Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-26-2015, 05:10 AM   #31
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Since the advent of the larger Fire tablets, I have taken to uploading images that are 800 pixels wide. I generally use the html instruction width="100%" because I have seen people peering at their screens, trying to suss out the detail in a postage-stamp-sized photo, not knowing they could zoom it with a couple taps. It works in all the devices/apps I have tried, and it doesn't do any harm in the very old Kindles, which zoom by default. Works in the Nook, ADE, and Kobo desktop app. I don't delve any deeper than that, but I've never had a complaint.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:04 AM   #32
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I guess you never tried a portrait picture with witdth="100%" in a landscape screen...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just remember, that with today's higher resolution eInk screen (Kobo & Kindle), we do need to have higher resolution images. So don't skimp and size your images just for an old 800x600 resolution screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:13 AM   #34
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just remember, that with today's higher resolution eInk screen (Kobo & Kindle), we do need to have higher resolution images. So don't skimp and size your images just for an old 800x600 resolution screen.
Is e-ink different from tablets? My basic reader is the Fire HD (800x1280 px). I confess I've never seen my books on the Fire HDX 8.9, except in the Kindle Previewer emulation.

(Images look just fine in landscape mode with width="100%" on the tablet. They resize to fit the height. I think that's true on the e-ink screen, though I haven't checked recently.... I will.)
Old 09-27-2015, 08:17 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Is e-ink different from tablets? My basic reader is the Fire HD (800x1280 px). I confess I've never seen my books on the Fire HDX 8.9, except in the Kindle Previewer emulation.

(Images look just fine in landscape mode with width="100%" on the tablet. They resize to fit the height. I think that's true on the e-ink screen, though I haven't checked recently.... I will.)
Yes images will resize. But if they are not big enough to start with, they will look fuzzy. You have to take into account the high resolution screens of Kobo and Amazon when making your eBook. If you are making eBooks that have images that should be seen in detail or have words on them, then you do need to have a high resolution Reader to double check them. I suggest both an H2O and a PW3.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:39 AM   #36
Notjohn
mostly an observer

I'll check out the PaperWhite.

Further to the width="100%" instruction, I just checked my Kindle Keyboard 3 and I don't see any way to set it in landscape mode, so I can't check for distortion on that device. However, I don't get any on my tablet or my phone; a photograph sized at 800x1000 will fill the text area in portrait mode, but will shrink to fit the height restriction when the device is rotated 90 degrees. I don't understand why it works that way, but it does.

I still have books that were uploaded to the DTP platform (now KDP) when we were told to size images at 450x550 pixels. They still look fine on my Fire HD tablet, but I suppose I should revisit them in light of the super-sized tablets and hi-rez e-inkers. I don't worry too much about maxi-tablets; I doubt that many people read BOOKS on them. The PaperWhite is more concerning.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:28 AM   #37
Wiebenor
Wiebenor began at the beginning.

Device: PC or phone
Soo... I'm just here to clarify whether this post addresses my question or not... what I'm trying to do, is there's an online book I'm reading, that I downloaded in epub format and uploaded to Google play books, and my issue is, it's a Harry Potter fanfiction story, which has, at certain intervals, in certain chapters, colored drawings, found on deviantART, made specifically for the story in question, but what I'm wondering, is if instead of 1 cell phone page worth of link text, I could just embed the photos inline, right where the links are currently? And how would you recommend having a photo description, just edited into the photo, or would it be better or easier to just use some kind of picture description code, if there is such a thing, to display text underneath the picture?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but my only experience is with the Calibre editor, and even then, it's usually just working with already available cover art and cover art code, so I'm essentially clueless how to proceed, or at least, PROPERLY proceed...
Wiebenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 06:38 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebenor View Post
Soo... I'm just here to clarify whether this post addresses my question or not... what I'm trying to do, is there's an online book I'm reading, that I downloaded in epub format and uploaded to Google play books, and my issue is, it's a Harry Potter fanfiction story, which has, at certain intervals, in certain chapters, colored drawings, found on deviantART, made specifically for the story in question, but what I'm wondering, is if instead of 1 cell phone page worth of link text, I could just embed the photos inline, right where the links are currently? And how would you recommend having a photo description, just edited into the photo, or would it be better or easier to just use some kind of picture description code, if there is such a thing, to display text underneath the picture?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but my only experience is with the Calibre editor, and even then, it's usually just working with already available cover art and cover art code, so I'm essentially clueless how to proceed, or at least, PROPERLY proceed...
You can't upload an unauthorized fan fiction to Google Play Books. That's a violation of copyright.