Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-16-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
NOOK-stalgia

I recently bought a refurbished NOOK Glowlight (the whitey-lightey model) via Amazon. (The irony, having to go to Amazon for a NOOK!) Now they seem to be sold out; for me, the closing of an era.

It's my second. I'm going to put all my youth series fiction on one and everything else on the other. (The memory on this device is limited, its Achilles' heel. But splitting the collection also makes shelving easier.)

I also have two of the original unlighted Simple Touch models, still going strong. If the battery gods are kind, I hope to keep reading on these for the rest of my days.

I've spent a lot of time over the past five years collecting epubs, polishing them with calibre and Sigil, and discovering authors I never would have found in a public library.

I've become very fond of the Simple Touch form, and very familiar with its function. The software could definitely be better, but I know its ins and outs now, and I'm not inclined to start climbing a new learning curve with a new device. And those cold metal tablets they're selling in B&N now just aren't the same.

So long live my NOOKs! When you know what you like, why move on?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I still have a soft spot for the Nook, even though I don't have one now. My first dedicated reader was the classic Nook and I loved it. I always had stellar customer service from B&N and it was nice having a device linked to a physical store. I gave several Nooks of various generations as gifts and they were always enjoyed and I think the current Glowlight Plus is underrated.

I understand the frustration with liberating B&N content and I wish they hadn't gone that route. But I do tend to think that people harsh on Nooks unduly.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:14 PM   #3
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
I've become very fond of the Simple Touch form, and very familiar with its function. The software could definitely be better, but I know its ins and outs now, and I'm not inclined to start climbing a new learning curve with a new device. And those cold metal tablets they're selling in B&N now just aren't the same.

So long live my NOOKs! When you know what you like, why move on?
I still have my Simple Touch that I bought back in 2011. It still works, but I retired it when I bought my iPad Mini. I thought the Nook ST hardware was very nice, but the many software quirks were driving me crazy!

I thoroughly enjoy running Marvin3 on the iPad Mini and will probably let the Nook continue to gather dust!
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I loved my Simple Touch with Glowlight. When I broke it, I tried to buy another off eBay, but they seem to have become collectable and the one that I did buy had the dreaded screen tearing.

I think B&N stumbled badly with the Nook Glowlight. They'd been playing games with their bookstore that burned hardcore readers (introducing a new DRM scheme in an underhanded way) then came out with a nice device that limited the amount of space for sideloading, while removing the SD card slot. I think it was all just too much for the Nook brand.

The current Glowlight Plus is a nice, underrated piece of hardware. I would have bought one, but I found a deal on a Kobo Aura that was too good to pass up.

I'd like to see B&N revive the Nook brand. It seems like it wouldn't be too difficult if they would just invest money and talent.

Hell, they could maybe introduce an Icarus Illumina or Inkbook Obsidian as their next Nook. They have sd card slots and page turn buttons and aren't generally known in the States.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-20-2016 at 01:08 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #5
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Zod:

The lack of card slot on the Glowlight is certainly limiting, but the shelving software is just as bad. I have 2GB cards in my Simple Touch units, and long before the cards are anywhere close to full, creating new shelves by scrolling through 2,000 books becomes far too much trouble. Easier (for me) to buy a second Glowlight and split my library in half.

So any new NOOK would need a card slot, yes, but also a major software upgrade, and I don't think B&N has that in them.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Zod:

The lack of card slot on the Glowlight is certainly limiting, but the shelving software is just as bad. I have 2GB cards in my Simple Touch units, and long before the cards are anywhere close to full, creating new shelves by scrolling through 2,000 books becomes far too much trouble. Easier (for me) to buy a second Glowlight and split my library in half.

So any new NOOK would need a card slot, yes, but also a major software upgrade, and I don't think B&N has that in them.
Yeah, to be clear, I don't mind the current Glowlight Plus without an SD card. I'd *like* more space, but 2-3 gigs is plenty, really.

What I was trying to point out was their fail on the Nook Glowlight where they didn't have an SD card and they limited space for sideloading to 512MB. That was just a terrible decision on their part.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, to be clear, I don't mind the current Glowlight Plus without an SD card. I'd *like* more space, but 2-3 gigs is plenty, really.

What I was trying to point out was their fail on the Nook Glowlight where they didn't have an SD card and they limited space for sideloading to 512MB. That was just a terrible decision on their part.
It shows how little B&N understood their customers. I imagine they thought that no one used the SD card. The side-loading capacity of the Glowlight is actually DOUBLE that of the Simple Touch (if an SD card is not used). B&N probably thought that was an upgrade!
Old 12-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
It shows how little B&N understood their customers. I imagine they thought that no one used the SD card. The side-loading capacity of the Glowlight is actually DOUBLE that of the Simple Touch (if an SD card is not used). B&N probably thought that was an upgrade!
I think they thought it was a way to ensure their customers bought content exclusively from B&N.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #9
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I think they thought it was a way to ensure their customers bought content exclusively from B&N.
No doubt. How'd that work out for them?

They forget who the customer is in this relationship.
I am under no obligation to serve as their revenue stream.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:20 AM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
No doubt. How'd that work out for them?

They forget who the customer is in this relationship.
I am under no obligation to serve as their revenue stream.
I wasn't agreeing with it. Just pointing it out. As I mentioned, it was a massive misstep that damaged the Nook brand.

I wanna say somewhere around that same time is when they made unannounced changes to their DRM scheme.

It feels like a one-two punch that Nook hasn't recovered from.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #11
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
This is exactly how I feel. My first NookColor introduced me to the world of ereading, and although I now use various apps on my IPad, I still remember fondly how much reading enjoyment I got from the Nook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I still have a soft spot for the Nook, even though I don't have one now. My first dedicated reader was the classic Nook and I loved it. I always had stellar customer service from B&N and it was nice having a device linked to a physical store. I gave several Nooks of various generations as gifts and they were always enjoyed and I think the current Glowlight Plus is underrated.

I understand the frustration with liberating B&N content and I wish they hadn't gone that route. But I do tend to think that people harsh on Nooks unduly.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #12
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: √NC, √NST, Sero Pro
I still use my rooted Nook ST pretty much every day! It is the best ebook reader I've own, and I will use it until it or me can't no more.

I have a buch of books in my cell phone and have read a few (specially in total darkness), but nothing beats the the Nook ST.

So I can't suffer from Nook-stalgia if I am fortunate to still have a usable NST!!
Chikwako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:27 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikwako View Post
nothing beats the the Nook ST
I have to disagree. Many Readers beat the nook ST.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:11 PM   #14
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikwako View Post
I still use my rooted Nook ST pretty much every day! It is the best ebook reader I've own, and I will use it until it or me can't no more.
Me too. I bought two and the first one is still going.

The Nook ST is the best!
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:11 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Me too. I bought two and the first one is still going.

The Nook ST is the best!
The Nook ST *with Glowlight* is the best. The seem to have become collector's items. Try buying one on eBay. They regularly go for $90. Buttons, SD card and a lighted screen is a good combo.

I wish B&N would just take the Nook ST body and slap the Glowlight Plus screen in it. I'd buy one for sure.