Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
ereaders for library books

I haven't used my Kobo Glo for some time as I've been borrowing books from my library via the Libby app on my smartphone/tablet. However, I'm aware of the strain that the backlight puts on my eyes so am considering upgrading my Glo for an ereader which will handle my library books with no converting or messing around.

Can anyone suggest a good product that will fit my needs.

I'm in the UK so Kindle is out.

TIA
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephjk View Post
I haven't used my Kobo Glo for some time as I've been borrowing books from my library via the Libby app on my smartphone/tablet. However, I'm aware of the strain that the backlight puts on my eyes so am considering upgrading my Glo for an ereader which will handle my library books with no converting or messing around.

Can anyone suggest a good product that will fit my needs.

I'm in the UK so Kindle is out.

TIA
I think the only new eReader that will directly borrow from Overdrive (using ePub) is the Kobo Aura One.

In the United States I can still directly borrow Overdrive ePubs on my Sony PRS-T2, but that may just be "the luck of the draw" at my library.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think the only new eReader that will directly borrow from Overdrive (using ePub) is the Kobo Aura One.

In the United States I can still directly borrow Overdrive ePubs on my Sony PRS-T2, but that may just be "the luck of the draw" at my library.
I can still borrow Overdrive epubs on my Sony PRS-T3 - from what I've seen in these forums, both T2's and T3's still work with the library. The PRS-T1 doesn't work - I have one and it can access the library but downloads don't work.

The other option for library books might be one of the Android e-ink readers. I am not personally familiar with any of those devices but there are ongoing discussions about several of them in the Android forum.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
The other option for library books might be one of the Android e-ink readers. I am not personally familiar with any of those devices but there are ongoing discussions about several of them in the Android forum.
That's probably true. I didn't think about the Android-based eReaders. I've never actually seen one in the "flesh."
Old 06-19-2018, 04:45 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

anything that supports ePub DRM can be used anywhere in the world. You don't need an overdrive app on your device. ADE is your friend.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
anything that supports ePub DRM can be used anywhere in the world. You don't need an overdrive app on your device. ADE is your friend.

Dale
But ADE is faff. Far easier to use an overdrive app (libby) and connect directly to my library.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
Stephjk
Cruiser

Thanks for the responses so far, I'm a bit out of touch so didn't know about the android e-ink devises. May have to put an Aura one on my Christmas list!
Old 06-19-2018, 05:06 PM   #8
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:

Quote:

Dale
The Sony readers rcentros and I were talking about can be used in conjunction with a computer that has the Sony reader software, or alternatively the readers can download Overdrive library epubs directly via the Sony's built-in browser, no Overdrive app involved.

I think (?) the OP is looking for a non-LCD reader that can access library books directly on the device. Given that the Sony readers are outdated and only used, he/she may want to look into one of the android e-ink readers. I have not used one of those devices so I don't know how they work for library books.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #9
Stephjk
Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post

I think (?) the OP is looking for a non-LCD reader that can access library books directly on the device. Given that the Sony readers are outdated and only used, he/she may want to look into one of the android e-ink readers. I have not used one of those devices so I don't know how they work for library books.
Yep, exactly. I knew about the Aura One but wondered if there were any alternatives that do the same thing. I like the convenience of browsing the library, downloading a book and reading all on one device. Currently that is my smartphone or tablet but I'd like a dedicated ereader that will do the same.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
ADE is your "friend" if you use Windows or OSX. Not so much if you use Linux. But even with Windows or OSX, ADE requires an intermediary device.