Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
norm42
norm42 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Kobo Vox randomly waking from standby?

I like to keep my Vox in standby rather than wait for the boot process. Not sure that is the right term, but it is the mode when I press the power button for a very short time. In this mode, the screen is off, low power draw, so another activation of the power button brings the Vox up w/o a boot to the unlock screen. I can keep the Vox like this over night w/o much battery drain.

My issue is that while it is in this mode, it randomly turns the screen on showing the unlock screen, only for a few seconds, then the screen goes blank again. This is not too bad as the screen does not stay on long. However, sometimes it stays on permanently - this unfortunately then drains the battery.

Anyone also experiencing this random turning on the screen from this mode and keeping the screen on?

Any way to keep the Vox from turning the screen on in this mode and powering up?

Norm
norm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
There are at least a couple of threads here on this problem though it can be confusing as some people have trouble waking it up out of sleep and others are seeing the Vox wake itself up, or both issue...
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
russilwvong
russilwvong began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
There's two problems:

1. The device crashes (becomes unresponsive, won't turn itself off) when waking from sleep.

A few people reported this problem prior to the 20111117 update. Since the update, a lot more people are seeing this problem (including me).

Fortunately, there's a workaround: set the "WiFi sleep mode" to "never."

Probably a very high priority for the Kobo Vox development team!

2. Why is the device waking up from sleep every few minutes in the first place? Apparently this is caused by one of the pre-installed applications, doing some kind of periodic check.

I'm guessing this is probably not such a high priority.
russilwvong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

I had suspected inq, rdio, globe2whatever since they often got started automatically but I rooted and renamed them so they won't run and yet mine still sometimes tries to wake up so obviously it isn't them.

Other guesses could be update checks for either the vox itself or your apps as I know that getjars and slideme apps periodically tell me they have updates available. Can we kill the update apps? Worth a try I guess.

Wifi always on works for me but I've still had it refuse to wake completely after airplane mode was on so unfortunately my hope that wifi never sleeps + airplane is perfect were dashed. Will try wifi never sleeps and just using full off when I want it away for long periods without the wifi killing the battery now...
Old 11-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
I had suspected inq, rdio, globe2whatever since they often got started automatically but I rooted and renamed them so they won't run and yet mine still sometimes tries to wake up so obviously it isn't them.

Other guesses could be update checks for either the vox itself or your apps as I know that getjars and slideme apps periodically tell me they have updates available. Can we kill the update apps? Worth a try I guess.
Exactly the same question. Deleted all the built-in apps that jefftheworld had flagged as safe to delete. The only two services I see running which are suspect are the two update related ones. Going from memory I think they are called Kobo Update Check and System Update. Also, possibly Email though since I have it set to manual check, I wouldn't think that's the culprit. I can't imagine killing those two update services would cause a problem...you would just have to launch an update check manually, no?
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

hpulley: renaming is not really a good idea - see here on how to do it properly (if you can't freeze them with Titanium Backup)
I myself went all out because the freezes were basically instant and always. The wifi policy didn't help much. I disabled everything that is not normally in an Android system + System Update and Status Bar (which depends on KoboOSProvider). I have to read with Aldiko, and I can't see the time, but I read during my cigarette breaks (not for a long time, but turn it on often). It seems to work better now.

Killing processes doesn't often help by the way - some services, like System Update, are programmed to restart themselves. pm disable is the best way to make sure they don't, while still keeping your warranty (they can find out if you uninstalled system apps, even if you reinstalled them afterwards - and hélas after comparing photos today of the backlight bleeding I noticed that I will have to do the exchange at Futureshop).
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
I dunno, I have a suspicion my Vox was turning itself on last night while I was at work. Wifi was off and I manually put it into sleep mode. It had over 50% left of battery but within two hours (my break) it was dead. =/ Of course I can't confirm as it wasn't on me, but in my backpack in the staff room. But it was frustrating..

ETA: all the suspected culprits are uninstalled on my vox.

Last edited by Jesslynne; 11-29-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
hpulley
Addict

The Kobo Vox warranty is hardware only. Where does it say rooting or renaming system files voids your hardware only warranty? Who at futureshop is going to ls /system to look for renamed files? Will a factory reset not put /system back to its initial state?
Old 11-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Quote:
Where does it say rooting or renaming system files voids your hardware only warranty?
Modification. The common interpretation is that rooting includes modification.

Quote:
Who at futureshop is going to ls /system to look for renamed files?
Sometimes they do. That's why they take your address when you return the thing. 'To prevent fraud.'

Quote:
Will a factory reset not put /system back to its initial state?
No, not at all (otherwise you'd have to make the OTA update each time you reset the thing). There is another kind of reset that sometimes pops up if you're getting into states far off documented ways, which will reapply a system image that is in the recovery partition. It's a pretty tight spot and took me 20 minutes this morning to get there. If I recall correctly, the sequence was something like power - power 2 seconds - power - volume down, but I'm not even sure it's the sequence or if it really just powered up and down there and started panicking.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
hpulley
Addict

If I brick the thing because I mess up the software, ok that is my fault, but if the failure in hardware is denied due to rooting I will fight it all the way.