Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-07-2019, 03:51 AM   #226
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's very good news - Dick Francis is one of my favourite authors. Fortunately all his books are available as ebooks in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:40 PM   #227
kyrilson
Addict
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
The mystery writer Dick Francis switched US publishers mid-career. Those e-books published by Penguin have been available in the US for years, but not those published by Harper and Row, his first publishers. I note that six of the first publisher's books are now available in the US for pre-order as e-books, being released on May 2nd:

High Stakes

Knockdown

Smokescreen

Rat Race

Dead Cert

Enquiry

All of these are offered at the price of $2.99 each, a bargain.

Hopefully the remaining books will be made available as e-books soon.

Jim
Thanks!! I pre-ordered all of them. I love these books.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #228
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Simon Hawke -

Simon Hawke is an author who was active back in the 80's and 90's, best known for his Timewars series and Wizard of 4th Street series. I would describe him as a standard mid tier writer who is interesting enough, but never really broke through. Most of his books are fairly short compared to what we are use to these days. I think most of them are in the 200 page range. IMPO, like a lot of mid tier sf writers, he tended to ride a series until it stopped selling. I don't think he's written anything since the late 90's. His name came up in a discussion in the Butcher thread. Looking in the Kindle store, I see that all his Wizard of 4th Street books seem to be there, and I see the Timewar books as well. I found that the early books in both series were worth reading. He's the sort of author that I thought might find a new audience via the Kindle store. I wonder how many books he's sold since he put them out there. As I mentioned in the Butcher thread, his Wizard of 4th Street series has similarities to the Dresden series and Rivers of London series.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #229
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I still have the Timewar Series in paper. Now I have to decide if I am interested in rereading them electronically.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #230
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Pro 10.5"; iPhone 7; Kobo H2O2; Kindle PW-4
I sent a note to the UK publishers who'd recently made some of the early Dick Francis books available to us as ebooks encouraging them to fill in all the blanks we have here in the US. Got this very cordial reply:

"Thank you for your most kind email, which for a small independent publisher like us is a tonic for the soul. As you may have guessed we too are Dick Francis fans and readers, and I'm pleased to say that we will be reissuing more of his novels in the US as ebooks in the not-too-distant future. In short we will publish as many as his Estate and contractual circumstance allows, and I do hope your enthusiasm will be shared by a wider American reading public.

"I wish you much enjoyment in reading them - I believe the next titles are For Kicks, Nerve, Risk, Trial Run and Whip Hand, all to be reissued in July 2019. Do let me know if you'd like any further detail."

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #231
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The following Dick Francis novels are available for pre-ordering from Amazon.com, being released July 1:

Risk
Bonecrack
Whip Hand
For Kicks
Trial Run
Nerve

Jim
Old 07-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #232
Strether
Guru

The following Dick Francis novels are available for pre-ordering, being released on September 2:

Blood Sport
Forfeit
In the Frame
Slay Ride
Flying Finish
Odds Against

By my reckoning, with this release, all of Francis's books will be available as ebooks in the US.

Jim