Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2023, 03:56 AM   #1
katinka
Enthusiast
katinka began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
Question Resetting stats stopped working?

I mostly find reading stats a bit annoying and I’m looking for a way to reset them. At some point It worked to just toggle "Automatically share data …" on and off.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=343668
In sideloaded mode I can’t seem to find that option. Also, opening the kobo config file and change the “StatsTrackingEnabled=false” on and off- did nothing.

At some point it also worked toggling the reading stats option in kobo utilities, but it doesn’t seem to work anymore, or I’m I doing something wrong?

The third option would be to modify the kobo reader.sql-file, but I have not got the faintest idea what line of code I would remove or how to do it. Perhaps if there was a script?

At some point I just got frustrated and deleted the file. Knowingly, ending up with the registration screen, having the bypass the thing once more. But the stats were at least reset.
katinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 03:50 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There's no setting to stop the device from generating reading statistics, so aside from periodically deleting the database, you'd have to explore it with an SQL editor to find which entries to delete. You could also save yourself a bunch of trouble and just... not tap on the Activity icon?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2023, 06:00 PM   #3
Alastair_S
Zealot
Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Please read the following thread and in particular my reply
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=352527

Hopefully that will solve the problem.
Alastair_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 03:41 AM   #4
katinka
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair_S View Post
Please read the following thread and in particular my reply
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=352527

Hopefully that will solve the problem.
Thanks! Sadly, it did not work. I'm might just revert back to an older firmware instead.
Old 01-01-2024, 03:45 AM   #5
katinka
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
There's no setting to stop the device from generating reading statistics, so aside from periodically deleting the database, you'd have to explore it with an SQL editor to find which entries to delete. You could also save yourself a bunch of trouble and just... not tap on the Activity icon?
That is annoying, but not as annoying not having control over my device, knowing there was something I could do. Thanks for the help. I'll look around in the database or might just end up reverting to an older firmware version.
Advert
Old 01-01-2024, 06:17 PM   #6
Alastair_S
Zealot
Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by katinka View Post
Thanks! Sadly, it did not work. I'm might just revert back to an older firmware instead.
That's a pity. Remember that the line "kobo_privacyCentre_url=https://www.kobo.com/privacy" is likely to return whenever the device syncs, so Wi-Fi and automatic syncing should be turned off before removing the line from "Kobo eReader.conf".
Alastair_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 10:54 PM   #7
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I'm kind of surprised there's no patch to disable the statistics gathering. Maybe you could submit a request for one.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 04:12 AM   #8
katinka
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I'm kind of surprised there's no patch to disable the statistics gathering. Maybe you could submit a request for one.
Yes, I think I will.

I don't presume to understand anything of how this works, but the reason for it not being a patch to disable the statistics, is perhaps because the logging of reading time, or rather 'logging of use is' intrinsic to- or/and somewhat necessary for the device to work at all?

However, sending the statistics is of course another matter. I ended up revering to an older firmware version, patching away the stuff I don't like,the activity menu included

Last edited by katinka; 01-02-2024 at 04:19 AM.