Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

View Poll Results: Should Kobo Discounts thread title include 'pertinent discussion'?
Yes 45 68.18%
No 13 19.70%
The blue one, next to the fish 8 12.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Re-titling of KoboBooks.com Discount Codes thread

Re-titling of KoboBooks.com Discount Codes thread

I'd like to propose a re-titling of the Kobobooks.com Discount Codes thread to instead be 'Kobobooks.com Discount Codes and pertinent discussion'.

My reasoning is that buying ebooks from the Kobo website can be a somewhat daunting and tricky business (or adventure!), and members not infrequently ask for help when using the codes.

Examples of said trickiness include:

two different websites/checkouts, old and new, depending on your country of origin
Cart appears on some countries sites and not others
PayPal is acceptable on some countries sites and not others
Gift Vouchers available for some countries and not others
entering discount codes differs according to your country and whether you are on the old or new website
format of the ebook is a bit of a mystery unless you take particular steps to clarify the format you're buying
kepub - a Kobo specific format that differs in treatment from the usual epub
the (usually) monthly Contest only applies to some countries, and now the codes only work in those same countries
the Japanese Rakutan site now differs in lots of ways from the rest of the Kobo sites
assistance with the ability to travel
assistance with searching and trying to find books (not as easy as it should be by far!)

Any more?

Anyway, I consider that these are sufficient reasons to justify 'pertinent discussion' be included as part of the thread title.

What do you reckon?

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 09-06-2014 at 11:29 PM. Reason: added 'members not infrequently ask for help when using the codes.'
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I voted "Yes." The "discussion" part has been helpful to me in figuring out different aspects of different contests, as well as simplifying my search for code-eligible books.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And I could also add these reasons for having not quite relevant chatter:
just being neighbourly
welcoming new members
the odd joke, cartoon and bit of humour

So, yep those of us who tend to 'hang out' in the thread and contribute also like to have some 'fun' every now and again or briefly chew the fat.

Usually we confine this sort of neighbourly stuff to in-between Contest times, and when there's otherwise very little happening.

If someone wants to know what non-Contest discount codes are operative then they just have to go to the first post on the first page of the thread.

It seems to me a win win for those who regularly post in the thread.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 09-06-2014 at 11:11 PM. Reason: coloured bit
Old 09-06-2014, 11:54 PM   #4
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I've learned a lot from the "off topic" chatter. And as others have said, it's usually limited to on-between contest times.

Plus it's not that hard to just scroll through the new posts if one is only looking for codes.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:10 AM   #5
BuyMore
Lurker extraordinaire
BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPad Mini 4
I've never thought there's anything wrong with the discussions loosely related to the discount coupons or the contests. So, I vote "yes" because I like the discussions, especially the neighborly stuff.
BuyMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2014, 03:20 AM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Another way of looking at adding 'pertinent discussions' to the thread name is that it acknowledges and legitimises the questions raised and answers provided on queries such as those listed in the original post.

(two different websites/checkouts, old and new, depending on your country of origin
Cart appears on some countries sites and not others
PayPal is acceptable on some countries sites and not others
Gift Vouchers available for some countries and not others
entering discount codes differs according to your country and whether you are on the old or new website
format of the ebook is a bit of a mystery unless you take particular steps to clarify the format you're buying
kepub - a Kobo specific format that differs in treatment from the usual epub
the (usually) monthly Contest only applies to some countries, and now the codes only work in those same countries
the Japanese Rakutan site now differs in lots of ways from the rest of the Kobo sites
assistance with the ability to travel
assistance with searching and trying to find books (not as easy as it should be by far!))
Old 09-07-2014, 03:27 AM   #7
kobbie
kobbie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kobbie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kobbie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kobbie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kobbie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kobbie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kobbie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kobbie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kobbie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kobbie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kobbie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Glo
I voted yes because I have learned a great deal from the discussions in this thread. And I enjoy the atmosphere of 'having a yarn over the fence with the neighbours' when there is no contest on (which I think quickly changes to a very strong focus on 'lets get the best out of the contest' when the contests are on).
kobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:21 AM   #8
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
A big yes from me. I can't see the harm if we have a bit of fun in between acquiring contest codes, as well as learning how best to use the codes.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:23 AM   #9
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I think the change would be a great idea, that way everybody would know that the thread is more than just codes, and wouldn’t be offended with the other discussions and sometimes off topic discussions. I don’t mind the off topic, I think it is inevitable.
Besides as Lynx-lynx said shopping at kobo with coupons is tricky so It’s good to have this discussions so the newbies learn how to navigate the complex world of kobo books, not to mention all the other things we learn without having to search, just because someone asked something that I didn’t know and wouldn’t think to ask but I find that now that I know I should have think of that before, I learned a lot with some off the discussions, and would like lo continue to do so.
I think the change would be a great idea, that way everibody would know that
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:42 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've just noticed that this poll failed to follow one of the grand traditions of MobileRead polls. I've fixed that.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-08-2014 at 05:16 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:51 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I would go with this:

Kobo Codes + Discussion

The logic is that there is discussion about the codes and about the deals. Anything outside that window would not be allowed (which, as a moderator, I try to monitor anyway).
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #12
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
I hope allowing the freedom to share relevant information will continue.
I am surprised by the amount of useful information I have gathered from this thread.
I shouldn't be surprised because you guys are awesome.

I voted yes.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #13
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I voted "No" not because I don't think we should have the discussion about the nuances of using the kobo store, but because I think we should have it in a different thread not related to coupon codes.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #14
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by winsomnia View Post
I hope allowing the freedom to share relevant information will continue.
I am surprised by the amount of useful information I have gathered from this thread.
I shouldn't be surprised because you guys are awesome.

I voted yes.
I totally voted yes. There's good info in the thread and it's my favorite thread. I learned a lot about how things work and don't mind answering questions when someone new can't figure out where to put the coupon code (for example). Kobo is currently running a contest to win an H2O and normally I'd have put it in the thread, but with the complaints, I just didn't bother. But as a reader and someone who wants to win one...well, I certainly want to know related deals and contests!!!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Woot! I was Yes vote #21. I guess this thread can drink now (at least in the US)...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote