Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 05-01-2016, 07:12 AM   #1
tobiasj
surrounded by books
tobiasj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, PRS-500, PRS-505, Rocket e-book
Calibre Companion on Kindle Fire 8?

I have been using CC for a long time. I purchased it though GP and Amazon but now that I have upgraded to a Kindle Fire 8 from my older HD I can no longer install it. The 3 HD's are still listed and available to install, just not my 8. Is there a way to side-load the application on the Fire 8 or does it flat not work on it anymore? If so are there any plans to add support?

Thanks!
tobiasj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I am confused.

Amazon thinks that CC is supported on all Kindle Fire and Fire devices except the original device released in 2011 (see the attachment). In addition, I know users who are running it on the Fire HD 8, which is what I think you have. As such, I have no explanation for why it isn't offered to you by Amazon.

You distinguish between a Fire 8 and a Fire HD 8. I can't find a Fire 8 that isn't an HD. Can you provide a link to the device you bought?

As for sideloading: sure. All you need to do is get the APK onto the device then use a file manager such as ES File Explorer to "open" it. There are several free apps that will get the APK for you, including ES File Explorer. Note that the Google APK will run on an Amazon device, with very slight differences in behavior.

EDIT: It also might be possible to get the APK by choosing "Cloud Only" as the delivery device. I haven't ever tried this so I don't know exactly what it means.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	148361  

Last edited by chaley; 05-01-2016 at 08:03 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #3
tobiasj
surrounded by books
tobiasj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, PRS-500, PRS-505, Rocket e-book
No, I believe I was confused, I was trying to install it from amazon.com and not from the device. When I went to the device (which I think is a Kindle Fire HD 8 and not a Kindle Fire 8 as I stated before) it was available to install.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks!
tobiasj is offline   Reply With Quote