Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-06-2019, 12:12 AM   #16
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Anyone here pre-order other Kobos from Chapters Indigo CA shipped to US? This is CA $199 + $22 which is apparently just US $167.
Many people have done this for previous models and had good success in terms of arrival of the Kobo.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:11 AM   #17
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I see it as £149 on the UK Kobo website, pre-order from Sept 10th. It looks like it's only available in an 8Gb version and no mention of an expansion slot. I've been eying the 32Gb Forma, but the larger form factor makes it iffy for me (tendonitis in the wrists).

However, the bloke is getting a Dixons credit to replace his iPad (the SIM connection is borked) so I may end up with that instead (my mini 2 is coming out of support soon). I operate on Wifi + iPhone so a working SIM isn't necessary for me.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I understand that. I wasn't trying to be mean, I was just trying to keep Barty from beating himself up over originally saying the Libra used a Mobius screen.
no worries - I had a source, but they turned out to be wrong

such is life
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Many people have done this for previous models and had good success in terms of arrival of the Kobo.
Thanks! I think I'll go this route then.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #20
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
https://youtu.be/-smMNyUhJak

Good E readers review..
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #21
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I like the Kobo Libra H20 , it's so cute especially in white. I'll be waiting for reviews as well.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:28 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
no worries - I had a source, but they turned out to be wrong

such is life
I'm trying to figure out why you didn't get a Libra to review when (apparently) GoodEReader did. Is it because your Kobo reviews are a bit more critical?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:30 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I like the Kobo Libra H20 , it's so cute especially in white. I'll be waiting for reviews as well.
Now they need five and six inch versions.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
If they release a 6" version of the Forma/Libra, I'd likely buy one. I do want a 6" Kobo that is both waterproof and has the amber front light.

But I'd be happier with a design like the 6" Clara or a return to the original 6" Aura that was also waterproof. Or if Kobo wanted to go crazy, they could rip off the design of the Voyage or Nook ST.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:56 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If they release a 6" version of the Forma/Libra, I'd likely buy one. I do want a 6" Kobo that is both waterproof and has the amber front light.

But I'd be happier with a design like the 6" Clara or a return to the original 6" Aura that was also waterproof. Or if Kobo wanted to go crazy, they could rip off the design of the Voyage or Nook ST.
I've got a feeling the Libra/Forma style reader (with buttons) will be reserved for the higher-priced models. But I wouldn't be surprised if the next Clara is waterproof. I don't know if the Aura 2 is going to go away or if they're going to keep it to compete with Basic Kindle. Kobo still advertises it for $120 (and now, like Walmart, they're advertising the Clara for $120, that must be its new price). But Walmart sells the "special edition" Aura 2 for $50 — and they don't say anything about a sale. So, it's like Kobo doesn't quite know what to do with the Aura 2 (there's no way it should be priced the same as the Clara).
Old 09-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #26
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out why you didn't get a Libra to review when (apparently) GoodEReader did. Is it because your Kobo reviews are a bit more critical?
They forgot to put me on the list this time - seriously, I didn't even get the press release email the morning of the launch.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
The Libra H2O is the six-inch version - or at least I feel it's the same size as my 6" ereaders even though it does have a 7" screen. (The review unit arrived this afternoon.)
Old 09-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've got a feeling the Libra/Forma style reader (with buttons) will be reserved for the higher-priced models.
I agree.

Quote:
But I wouldn't be surprised if the next Clara is waterproof.
I hope so. I'd like a compact, 6" Kobo that is waterproof and has amber lights. Buttons are nice, but I can live without them.

Quote:
I don't know if the Aura 2 is going to go away or if they're going to keep it to compete with Basic Kindle. Kobo still advertises it for $120 (and now, like Walmart, they're advertising the Clara for $120, that must be its new price). But Walmart sells the "special edition" Aura 2 for $50 — and they don't say anything about a sale. So, it's like Kobo doesn't quite know what to do with the Aura 2 (there's no way it should be priced the same as the Clara).
I think keeping a competitor to the basic Kindle is a good idea. But can they make a profit selling them at $50?
Old 09-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I think keeping a competitor to the basic Kindle is a good idea. But can they make a profit selling them at $50?
I don't get this at all. I keep thinking Kobo is trying to clear them out, but they're still offering them for $120 at their site, the same price they're now getting for the Clara? Meanwhile Walmart is selling them for $50 and (even in Boise, Idaho) I can go pick one up today if I want it (which is tempting for a new, front-lit eReader that has easy access to Overdrive).
Old 09-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I don't get this at all. I keep thinking Kobo is trying to clear them out, but they're still offering them for $120 at their site, the same price they're now getting for the Clara? Meanwhile Walmart is selling them for $50 and (even in Boise, Idaho) I can go pick one up today if I want it (which is tempting for a new, front-lit eReader that has easy access to Overdrive).
Yeah, the same price as the Clara is stupid. I hate to say it, but $50 is too cheap. I mean, grab one while the getting is good. But that $50 price has to be them clearing out some stock.