. the new kobo yet again looks good.

in the case of aura 2 its worse than the paperwhite 3 in almost every respect and on the whole, the aura series seems to have inconsistent battery life.
hoisource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #7
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I don't have any battery problems with my Aura Ed. 2. You might want to contact CS to have it replaced under warranty.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
Quote:
very much comparing the aura 2 to the paperwhite 3 here. aura 1 is a great device except for the battery life. the new kobo yet again looks good.

in the case of aura 2 its worse than the paperwhite 3 in almost every respect and on the whole, the aura series seems to have inconsistent battery life.
Well it sounded liek you where shitting on all kobo's...

"lets be honest here: there are many complaints about kobos, especially the aura series across the internet. There isnt some problem with these devices, rather, the product itself is just bad.
For all those reading, just buy a kindle and be done with it. You can use calibre to convert books anyway."

I mean its fint that you love kindles but its weird that you post something like that on the kobo section of the forum... almost makes me think you are Bezos. So please stop being so biased because of your own experience while many including me have a great ride and am glad i went from kindle to kobo.
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:23 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
lets be honest here: there are many complaints about kobos, especially the aura series across the internet.
Yet you qualify that by "aura series" you really just meant Aura 2? Which is a device that has attracted plenty of critique here for its specs, and appears to be being replaced by the Clara anyhow.

The Aura One, Aura H2O, H2O2, Aura HD, original Aura... all in the "aura series" and all terrific devices at the time they were introduced.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote