Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-10-2024, 06:40 AM   #1
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
no-indent class / KOReader

Hi, I have a no-indent class that only overrides text-indent:

.no-indent {
text-indent:0;
}

It doesn't matter if I declare it p.no-indent or .no-indent, when using <p class="no-indent">, KOReader still renders those paragraphs as indented. All other readers I've tried honour the override (haven't tried them all, but many Android and PC readers). It's the same with both KOReader v2020 and v2024, but I very much doubt it's a KOReader issue, either I'm doing something wrong or I could so something differently, so it's more compatible. What could that be? Thank you!
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:12 AM   #2
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Nevermind, I figured it out, I had some style tweaks active in KOReader So, my fault inded, but of a different nature.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:46 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I never test CSS on KOReader without testing everywhere else because there are so many overrides and settings. Really you test KOReader with a known good epub, not vice-versa.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 10:40 AM   #4
paperwhite13
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I never test CSS on KOReader without testing everywhere else because there are so many overrides and settings. Really you test KOReader with a known good epub, not vice-versa.
Thank you, I'll definitely keep that in mind. Like I mentioned, it was not the only one I'd tested the epub with, just the only one that it didn't do that one thing, and I thought I was doing something wrong. I have few overrides and there was this one I'd forgotten about, it's a lesson learned for the future. Now it looks better than with any other reader, what it the in page footnotes, very close to a pbook experience
Old 02-10-2024, 03:05 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwhite13 View Post
very close to a pbook experience
But without discoloured pages, dust, smell, mould, smudged too heavy ink, too small font to save pages, spine glue cracking and letting pages fall out, damage from slugs (yes, they eat paper & card!), woodworm, bad forrmating choices that can't be over-ridden. Oh, and inability to click/tap on a word for definition, highlight/annotate/bookmark and copy to PC. We went paperless on proofing 10 years ago due to eink based annotation. Also stopped using DTP packages over a decade ago using PDF export instead from LO Writer. The Paper version is reformatted source used for the epubs. The big publishing houses do it the other way round which is more work and more errors on the ebook. The ebook is used to proof content, and then the only concern on later PDF is layout/style/format, never content.

Really any decently formatted simple AZW3/KF8 or epub2 is better than mobi, old ebooks on Palm OS or Windows CE, and many paperbacks on even a 10+ year old 6" 167 dpi ereader, or Apps like Aldiko Basic, Lithium, Pocketbook etc on any Android from a 4.3" screen or larger. I've about 3,000 paper books and perfer the ereader for novels.
What best about Kobo or Kindle Native ereaders, expecially Kobo, is the metadata browsing. Filesystem browsing is 1960s. Proper metadata based library interfaces like on a Kobo are a minimum for 1000s ebooks.
We have about 500+ bought ebooks over 10+ years and about 6500 PD ebooks dating back over 20 years.
I'll go back to KOReader once it has metadata browsing like native Kobo on Author, Title, Collection, Series etc. I don't care about file names or directory structures, neither has any real Document management or Library management system for the User/GUI for nearly 40 years.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-10-2024 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 03:16 AM   #6
paperwhite13
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
But without discoloured pages, dust, smell, mould, smudged too heavy ink, too small font to save pages, spine glue cracking and letting pages fall out, damage from slugs (yes, they eat paper & card!), woodworm, bad forrmating choices that can't be over-ridden. Oh, and inability to click/tap on a word for definition, highlight/annotate/bookmark and copy to PC. We went paperless on proofing 10 years ago due to eink based annotation. Also stopped using DTP packages over a decade ago using PDF export instead from LO Writer. The Paper version is reformatted source used for the epubs. The big publishing houses do it the other way round which is more work and more errors on the ebook. The ebook is used to proof content, and then the only concern on later PDF is layout/style/format, never content.

Really any decently formatted simple AZW3/KF8 or epub2 is better than mobi, old ebooks on Palm OS or Windows CE, and many paperbacks on even a 10+ year old 6" 167 dpi ereader, or Apps like Aldiko Basic, Lithium, Pocketbook etc on any Android from a 4.3" screen or larger. I've about 3,000 paper books and perfer the ereader for novels.
What best about Kobo or Kindle Native ereaders, expecially Kobo, is the metadata browsing. Filesystem browsing is 1960s. Proper metadata based library interfaces like on a Kobo are a minimum for 1000s ebooks.
We have about 500+ bought ebooks over 10+ years and about 6500 PD ebooks dating back over 20 years.
I'll go back to KOReader once it has metadata browsing like native Kobo on Author, Title, Collection, Series etc. I don't care about file names or directory structures, neither has any real Document management or Library management system for the User/GUI for nearly 40 years.
Oh, I wasn’t saying pbooks are superior, I typeset pbooks for a living, but I prefer ebooks for reading. My hand still reaches out sometimes to highlight or search a word when reading a paperbook By "pbook experience" I meant a nicely typeset book, with footnotes at the bottom of the page--out of the box. My needs are probably different than yours, I browse and organize my library externally (Calibre connect can assist with that), the Kindle is just a place where the ebooks land after I've done the browsing and I've chosen what I want to read.
Old 02-11-2024, 07:33 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Complex nicely done typesetting is certainly needed for traditional style magasines, newspapers, reference works, illustrated speciality books (e.g. cooking, knitting) and text books.

However I decided nearly 15 years ago that fiction, a typical novel with no illustrations, or just a few that can be their own paragraph, needs simplicity. And then I abandoned DTP as I wasn't any longer produsing newsletters, project proposals, training manuals/ courseware, instruction/operation manuals etc. Only novels designed to be as readible as possible, so they don't degrade much on stupid apps or on ancient Kindles only doing mobi. Also then nothing to trip TTS. I've also used TTS to see what happens with old Irish words or made up words, originally on the Kindle DXG and now on Pocketbook app on Android, though oddly a an old Huawei Android phone is nicer than Android 13.