Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-14-2014, 04:05 AM   #16
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean42 View Post
Just to put your post in perspective, what kind of screen sizes are you talking about. I have 9.7inch screens in mind. That should be large enough for standard books, and academic publications (typically A4 or Letter sized).
Ahh, sorry for the confusion on this point. I was mostly replying to DrPrince's post suggesting a Kindle for the job. I agree with you that the 9.7" screen is fine for most docs.
Quote:
I definitely would want to cover this use case. What difficulties have you faced with jumping to a page using a slider or page number.
Speed. I'm comparing three things: the speed with which I can flick through a real book, my experience with my own ereaders (Kindle and Kobo Glo) and my experience with my own Android tablets (ASUS TF101 and Nexus 7).
There's never going to be anything as convenient or quick as flicking through the pages of a book, but in terms of speed of navigation, Android tablets outperform ereaders by an order of magnitude. For me, there's no comparison.

To be fair, I haven't even seen the Onyx other than on YouTube vids.

This is where Internet purchases fail for me. Before I'd consider buying one of these, I'd want to try it with a textbook.

Quote:
Have you tried the 9.7" Onyx Boox. Users dont seem to be terribly upset with its pdf capabilities. However stability seems to be a problem.
They do look good on paper. But, it's too expensive a purchase to make without something a bit more concrete than mixed reviews. I know a dual or quad core Android tablet will perform well with pretty much any pdf I can throw at it. This isn't the case with eink readers yet because of the hardware spec and I simply can't afford to take such a gamble with new tech when there's something already out there far cheaper that's proven.

Quote:
I get bleary eyed soon enough when reading from LCD's so this is sort of non-negotiable. From a technical perspective a Linux system should be more efficient than an Android system. Android would need more memory. OTOH Android with its larger community would have more apps. In a way Onyx's latest Android based 9.7" Ereader, might be the best of both worlds.

What mystifies me is that if you have 256 MB of RAM and a processor with a clock speed north of 800Mhz, how is that not enough to parse, uncompress and render pdf. I get it that the display hardware is slow, but that should only add a sub second delay in rendering the page that I want rendered.

In any case thanks for your reply.
I take your point that for some people reading from an LCD or similar screen is hard on the eyes. In the case of textbooks, I rarely spend more than an hour at at time reading them, so it's not that much of a problem for me.

I still haven't seen an eink reader that compares to Android in speed of rendering, navigation and screen refresh rate. I could perhaps live with the refresh rate if the rest of the spec was higher.

I'll keep watching the new readers in the hope that someone makes something fast and reliable enough
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:18 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
I still haven't seen an eink reader that compares to Android in speed of rendering, navigation and screen refresh rate. I could perhaps live with the refresh rate if the rest of the spec was higher.
Android is the operating system - it has nothing to do with the speed of rendering, which is primarily down to the screen technology. There are numerous eInk devices which run the Android operating system.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2014, 04:30 AM   #18
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Android is the operating system - it has nothing to do with the speed of rendering, which is primarily down to the screen technology. There are numerous eInk devices which run the Android operating system.
Hmmm, ok perhaps I could have worded that better, but you took that way out of context. I meant 'compared to a reasonable spec Android tablet', which I'd mentioned more than once throughout the post. I thought it was plainly obvious I wasn't talking about the OS in isolation. The OS and software in conjunction with the hardware has everything to do with performance.

Last edited by leaston; 07-14-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:34 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmmm, ok perhaps I could have worded that better, but you took that way out of context. I meant 'compared to a reasonable spec Android tablet', which I'd mentioned more than once throughout the post. I thought it was plainly obvious I wasn't talking about the OS in isolation. The OS and software in conjunction with the hardware has everything to do with performance.
I was thinking specifically of devices like the Onyx T68, which is a reasonable spec Android tablet, but one with an eInk screen.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:47 AM   #20
leaston
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was thinking specifically of devices like the Onyx T68, which is a reasonable spec Android tablet, but one with an eInk screen.
I was thinking about standard Android tablets with an LCD or AMOLED screen. Unless they can do something with the eink technology to improve refresh rates, the rest of this debate is essentially moot for me.
Advert
Old 07-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I totally understand what you're saying. Obviously for scrolling across the page of a complex PDF, a fast screen refresh speed is essential.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:28 AM   #22
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
To me, the new 9.7" Onyx sounds like the best bet for reading large amounts of pdf material. I personally cannot read much on an LCD screen, and I never will. I'd go back to paper.

The Onyx is open Android, so you can install a variety of pdf readers which may be substantially faster than the stock reader app. The new massive Sony device is designed for this type of work, but is an outrageous price and hard to get. I wonder what CPU it has compared to the Onyx?

Ultimately I agree that reading pdfs on a 6" screen is a pain at best.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #23
sean42
sean42 began at the beginning.

Device: boyue g10
Quote:
Ahh, sorry for the confusion on this point. I was mostly replying to DrPrince's post suggesting a Kindle for the job. I agree with you that the 9.7" screen is fine for most docs.

Speed. I'm comparing three things: the speed with which I can flick through a real book, my experience with my own ereaders (Kindle and Kobo Glo) and my experience with my own Android tablets (ASUS TF101 and Nexus 7).
There's never going to be anything as convenient or quick as flicking through the pages of a book, but in terms of speed of navigation, Android tablets outperform ereaders by an order of magnitude. For me, there's no comparison.

To be fair, I haven't even seen the Onyx other than on YouTube vids.

This is where Internet purchases fail for me. Before I'd consider buying one of these, I'd want to try it with a textbook.

They do look good on paper. But, it's too expensive a purchase to make without something a bit more concrete than mixed reviews. I know a dual or quad core Android tablet will perform well with pretty much any pdf I can throw at it. This isn't the case with eink readers yet because of the hardware spec and I simply can't afford to take such a gamble with new tech when there's something already out there far cheaper that's proven.

I take your point that for some people reading from an LCD or similar screen is hard on the eyes. In the case of textbooks, I rarely spend more than an hour at at time reading them, so it's not that much of a problem for me.

I'll keep watching the new readers in the hope that someone makes something fast and reliable enough
Thanks again for your reply. I certainly agree with most of what you say, and yes indeed it would be much better if one could try out the device. Online return policies are not quite pain free.

That said the onyx boox does tempt me, I would still call it expensive. I like what I hear abut it except stories of bricking and permanent freezes on the device. What I find reassuring is that the entire software stack is open.
sean42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:01 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I bought my Onyx T68 online from onyx-boox.com and they offer a 14-day return window on all their devices. You obviously have to pay the return postage if you return it simply because you don't like it, though, but that's true of all retailers, I believe.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #25
GypsyJon
Enthusiast
GypsyJon began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Book Pro 902
I guess they do not make them anymore, but this is the reason I bought my PocketBook Pro 902 mayber 5 or so years back? It is a perfect size to read scientific journal articles on and it is eInk so the batter lasts forever and you can read it on the beach. I love that old thing and it just keeps chugging alone.

I hook it to my PC and I just drag and drop my articles ! Could not be simpler.
GypsyJon is offline   Reply With Quote