Notices

Old 02-23-2024, 06:52 AM   #1
swepub
Swepub
swepub began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
EPUB image error

Hi

I get below error message when I run EPUBCHECK, but I cannot find an image called 1.jpg. How do I interpret the error message and find the faulty image?

ERROR (OPF-029) at "Version 1 - EPUB-Master Print edition - Hidden Secrets in Lightroom Classic TOC and Covers.epub/OEBPS/image/1.jpg":
The file "OEBPS/image/1.jpg" does not appear to match the media type image/jpeg, as specified in the OPF file.

WARNING (PKG-022) at "Version 1 - EPUB-Master Print edition - Hidden Secrets in Lightroom Classic TOC and Covers.epub/OEBPS/image/1.jpg":
Wrong file extension for image. The image is a "png" file but has the file extension "jpg".

Thanks!

Thommy
swepub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 07:36 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by swepub View Post
Hi

I get below error message when I run EPUBCHECK, but I cannot find an image called 1.jpg. How do I interpret the error message and find the faulty image?

ERROR (OPF-029) at "Version 1 - EPUB-Master Print edition - Hidden Secrets in Lightroom Classic TOC and Covers.epub/OEBPS/image/1.jpg":
The file "OEBPS/image/1.jpg" does not appear to match the media type image/jpeg, as specified in the OPF file.

WARNING (PKG-022) at "Version 1 - EPUB-Master Print edition - Hidden Secrets in Lightroom Classic TOC and Covers.epub/OEBPS/image/1.jpg":
Wrong file extension for image. The image is a "png" file but has the file extension "jpg".

Thanks!

Thommy

I would think that someone renamed the file to .jpg when it should be a .png???

Also, as a technique, it is preferable to NOT start filenames with a number - try "img_1" or "cover" or something like that. I don't think epubcheck cares about that, but some of your editing software can be multi-platform and might cause issues with numbers first. In general, I find it easier to have filenames that are descriptive. It's a lot easier to find the correct file when editing.

And Welcome to MR!!
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 07:53 AM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
That file is listed in your OPF manifest as having an image/jpg file type but it reality that file should be renamed to 1.png and all links to it need to be updated.

If you are using an epub editor like Calibre or Sigil, this would be trivial to do. If you have to do this manually, then make a copy of the epub and rename that copy to end with .zip (as an epub is a specially constructed a zip container). Then unzip that file.

Then look inside the OEBPS folder and inside that the image folder. You should be able to see 1.jpg and should rename it to end with .png and not .jpg.

Then back in the OEBPS folder find your OPF file (ends with .opf) and open that file in a text editor to find the reference to 1.jpg and change it to 1.png and replace the image/jpeg with image/png.

Finally you must search all of the xhtml/html/htm/svg files to look for '1.jpg' and replace it with '1.png'.

Or just use Calibre or Sigil.

Edit:

And I agree that using better names that 1.jpg or 1.png is a very good idea. But mass renaming files is something best left for epub editing software.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-23-2024 at 11:31 AM. Reason: fix many typos
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:33 AM   #4
swepub
Swepub

Thanks for your quick feedback!
I use Adobe Indesign.
And the problem is that I don't have any image named 1.jpg
I have checked the OPF file and my image library and my Indesign links, nowhere to be found.
I agree with your rename suggestion. I will check if it's possible to do a mass rename of my image files (550 images :-))

Thanks for the welcome!!

Thommy
Old 02-23-2024, 08:58 AM   #5
swepub
Swepub

Hi again

I reverted back to my edits done yesterday when it worked - success!!
It works fine and gets validated as a "Valid EPUB" in EPUB Checker.
Don't know what happened today, but at least I can proceed editing now.

Thommy
Old 02-23-2024, 11:37 AM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then where is epubcheck getting its error message from? Did you try actually unzipping a copy of the epub and manually navigating to the images folder. Perhaps you have left spaces in the file name not properly % escaped and the file name is something like "image 1.jpg"?

Alternatively, the 1 could be a placeholder and the real problem file name is something else. Perhaps look for a png file masquerading as a jpeg (you can tell by the file signature bytes at the top of each file).

With so many images, is this a fixed layout epub or comic book?
Old 02-23-2024, 11:56 AM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Also, as a technique, it is preferable to NOT start filenames with a number - try "img_1" or "cover" or something like that. I don't think epubcheck cares about that, but some of your editing software can be multi-platform and might cause issues with numbers first. In general, I find it easier to have filenames that are descriptive. It's a lot easier to find the correct file when editing.
What software can not cope with file names starting with a number?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 12:58 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer

The epub spec (used to or may still) restrict id attribute values from starting with numbers/digits and since many pieces of software created unique id values in the opf out of file names, it caused problems. So naming files with a starting number was discouraged by many epub authors.

InDesign was infamous for not properly escaping spaces in opf manifest urls as required by the epub and url specs. So I am betting that is the issue here.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:34 PM   #9
swepub
Swepub

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Then where is epubcheck getting its error message from? Did you try actually unzipping a copy of the epub and manually navigating to the images folder. Perhaps you have left spaces in the file name not properly % escaped and the file name is something like "image 1.jpg"?

Alternatively, the 1 could be a placeholder and the real problem file name is something else. Perhaps look for a png file masquerading as a jpeg (you can tell by the file signature bytes at the top of each file).

With so many images, is this a fixed layout epub or comic book?
I have no idea where it got 1.jpg from.
But now it works fine and is validated correctly even though I'm at the same edit as when the error occured.
The book is a 300 page book about photo software Adobe Lightroom Classic with screenshots. And it's reflowable.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:50 PM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Glad you got it validating.