Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
Wally S
Wally S began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Red face embedded fonts

My first conversion worked fine except for one thing. The PDF has two custom embedded fonts that did not get converted. One font is in Devanagari, the script used for Hindi and Sanskrit. The other font is a Roman font for transliterating the special sounds in Hindi and Sanskrit. This font can be used for English also. The instructions for embedded fonts in the help manual are confusing. Most of the books I want to convert have these fonts. I am not sure of the names of the fonts as there are several Devanagari fonts and several transliteration fonts. I sure would appreciate some help. Thanks.
Wally S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
If you have Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader, go to File - Properties - Fonts and jot them down. Heheee... Then have fun tracking them down. Sometimes it can be very frustrating. Maybe you could substitute them for something that looks similar.

If you're thinking about extracting them from the PDF... I only know of one method, using FontForge (on Linux). Use an Ubuntu LiveCD and VirtualBox to run it without installing. Extracting them from a PDF usually means you get a subset of the characters using that font.

Last edited by DSpider; 01-18-2012 at 01:53 AM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
Wally S

Thanks, Jon.
It does seem a bit troublesome, though. I'm using an iPad, and I just saw on another thread that embedded fonts don't work on an iPad anyway. But iPad does display the PDF files nicely, so maybe I'll have to stick with that for a while. The Calibre software is nice, but I'll just have to wait till ePub becomes as convenient as PDF.
Thanks.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please don't generalize about the iPad. What the iPad can and cannot do depends on what app(s) you are using. If you are talking about iBooks, then say so. Don't just think iBooks is the iPad. It's not. iBooks is just an app. It's not the iPad and never will be.

That said, iBooks can indeed handle embedded fonts. But you have to do something non-standard to the ePub to get iBooks to turn on embedded fonts.

Take the attached file and put it inside the META-INF directory inside the ePub and your embedded fonts will work with iBooks.
Attached Files
File Type: xml com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml (157 Bytes, 465 views)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
Wally S

Thanks, JS.

I tried Jon's advice and opened the PDF in Adobe and looked under "files" to see the encoding, and it said "windows," so I tried entering that, but it still did not work. I looked at the ePub file on my PC with the Library Reader, and the fonts did not come through. Is "windows" actually the name of an encoding? I have the entire fonts in my PC. I pretty much know my way around computers, but not in this area.

Thanks for the file. I'll give it a try. And you are right. There is certainly much more to the iPad than iBooks. Thanks again.

Wally
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Wally S

META-INF

But where is the META-INF folder? Sorry to be stupid, but I cannot find it, or the epub folder, anywhere. I looked in the ePub folders and all through the Calibre program folders.

And I looked at the ePub file in the Calibre viewer. The fonts are not embedded. So where do I go from here? I appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Wally
Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The META-INF folder is in the ePub. The ePub is in a ZIP container.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
Wally S

Where

Thanks. But where is the ZIP container and what is it called? Once I unzip the container and add the file, what do I do with it?

Sorry to take so much of your time. I really appreciate your help.

Wally
Old 01-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #9
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
He meant that the ePub file is actually a zip archive (ie. container). You can open it with WinRAR, 7-zip, etc. and add that file to the what's-his-face folder, as long as:

"The first file in the ZIP Container MUST be a file by the ASCII name of ‘mimetype’ which holds the MIME type for the ZIP Container (i.e., “application/epub+zip” as a 20 character ASCII string; no padding, CR/LF, white-space or case change). The file MUST NOT be compressed nor encrypted and there MUST NOT be an extra field in its ZIP header. "

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EPUB

...meaning don't extract the entire archive and re-zip it back the way it was if you don't know how to add something uncompressed.

This is only for iBooks. Other readers probably just ignore that file, am I right?

Last edited by DSpider; 01-18-2012 at 02:18 AM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:56 AM   #10
Wally S

Got'cha!

I didn't know that the e-pub was actually an archive. The article was helpful.

Thanks.

Wally
Old 01-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
Wally S

Halfway there

Well, that was easy enough. Thanks for the help. But now I have to figure out why the fonts are not being embedded. I checked the epubs with the Sony Library Reader and the Calibre reader, and the fonts are not there.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There is various information about font embedding on the site. In general there are three steps:
1. add fonts to ePUB
2. Reference to the fonts in the stylesheet
3. use the stylesheet
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #13
Wally S

Thanks, Toxaris.

But where do I find out just how to do it? I'm new to working with epub.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #14
Wally S

I used to manage a website. I used Front Page but I also wrote html routines, and I wrote css. I closed the website five years ago and I haven't written css since. I could get into it again, of course, but I know nothing about css for e-pub. Nor do I know how to format a css style sheet or how to attach it.

So I am starting from scratch. I would be happy to find a good tutorial. I thought it would be easy to create an e-pub using Calibre, and it is unless you need to embed files.

I will have to research this, and I will take my time because it is not an urgent matter. I thought I could do the whole thing just by downloading some software.

If someone can direct me toward a good tutorial or the equivalent, it would be much appreciated. I would enjoy learning it.

Thanks.

Wally
Old 01-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #15
Wally S

I was looking through the various files archived in the epub, and I found out that the book is a series of html files, so I looked at one. I noticed that there is no annotation where the fonts would change <font face...>. So I assume that wherever the font would change I would have to manually put in the <font...>.

If that is the case, it would not be worth the trouble. An embedded font would be worthwhile if the whole book were in that font, such as Hindi or Bengali, but not where the fonts alternate.

If this is the case, I will be satisfied with the PDF version. iBook is good with PDF.

My thanks to the people who wrote in, and I apologize for taking your time for nothing.

Wally