Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 01-02-2017, 04:31 PM   #16
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
I used the term "hacking" there loosely and playfully. Basically I don't want to do the extra work with Calibre in order to workaround that problem.
You don't want to do the work - consisting of two button clicks - noted.

Quote:
You seem to underestimate other's understanding of how Calibre works. But there is no harm in repeating the non-obvious to most users in this forum sometimes. As for the original issue itself, of course, that is not a calibre bug as I stated in the second sentence of my original message. However, that is indeed a bug (or missing feature if you want to put it more lightly) of Marvin, or similar type of software.
I only based that sentence on your statements indicating a lack of understanding of how Calibre/content servers/Marvin actually sent info back and forth - no insult or disrespect intended - I was hoping to provide a little more enlightenment to you, and anyone else who had this question in the future.

This "missing feature" of Marvin's is one that I wouldn't want Kris to waste another seconds thought on (this particular discussion was already asked and answered during beta testing). I'd much rather him work on items central to Marvin rather than compensating for those mis-using under-using Calibre. But, lucky for you, I'm not Kris and he might decide differently!

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:00 PM   #17
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
This "missing feature" of Marvin's is one that I wouldn't want Kris to waste another seconds thought on (this particular discussion was already asked and answered during beta testing). ...
Clearly, we disagree on this issue. Could you provide the post numbers where that particular discussion was asked and answered?
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #18
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Clearly, we disagree on this issue. Could you provide the post numbers where that particular discussion was asked and answered?
It was during beta testing - before it was released...the beta testers worked with Kris directly, not via the forums. I could probably find the email chain if you made it worth my while... $$ $$

Kris prefers bug reports to be emailed to him (see sticky) so he can work with the individual directly. Feature requests are cool to put on the forums. Unfortunately, some on these forums don't really know the difference between bug reports and feature requests. If you really think it is a bug, then I recommend emailing him - you might not get an immediate response, but he is usually pretty good about getting back to you.

Cheers!
Old 01-09-2017, 10:09 PM   #19
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
In other words, standard Beta-testing is non-existent, providing meaningful feedback via GitHub has stalled, and Marvin development has, once again, slowed down to a crawl. Marvin is not dead yet, but half-dead indeed. It's always been a half-finished product to my mind, and perhaps it's its destiny to remain half-finished forever. The hallmark of its being unfinished is the non-existent syncing of annotations, a crucial missing feature, of course. I've been looking at Hyphen (that does offer annotations syncing) and MapleRead, but haven't made the switch so far; it's really difficult to switch to a different e-reader after many years. Even in its half-finished state, though, Marvin is better than Stanza ever was.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #20
Doc Nightshade
Doc Nightshade began at the beginning.

Device: iOS, Sony Prs T3
Well, I don't understand how either of them work in their bones; I just want to read books. What I think we can agree on, though, is that the way Marvin handles subjects and tags, pulling all of that information out of the internal guts of the book automatically, creating a ginormous list of subjects and tags most of which have only one or two books associated with them, or are totally weird, and you have to go in and edit each one of them out individually for each book you import, is not particularly helpful if you want to use the subjects and tags feature in Marvin for organising your books. It doesn't seem that it's a bug with either program-- it's a way of presenting existing data which I think is done well in Calibre (information is there and accessible if you want it) and not well in Marvin (information is there and tabulated by default).
Doc Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #21
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Again, all of the info (tags) from Calibre can be saved into the guts of the book with two mouse clicks. Then both locations have them!

Although, personally, Marvin is a reading app and is not a library management app. Would it be cool if Marvin did everything that Calibre did?? Maybe. But the number of people who really care about that is frighteningly small compared to those who just want a good reading app. Kris needs to prioritize his work based on the ease of the work, amount of users affected, and his vision of where his app should go. Kris does excellent work.

Even though some people want their features/bug fixes 'yesterday' they need to realize that Kris is not a multi-billion dollar corporation with hundreds of coders. He puts as much time and effort into his projects as he is able. I don't get all wrapped up in a few minor bugs that really don't detract from Marvin. And, yes, there are a few bugs I wish were fixed...but there is nothing else even close out there. Sooo, how about positive support and positive criticism??

Tags
calibre, marvin, shelves, sorting, tags