Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4
Star Trek reading - Yes I'm a nerd...I get it.

I my Star Trek. I have since I was a 5 year old when my dad and I would watch the TOS, I used to record all TNG on Beta Max and by the Voyager videos.

You can mock me if you wish but I will warn you I am 6ft 2 and my daughters call me "The Tubby Viking" ;D

Anywho...A while back (b.k.)* I looked into buying some Trek books but as they were as rare as rocking horse poo the chance of me convincing my wifey to fork out £50 (Sterling) was slim to not at all for a Voyager novel. Now however I have a Kindle and the prices skim the £5 mark YAY!

I don't want to by junk so I am looking for a few good Trek Novels. Can anyone recommend a few to start with (first up for me btw is Voyager: Homecoming)

* Before Kindle
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I used to read Trek novels back when I was in middle school and high school. This was the mid-90s, when a new book would come out once a month, and they'd rotate which show the book was based on. So one month you'd get a new TNG book but next month it might be a DS9 book.

Anyway, I haven't read a new Star Trek book in over a decade at this point but I remember how much I loved those old ones. I'd be interested in reading a new one if someone could recommend a really good one.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There used to be one shop about 30 miles from my home that used to sell Trek Novels when I was a teenager. I remember Peter Davids 'Vendetta' alot so I may purchase that 2nd as it will be long since gone in my dads loft.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
mirsk1
mirsk1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Star Trek recommendations

This is my first post and since I am a die-hard Trekkie, I just can't resist responding.

There are a lot of great Star Trek books. However, a trilogy that I highly recommend is David Mack's Destiny trilogy: Gods of Night, Mere Mortals and Lost Souls. The books are great and deal with a Star Trek world after the movies and TV series.
mirsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've only read a couple of them, but I really enjoyed the Star Trek: Corps of Engineers series. The books are a bit more techy, and offer a bit of a different viewpoint from other series. You might try a few samples and see what you think.

Edit: Also the original Engineer series was Star Trek: S.C.E which brings up a few different titles.

Last edited by carld; 01-03-2012 at 06:05 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
If you like the older series, Diane Duane's books are very good indeed and you can get some of them bundled into cost-saving omnibus editions.

Peter David was also a very good writer from what I read of his TNG Star Trek novels*. And John M. Ford's How Much for Just the Planet? is the funniest Trek novel I've ever read. His other Klingon-based book which I've not read is widely considered classic, as well.

* The ones that were packaged as "specials" like Vendetta and Imzadi and Q-Squared tend to be of higher quality and more imaginative/enjoyable storylines than the regular "numbered" series books, which were also mostly good, but not at the same level.

Last edited by ATDrake; 01-03-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Additional info for prioritizing possible purchases.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
* The ones that were packaged as "specials" like Vendetta and Imzadi and Q-Squared tend to be of higher quality and more imaginative/enjoyable storylines than the regular "numbered" series books, which were also mostly good, but not at the same level.
Another rec. on Q-Squared. That was a really fun read.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Another rec. on Q-Squared. That was a really fun read.
Another Trekker here (go figure with that user name).....and agree with the above. I am now off to Amazon to see what I can find......
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I recommend, in no special order, Imzadi, Crossover, Vendetta, Unification, Relics and All Good Things. I have many yet to read, so others may add to the list.

I enjoy the books, but some of them seem to be OCR'ed and not well proofed.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #10
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

Some excellent suggestions (hopefully), thank you.

I shall start getting them (starting with Homecoming) then the cheapest every month.

And I also egged someone into a post count YAY!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Thanks a bunch folks!

Just used my Christmas tokens to buy some Trek, and plowing through James Blish's books based on some of TOS episodes.

Loving it!
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:32 AM   #12
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

I think I still have those in the 25th Anniversary format somewhere.

Also, many apologies
Old 01-05-2012, 04:43 AM   #13
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I'm pretty biased when it comes to star trek, so I'm like...read them all! LOL.

The relaunch of DS9 is some of the BEST Trek-Lit in existence in my opinion
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
dmspen
Enthusiast
dmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
I read through all the paperback Star Trek books as soon as they started. I believe I stopped at #74 in TOS. Also read the old Alan Dean Foster books from the animated series and many of the other series paperbacks. Now that I think about it, I picked up a number of the hardback books also.

I like series books that maintain characters. I loved Star Trek as a child (and adult) and still do!
dmspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #15
earthpigborn
Enthusiast
earthpigborn began at the beginning.

Device: FBReader on Android
I'm seconding the Destiny Trilogy by David Mack recommendation. It's what got me back into reading Trek. Fair warning though it's set after Star Trek Nemesis and the finale of Deep Space 9/Voyager plus the post finale DS9 relaunch books so be prepared to either read a ton of books before the trilogy itself or at least browsing the wikipedia entries.

I'd also recommend hanging out at the http://www.trekbbs.com/ too. They have a Trek Lit section where you can interact with a few of the current Trek writers including the aforementioned David Mack.
earthpigborn is offline   Reply With Quote