Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
pakiyabhai
Zealot
pakiyabhai began at the beginning.

Device: pakiyabhai
Happy Owner

Well I am the new proud owner of PRS=600 Silver(coz that's what the waterstones had in their stores).

I have it from the past 1 week now and I am quite happy with it . Mind you I also own a broken cybook gen 3 and working Irex Digital Reader 1000 .

Dictionary
The dictionary feature is intuitive and probably according to me the biggest selling point of the reader itself. It works out of the box and for a lazy bum like me , it's perfect. As I made a fool of myself , I figured you tap on the word twice for meaning to pop at the bottom.

Yes there is glare ! Yes the contrast is less but maybe I am finally getting older(24) , I expected the glare but I am still happy with the results. The gestures are a pleasure to use but I use the buttons at bottom.

The devices don't do justice here in UK btw , coz SONY and waterstones showrooms put the device at such angles that you would see no glares and since they are locked you wouldn't know .

Overall I would rate it 4/5. Dictionary again the biggest seller. The interface is straight forward to use , though I really wish they had a feature where I could keep a record of all the words I have searched for later study use.

Any advise on using it ? Any softwares ?
pakiyabhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Congrats - I am a proud new owner too of a PRS-600 black. Never had an ebook reader before so can't compare it to anything else but I'm very happy with it. The dictionary is awesome and I've used it a lot whilst reading.

The only software I know about is Calibre which is a free download (look up in google) and you can use this to sort all your ebooks into a library, edit the ebook names, descriptions etc and also convert files into different ebook formats. This feature is very handy as I am going to convert a personal address/contact book I've made so I can view it and search through it while on the move - useful for postcards etc when on holiday.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
The only software I know about is Calibre which is a free download (look up in google)
Or, given that MobileRead is the "home" of Calibre, he may just prefer simply to visit the Calibre Forum right here .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
I agree, the dictionary is one of the best features. I just wish Sony had a way to put one on the 300.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
pakiyabhai
Zealot

@poshm, @harryt , thanx for the feedback , i did get my hands on calibre and what a breeze of relief , just drag the book any format it converts wow !

@The-eBook-Reader, I don't think they could implement the dictionary this well on 300 as the touch screen allows the user to click , with 300 you would be left with trying to select the word for quite a few minutes !

@harryt you seem you be building quite a repository of all the ebook readers with you ! when did you purchase the the reader 600 , i remember you getting opus 1-1.5 months (and you were one of the few who got them first here)
Advert
Old 10-31-2009, 04:36 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had my PRS-600 for about 2 months now. Excellent device - I like it a lot.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:17 AM   #7
CelesteGB
CelesteGB began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
I got mine about 10 days ago and love it. I'm having a blast hunting down my old "feel good" books and acquiring gadgets for my PRS-600. I feel like a Lego fanatic (my 6 year old) who has received the Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Pirate sets all at once for Christmas
CelesteGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
pakiyabhai
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteGB View Post
I got mine about 10 days ago and love it. I'm having a blast hunting down my old "feel good" books and acquiring gadgets for my PRS-600. I feel like a Lego fanatic (my 6 year old) who has received the Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Pirate sets all at once for Christmas
Talk about excitement ! U sound like a kid on steroid

Congrats btw , which color is it ?
Old 10-31-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
pakiyabhai
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've had my PRS-600 for about 2 months now. Excellent device - I like it a lot.
where did you purchase it from harryt ? I got mine from waterstones .
Old 10-31-2009, 11:13 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I also bought mine from Waterstones, in Manchester.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #11
pakiyabhai
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I also bought mine from Waterstones, in Manchester.
Oh me too ! Idiots were selling it for 249 and giving a 20 pound rebate effectively coming to 229 , as on the internet ! What's worse , they had only two pieces in store , one was open. So no leave.

Nice to know another person who also suffers from manchester weather
Old 10-31-2009, 10:40 PM   #12
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

whsmith online (UK) is selling touch for 219 and pocket for 150 which are the best deals i could find when i ordered mine

took a few days for delivery - i would have prefered pick up from store but this option is not available for these devices

excuse my typing as i'm on my ds at 2 something in the morning - bad case of insomnia!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 11:00 PM   #13
poshm
Fanatic

Also meant to add [and I hope this is helpful to anyone thinking of buying a reader] ...

... if you belong to a cashback site [get a percentage of moneyback with online retailers] and fatcheese is a very good one you will get even more money off

I managed to get a further 13 pounds off for clicking through to whsmiths from the fatcheese site so the touch effectively cost 206 pounds

Hope some other people benefit from this tip
Old 11-01-2009, 02:48 AM   #14
pakiyabhai
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
Also meant to add [and I hope this is helpful to anyone thinking of buying a reader] ...

... if you belong to a cashback site [get a percentage of moneyback with online retailers] and fatcheese is a very good one you will get even more money off

I managed to get a further 13 pounds off for clicking through to whsmiths from the fatcheese site so the touch effectively cost 206 pounds

Hope some other people benefit from this tip
Dis is indeed a very good tip bro, I wish o knew abt this a little earlier wud have saved myself a couple of pounds ! Do they credit ur bank account when you purchase or later on ?
Old 11-01-2009, 04:28 AM   #15
poshm
Fanatic

No it isn't an instant payment (I think because they have to have the sale verified etc by the merchant) so something to redeem later. I get mine paid into my paypal account but I think you can have it transferred to your bank account by BACs payment as well - you'd have to check that.

Fatcheese is one example but there are many cashback sites and may well even be ones which have better deals - I just can't be bothered to sign up to any more sites! But worth checking out.