Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #46
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
To me, Trek was always supposed to be a cerebral show (and movies). But of course, the most popular Trek movies and series seasons are those where there is a lot of action. Not surprising, therefore, that this movie is so popular. What do I know? (My action sci-fi has so far been my most popular stuff, too. I think it's a genre thing.)

I agree with Over: It had holes. Big, black holes. But it was still fun to watch, and I'd have to say, they did a nice job of throwing out an entire 40 years of history in order to start all over.

Yeah... I'm not sure what the point to the reboot was, either.

Oh, wait... I do know why.

Because Paramount has a lot of money tied up in that franchise, and anything they can do to re-re-re-re-revive it, they will do.

Oh, yeah, one more thing: For such a fancy, futuristic, sleek and sexy ship, why does Engineering look like my office building's boiler room?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #47
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
If anyone would know about proper story structure, it would be you, Steve!!

I always say, "When in doubt, reboot!" That was a perfect way to describe the movie!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 02:22 AM   #48
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
there's a difference between a director making his/her mark on something and changing virtually everything about an existing series, be the original book or movie. and while star trek is definitely the one i won't be paying to see, it's not the only one. obviously i'm close to alone in my view of this, but to me if you want to create characters with entirely different personalities and histories, and situations that are entirely different with a different focus, perhaps it would be better if instead of using an existing franchise to sell tickets, the directors would admit it's not just their view - it's an entirely different thing.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:06 AM   #49
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Oh, yeah, one more thing: For such a fancy, futuristic, sleek and sexy ship, why does Engineering look like my office building's boiler room?
I admit the part where Scotty is beamed into the seemingly endless and gerbil tunnel curving water pipes reminded me a bit of Galaxy Quest.

But then I LOVED Galaxy Quest.

As much as I love Trek, I refuse to take it too seriously. The Original Series is still there to be treasured and loved. This film for all its shortcomings and apparent blasphemy will do little to damage the original's greatness.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:05 AM   #50
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

I was just young when I saw the original star trek on Tv and liked it because of it being different. However as time goes by, the plot became boring.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #51
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I admit the part where Scotty is beamed into the seemingly endless and gerbil tunnel curving water pipes reminded me a bit of Galaxy Quest.

But then I LOVED Galaxy Quest.

As much as I love Trek, I refuse to take it too seriously. The Original Series is still there to be treasured and loved. This film for all its shortcomings and apparent blasphemy will do little to damage the original's greatness.
I LOVED Galaxy Quest, too! It didn't take it self too seriously and was extremely entertaining!

And, you are right about the Trek thing. It really shouldn't be viewed as some iconographical vision, just an entertaining way to spend some time.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #52
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
there's a difference between a director making his/her mark on something and changing virtually everything about an existing series, be the original book or movie. and while star trek is definitely the one i won't be paying to see, it's not the only one. obviously i'm close to alone in my view of this, but to me if you want to create characters with entirely different personalities and histories, and situations that are entirely different with a different focus, perhaps it would be better if instead of using an existing franchise to sell tickets, the directors would admit it's not just their view - it's an entirely different thing.
Remember, we're talking about Star Trek here. Paramount treats it like a cash cow, including throwing enough money at anyone who says they can milk it for even more. (Not that their foresight is that good... they let Shatner direct one of 'em.)

To your last point, I agree... that's exactly what drove me from writing Trek fanfic or pestering Paramount, to writing the Kestral stories.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #53
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I just saw it for the second time and have some personal trivia. It's not a spoiler. The shuttle craft that Bones and Kirk get into going up to the Enterprise is named after a friend of mine. The Script Supervisor on the film, Dawn Gilliam. I didn't notice it the first time.

I'm the Trekkie but she gets a shuttle named after her. It's just not fair.

Last edited by daffy4u; 05-21-2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typo
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #54
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I just saw it for the second time and have some personal trivia. It's not a spoiler. The shuttle craft that Bones and Kirk get into going up to the Enterprise is names after a friend of mine. The Script Supervisor on the film, Dawn Gilliam. I didn't notice it the first time.

I'm the Trekkie but she gets a shuttle named after her. It's just not fair.
That's really cool!
Old 05-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #55
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Roddenberry would be the first to tell you that he wanted to do Star Trek differently but had to change things to suit the way things were at the time. He wanted Spock and Uhura to have a relationship but Shatner would not have it because it would take attention away from himself and he was the star also mixing races was a no-no at the time. JJ doesn't have those same restrictions, for better or for worst, he has a lot more freedom with the characters. I myself always thought the two would be great together and Kirk was a jerk but got things done as long as Spock and Bones balanced his macho-beat-it-out-of-them style with thought and feeling.

Those of you who don't like the remake still have TOS to watch over and over and plenty of books using the original characters to keep you happy. I myself, like the change and welcome it. It's fantasy, sit back and enjoy it.

Last edited by pagansoul; 05-22-2009 at 09:30 AM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #56
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
Roddenberry... wanted Spock and Uhura to have a relationship...
First I've heard of that, I think... and I've heard quite a bit over the years. Any source for that?
Old 05-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #57
digitalzen
Connoisseur
digitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
First I've heard of that, I think... and I've heard quite a bit over the years. Any source for that?
I wasn't aware of that either, I thought that was a really weird part of the movie.
digitalzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #58
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalzen View Post
I wasn't aware of that either, I thought that was a really weird part of the movie.
Well, I could buy it, since the rebooted Spock was less concerned about hiding his human half, and Uhura had apparently studied close to him long enough to become a good friend.

I'm just saying, as I've been a trekkie since TOS was on NBC, and having absorbed enough Trek lore to fill a Ptolemy Class freighter complete with MK-V containers, I don't remember the Great Bird of the Galaxy ever saying he wanted to throw Spock and Uhura into a relationship.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #59
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I'm going to see it this afternoon with my daughter and sil. They have already seen it once, and are dying to see it again.

Being an original Star Trek fanatic, (sorry, I"ve never been able to get into the others) I"m not at all sure I'll like it .

However, I felt the same way about the newest James Bond character. I went in just knowing I would hate him, and came out totally in lus........uh.........love.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #60
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I could tell that whoever made this movie LOVED the original.

This movie was marvelous, and they captured the original characters to a "t". I was so nervous that it would be yet another Hollywood hack, and am not ashamed to say I was wrong.

I'm not sure why they included the Spock/Uhura relationship, to me it didn't add anything, but then again, it didn't detract either. Pagensoul, if you recall, there was one episode where Uhura and Kirk shared a kiss........unheard of in those days, but it was done.

basschick, I would seriously recommend you see the movie. The "alternate history" doesn't really change the characters....the resemblance and nuances and entire personalities are so on the mark, I thought for a while they really were the originals.......just way younger.

Great great movie.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote