Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #16546
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'm wending my way through Brideshead Revisited (Evelyn Waugh) for an umpteenth re-read. This is one book I keep rediscovering every few years or so (along with Moby Dick and The Good Soldier) - and always find something new I hadn't previously noticed before. As I've been reading quite a bit of Henry James lately, I began noticing Waugh's sentence structure this go around. He too can compose sentences that fill an entire page, or more - but his language is so lush and vivid, you don't notice - you're carried along with the flow of the prose.
[Of course, having Jeremy Irons' voice over in your head helps considerably! The 1981 miniseries was a true landmark of adapting book to screen.]

If you've never read it - you're in for a treat! I can't recommend it highly enough.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #16547
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My next read is going to be The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler for the book club. I just hope it's good.
I recently read my first Chandler - The Long Goodbye - and love his prose style. The Big Sleep is certainly on my TBR list!
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #16548
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I just finished reading The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. An outstanding play; clever, humorous and delightful!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #16549
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I just finished reading The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. An outstanding play; clever, humorous and delightful!
Good play, and funny. When we read it (one of the kids needed to read it for school) we all read it out loud each of us taking on a part or two... so different characters had different voices.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #16550
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
One of my favourite bits, from the first scene:

Algernon. [Picking up empty plate in horror.] Good heavens! Lane! Why are there no cucumber sandwiches? I ordered them specially.

Lane (Algernon's Gentleman's gentleman). [Gravely.] There were no cucumbers in the market this morning, sir. I went down twice.

Algernon. No cucumbers!

Lane. No, sir. Not even for ready money.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #16551
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I am currently reading Elixir by Brian Fagan. I think I picked it up in an earlier Kindle Big Deal. The book is about how people have managed water throughout history, from primitive irrigation canals to Roman aqueducts to modern day cities in the desert. I'm roughly a third of the way through and I'm finding the book a bit dry. I'm not sure if it is the subject matter or the writing style or just my current mood, but I find I have to force myself to keep reading. I'm thinking of moving on to another book.

Which book? Possibly The Brendan Voyage by Tim Severin. The description sounds intriguing: the author attempts to recreate the legendary voyage of St. Brendan from Ireland to what we now call North America, using a replica oxhide leather boat. St. Brendan was said to have made this journey in the sixth century.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #16552
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
[Of course, having Jeremy Irons' voice over in your head helps considerably! The 1981 miniseries was a true landmark of adapting book to screen.]
Yes, it certainly was. I remember it well ...
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #16553
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Good play, and funny. When we read it (one of the kids needed to read it for school) we all read it out loud each of us taking on a part or two... so different characters had different voices.

BOb
I absolutely love that play! It is now my favorite thing to listen to while doing any chores that I don't want to do and the time just flies by as I laugh and smile my way through it. (I picked up a freebie by the L.A. Theatre Works and the voices are in my head when I read the book)

A beginning favorite part:
Spoiler:
Algernon I really don’t see anything romantic in proposing. It is very romantic to be in love. But there is nothing romantic about a definite proposal. Why, one may be accepted. One usually is, I believe. Then the excitement is all over. The very essence of romance is uncertainty. If ever I get married, I’ll certainly try to forget the fact.

Jack I have no doubt about that, dear Algy. The Divorce Court was specially invented for people whose memories are so curiously constituted

Then, of course, all the fun with loving and the name "Ernest" that is done with such absurd convention.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #16554
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
For now I am going to read the May book club selection The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler, the first of the Philip Marlowe mysteries.
That was a good read, will wait till the 20th for any discussion though.

Not sure where to go from here, maybe Honor Harrington 4...
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:02 AM   #16555
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Carolyn Keene (Mildred A Wirt) & Benedict Jacka

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Die Trying was a very exciting read and The Quest of the Missing Map was a nostalgic one. Both were quite enjoyable.

Now on to The Clue in the Jewel Box (Nancy Drew #20) by Carolyn Keene (Mildred A Wirt) and another new author for me, Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle #1)!
The Clue in the Jewel Box was another Nancy Drew Mystery and, as usual, a fun read for me.

The Name of the Wind was a totally unexpected and quite pleasant surprise! Because of my recent negative reaction to George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones when I'd tried reading it and a preconceived notion I had (totally unwarranted), for whatever reason, about Patrick Rothfuss (I kinda' thought of him as a younger version of GRRM) I was expecting to not care for it. I was dead wrong!! Anyway, it was a very enjoyable read and I'm looking forward to the other two books in The Kingkiller Chronicle trilogy.

Next, Taken, (Alex Verus #3) by Benedict Jacka and The Secret in the Old Attic, Nancy Drew #21) by Carolyn Keene (Mildred A Wirt).

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:41 AM   #16556
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Next up: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.
I looooved this book. It's full of non-stop action. The situation sometimes changes every page. Highly recommended to Harry Potter and Dresden Files fans.
Next up: Professor Gargoyle by Charles Gillman
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #16557
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I really liked it too
It reminded me of The Game of Love and Chance by Marivaux.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #16558
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I looooved this book. It's full of non-stop action. The situation sometimes changes every page. Highly recommended to Harry Potter and Dresden Files fans.
Next up: Professor Gargoyle by Charles Gillman
I got this for my daughter but after reading the description I'm definitely going to read it as well. Sounds like it's my kind of series .
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #16559
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Just finished _Starbound_ which is book two of Joe Haldeman's Marsbound trilogy.

Book two wasn't as good as the first... It was slower than the first as well, with no too much happening until about 1/2 way in. I also didn't like the way the moderator of the book switched back and forth with no warning or context. The who first book was written in 1st person voice of the main character, which this one switched back and forth between two of them, and also some from the other characters.

However, the book did move the story forward and I bought and started reading the final book (at least, the final one published) _Earthbound_... which I think is a bit of play on words. Marsbound was about their journey to Mars. Startbound was about their journey to the stars. Earthbound is set all on Earth (I think anyway, I've only read the first few chapters).

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #16560
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Just finished _Starbound_ which is book two of Joe Haldeman's Marsbound trilogy.

I also didn't like the way the moderator of the book switched back and forth with no warning or context.
I found this confusing as well, when I read it back in February.

I'll be interested to hear if you think Earthbound is worth buying.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote