Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
Mikesbook
Enthusiast
Mikesbook began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
How do you store read ebooks

I was wondering what methods people here use to keep ebooks that they have read but may wish to read again at a later date, especially drm'd ebooks, so that they do not clutter up the reader. It would have been nice if EBL had a "Read" folder that did not sync'.
Any ideas please?
Mikesbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesbook View Post
It would have been nice if EBL had a "Read" folder that did not sync'.
Any ideas please?
You could always create a collection called "Read" and set it not to sync.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
I use Calibre and have a tag called "Unread" which is what is synched.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
on an extern hdd ->folder "books" --> subfolder "finished"
thats where i store them
and drm is a no no for me!
with all media!

keep reading
harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I do not store DRMed books.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I put a tag on them in calibre ("Bookshelf").
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I un-DRM them, put them into Calibre and use tags to manage them.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i use calibre to manage my books. once i read them, i give them a rating. any book with 0 stars is unread, a book with stars is read. in theory this should help me keep track of which books i liked as well but in practice i have trouble deciding how many stars to give and usually give 4 unless i really loved it, then i give 5.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
kilikini
Enthusiast
kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3, KFire, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i use calibre to manage my books. once i read them, i give them a rating. any book with 0 stars is unread, a book with stars is read. in theory this should help me keep track of which books i liked as well but in practice i have trouble deciding how many stars to give and usually give 4 unless i really loved it, then i give 5.
That's exactly the same method that I use! And your rating system is remarkably similar too.
kilikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
When I buy books, I put them automatically on the Reader. Then every once in a while I will just delete them from the reader so that only unread books are on it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #11
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
I make back-up CD's of all my books, so when I'm done & delete them from my reader, I still have a permanent record for future use or sharing.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #12
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I hit delete.
And turn off auto sync in the sony library =)
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #13
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
When I buy books, I put them automatically on the Reader. Then every once in a while I will just delete them from the reader so that only unread books are on it.
I do the same, the only books on my reader are unread. Once read they are deleted.
I keep a backup of all my books on removable media.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #14
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I delete them from the Reader - unless I need to refer to them, such as for a discussion - in that case I delete them later, rather than immediately.

I mainly use calibre to manage books for the Sony Reader. I can't really use it for the DR1000, and I don't need it to get books on Stanza on the Touch. My main ebook library is just folders on my HD (and backed up somewhere else) - I de-DRM everything as soon as I have bought and downloaded it, so I can do whatever I need with the files.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #15
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
this might sound like a really stupid question but how do you put them on a disk for storage? I don't have any problems moving around the free books I get but the ones I buy from the sony store go to the ebl and and I am not really sure how to move them anywhere else ........and if I do move them to a cd and later want to read them again they will only work on that sony reader is that correct????
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote