Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
asqueue
Enthusiast
asqueue began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4
card symbols don't display properly

How can I get special symbols to display properly in the PC Kindle reader app? Specifically, I have card suit symbols (spade, heart, diamond, club) which the calibre ebook reader displays properly and which the iPhone Kindle app displays properly but which the PC Kindle app displays as empty boxes (which are its representation of "unknown character"). These symbols appear in the .xhtml files as:

amp-pound9824; amp-pound9829; amp-pound9830 and amp-pound9827;.

(I used amp-pound here for &# because otherwise the actual symbols displayed.)

I tried changing these to ♠ ♥ ♦ and ♣ but that didn't fix the problem. That is, calibre properly converted these to ♠ ♥ ♦ ♣ and that's what I see in calibre's ebook viewer and on my iPhone, but when I copy the MOBI file to the PC's Kindle app, that reader displays the same empty boxes instead of the symbols. Curiously, when I copied one of those boxes to paste here, it displayed as ♥. But that doesn't help. I need the symbols to display properly in the PC app.)

I tried inserting the characters themselves (♠ ♥ ♦ ♣) into the XML files, but those produced unrecognizable characters in both the iPhone Kindle app and the PC Kindle app

I tried converting to AZW3 and EPUB, but the PC Kindle app doesn't recognize those formats.

I tried changing Preferences>Common options>Input character coding to each of the options (cp1252, cp1250, cp1252, cp1253, utf8, etc.), but those options produced either unrecognizable characters or question marks.

My book needs to be readable on other devices than the iPhone.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited by asqueue; 05-12-2014 at 12:54 PM.
asqueue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
A possible explanation is that the font you're using on your Kindle doesn't actually contain those special characters. If your Kindle has access to a variety of fonts, try some others.

Edit: Sorry I misread the first paragraph, I don't know what fonts Kindle for PC uses.

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-12-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: edit
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
He said that this was on K4PC
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
asqueue
Enthusiast
asqueue began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4
Here's what I have in local.css:

span.cardsuit {
font: 9pt Symbol;
}

span.cardsuitred {
font: 9pt Symbol;
color: red;
}

Shouldn't that get symbol font on any device or app?
asqueue is offline   Reply With Quote