Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 07-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
calibre content server navigation

content server navigation on Chrome using Ubuntu on a laptop using arrow keys, pgup, pgdwn is sporadic. Occasionally, it freezes on a blank screen at end of chapter and I must right-click for contents so that I can go to next chapter. At the end of that chapter it freezes again. I have also noticed that sometimes when I have 3 columns showing in landscape, that the down and up arrows change the showing screen by cycling the columns. That is right arrow will cause the left column to vanish, the middle column to go to the left column place, the right column will go to center, and a new column will appear to the right. The up and down arrows will cause all three showing columns to cycle as one. The pgup and pgdwn keys sometimes work, sometimes not. Anyone else on this?
rjwse@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The left and right arrow keys scroll a single column at a time. All the other keys scroll by screenfull (all columns on the screen) at a time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, Kovid, for prompt reply. The LR arrow column feature is quite wonderful. I must say, it is delightful to be able to see 3 columns at once in landscape mode. A very novel feature! I would like to be able to "click" on a book while in calibre and call up the new content server viewer. Do you plan on adding this in the future?
Old 07-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can have three columns in the regular calibre viewer as well see the section "Text layout in paged mode" in the viewer preferences.

Indeed, at the moment I dont think there are any features of the web viewer that are not in the calibre viewer. That said, it is my long term plan to eventually unify the two viewer codebases and replace the calibre viewer with the web viewer (once it matures and reaches feature parity).
Old 07-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #5
rjwse@aol.com
Addict

The right side of content vieweris being cut off the exact amount of the vertical gray page-changing strip. The left side has the vertical gray strip plus a gutter. The right side has no gutter and a letter or two of text is cut off. I would like to include a screen shot, but the "insert image" icon wants a URL and I have no idea how to do that. I tried varying columns, fonts, etc. On another topic, yesterday OMG Ubuntu reviewed 5 ebook readers and I responded with a favorable comment about the new content viewer, including some excellent images.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You want to post a screen shot the best way to do it is as an attachment (click the manage attachments button).

Also it would be helpful to have access to an ebook file demonstrating the problem so I can try to reproduce it.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
rjwse@aol.com
Addict

3 screenshots and 1 epub attached

The cutoff to the right happens in full screen mode, but does not happen in a window of chrome when the window is less than full size. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-07-26 10-01-12.png
Views:	319
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	158097

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-07-26 10-01-44.png
Views:	301
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	158098

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-07-26 10-02-08.png
Views:	299
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	158099

Attachment 158100
It is against Mobileread rules to post copyrighted material without written permission from the author. Deleted This WAS the Author posting. Apologizes
Attached Files
File Type: epub Sandy's Story (long version) - RJW Seddon.epub (13.31 MB, 276 views)

Last edited by rjwse@aol.com; 08-01-2017 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Cancelled 'Removed Copyrighted material (my own book)
Old 07-27-2017, 12:24 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

What version of chrome is this? Ubuntu tends to have fairly outdated software. I have tested the reader on Chrom 58 and newer.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:57 PM   #9
rjwse@aol.com
Addict

Oh, I see the moderator would not allow me to upload the book. It is a book I wrote. I DID have an old version of Chrome. I uninstalled it and now have the newest "Chromium" and Firefox. Both Chromium and Firefox exhibit cutoff of right-most column when viewing 3 columns in the content viewer. It begins well at the first page, then progressively cuts off more and more. The cutoff does not occur in the old viewer when viewing 3 columns. The keyboard keys are sporadic. Sometimes R and L arrow and U and D arrow do not work at all. Pgup and Pgdn sometimes lock the screen, also. I have also tried unusual combinations of Ctrl-home, etc. I have not been successful in understanding how to delete the downloaded books in "continue reading". I will try downloading the latest version of Chrome (not Chromium)
Old 07-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwse@aol.com View Post
Oh, I see the moderator would not allow me to upload the book. It is a book I wrote. I DID have an old version of Chrome. I uninstalled it and now have the newest "Chromium" and Firefox. Both Chromium and Firefox exhibit cutoff of right-most column when viewing 3 columns in the content viewer. It begins well at the first page, then progressively cuts off more and more. The cutoff does not occur in the old viewer when viewing 3 columns. The keyboard keys are sporadic. Sometimes R and L arrow and U and D arrow do not work at all. Pgup and Pgdn sometimes lock the screen, also. I have also tried unusual combinations of Ctrl-home, etc. I have not been successful in understanding how to delete the downloaded books in "continue reading". I will try downloading the latest version of Chrome (not Chromium)
Sorry about that. It was not perfectly clear that you had the authors permission to post the work. If someone else had posted it, you would be happy we caught it.
I will edit the Mod notice. Go ahead and edit the post and reattach the work (and state that you are the Author), OR FILE A BUG REPORT AND MARK IT PRIVATE, to avoid posting in public. Your choice
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:37 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Feel free to re-upload the book and I will take a look.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:52 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Oh and there is no need to try Chrome instead of Chromium, both should work as long as they are version 58 or newer.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:03 AM   #13
rjwse@aol.com
Addict

Thank you, Kovid. And thank you, moderator. I re-uploaded EPUB file by editing prior post. I notice that the 'cut-off-to-the-right' happens progressively as you page through. That is, the first page of the chapter has no right cut off and looks good. As you go through the book the amount getting cut off gets worse and worse. It happens in 3 column but also 2 column.

Sometimes you cannot go from chapter to chapter. At the end of a chapter, when you go to the next page you get a blank page and the controls lock up. The only way out of the lockup is to invoke Contents which lets you select next chapter. The arrow keys and pgup and pgdn sometimes do not function as intended. Occasionally the 4 arrow keys all act the same way and change one-column-at-a-time. I have been trying to find a key combination "go to beginning of book", that is, 'ctrl-home' I am confused by the listing of already-downloaded books at the top. How do I delete those books? When I go to Downloads in my computer and delete them there, they still show up as an icon.

I am quite enthusiastic about this new feature of calibre and I hope these points are not bothersome and that, perhaps, this input helps you in your work. Best regards, Pop.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You want to delete a book simply right click, which will open the controls and select Delete book.

I'll look at your file when I have a moment.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I tried the attached file in Chromium on my linux system, it looks fine with three columns, even after scrolling 8% intot he book, see attached screenshot.

I also dont have any issues with the keys not working, although to be fair I only tried it for a couple of minutes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20170801_201704.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	1,004.0 KB
ID:	158205  

Tags
navigation