Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Kindle 3G M2M

The Kindle 3G models are not limited to using Amazon's 3G M2M plan (M2M == Machine to Machine).

Paraphrasing from the AT&T FAQ "How do I buy a DataConnect Pass" ::
You will need :
* A device which is DataConnect Pass capable with an unactivated AT&T SIM card.
- You can buy an unactivated AT&T SIM card from Amazon for $2.35

* An AT&T-certified laptop, netbook, PC card, or tablet
- The AnyData, mini-PCIe card (DTP-600W) has AT&T "Carrier type approval".
= ref: https://att.m2m.com/devkit/# click the "see list" link in second line of footer.

* On-line access (your reading this, you must have that).

* Credit card/debit card, PIN or Refill Card

Got all of that? Now, put your new SIM card in your Kindle
The cover slide is marked, showing which direction to slide it to unlock, then the cover swings up, take out Amazon SIM, put in your SIM.

While you have your Kindle open, make a note of the IMEI number on the 3G card's cover.
The ICCID is on both the SIM you just installed and on the long label of its carrier card it came on.

Go to this site:
https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/Cust...uctInfo.action

Note 1: When picking your plan - you need to pick one that allows tethering if that is what you intend to do (use your Kindle as a 3G gateway for your non-3G devices).

Note 2: I have not (yet) done this myself, but I can not see why it shouldn't all "just work".
So any reports of success/failure from people who try this would be good to post here.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
MuzzaHukka
MuzzaHukka
MuzzaHukka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Yes, I've done this before. But what people are most interested now, like for me, for instance, is using the Kindle 3G SIM card in a PlayStation Vita. If you could figure out how to do that, that would be perfect. You could publish it and make a lot of credit, and fame. Just do it!
MuzzaHukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzaHukka View Post
Yes, I've done this before. But what people are most interested now, like for me, for instance, is using the Kindle 3G SIM card in a PlayStation Vita. If you could figure out how to do that, that would be perfect. You could publish it and make a lot of credit, and fame. Just do it!
Not here, publishing that sort of thing (mis-use of the Amazon 3G account) is against the site policy here.

Perhaps some day in the future, at one of my own web-sites....
Hmm... Will have to give that some thought before I say yes or no.

EDIT:
The above statement is mis-leading

What I meant was it may be possible to transfer the Amazon SIM to another account plan, without the owner opening the Kindle case.
The AT&T sim control center seems to have that provision.

Last edited by knc1; 02-12-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzaHukka View Post
And I'm sure you'll enjoy your "credit and fame" when you're sitting in your jail cell doing time for stealing from Amazon. 3G data transfer costs real money. Stealing 3G service from Amazon is theft. Take my advice and don't be an idiot.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And I'm sure you'll enjoy your "credit and fame" when you're sitting in your jail cell doing time for stealing from Amazon. 3G data transfer costs real money. Stealing 3G service from Amazon is theft. Take my advice and don't be an idiot.
And if your thinking that you will not get caught - sign on here:
https://simcontrolcenter.wireless.att.com/
It is very impressive, the amount of record keeping being done on __every__ SIM in the system, in real time.

At a minimum, you need to be a registered "connection developer" with att.m2m.com
That registration comes along with the "connection development kit", link in the original thread starter.

All that takes is $199 plus being able to convince a "for real person" that you have an actual product in development.

Just buy your own $2.35 SIM - its a lot cheaper than jail time!

Last edited by knc1; 02-15-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: clarifications
Advert