Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you delete a copy of the Koran?
Yes 67 54.92%
No 55 45.08%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2010, 11:09 PM   #61
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I am far too busy buying copy after copy of Dan Brown's books and deleting every one of them. And I will keep buying and deleting his books till he learns his lesson and quits writing them!

... OMG... what have i done?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #62
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I bought a copy of the Koran years ago just so that I could have it as reference material. I've since gotten an ebook version for the same reason. I've got copies of the Bible for the same reason.

The only books I've ever deliberately thrown away were a few of my more esoteric college course books that I knew I would never open again. Throwing away a book is anathema to me; I am being overrun by them in my home, but I won't throw them out, give them away, or sell them.

I'm still mildly PO'd over all my kids' books my mom threw out over the years, when she went through her annual decluttering events.

To me, deliberately destroying a book is the work of a historical (and hysterical) barbarian. You can't destroy an idea by destroying a book; you only make yourself look small and afraid, IMO.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 01:33 AM   #63
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
You should probably delete it if you pirated it.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:45 AM   #64
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
One day all of us will have to read it...
So, don't burn/delete your copy if you have one.
LOL
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:27 AM   #65
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
How to dispose of religious texts has been a matter of concern to believers down the ages.
According to
http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/13/cook.php
at least one Islamic scholar favoured the burning of worn out Korans.

"A small treatise on the subject by Güzelhisari, a Turkish scholar of the late 17th century, sums up the methods already discussed by earlier Muslim jurists: burning the material, burying it, washing off the writing, setting the texts aside in a clean place where impure hands would not touch them (as in the cases of the collections from Damascus and Sanaa), or some combination of these procedures. Güzelhisari himself favors burning. But it becomes clear from his account of the various choices that none was felt to be entirely satisfactory. Burning, as one scholar cited by Güzelhisari argues, implies disrespect..."

Last edited by Sparrow; 09-15-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 02:50 AM   #66
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I thought the whole idea of burning a book was to offend someone who holds that book dear. Why would we need to destroy our own stuff just to piss someone off?

The only reason I would delete the Koran would be the same as any other book, if it was taking up space I needed or was a poor copy.

So if you feel the need to offend someone you will have to do the deleting in a public place, preferably with TV cameras watching so you know you can piss off as many people as possible.

More better you get yourself a paper copy and burn it properly. Just make sure there are lots of people watching, and you give the event plenty of notice and publicity. You don't want to miss out on a potential offendee not seeing it!

Seriously! Some people are extreme dickheads!
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 AM   #67
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I am far too busy buying copy after copy of Dan Brown's books and deleting every one of them. And I will keep buying and deleting his books till he learns his lesson and quits writing them!

Now that is a good use of time, and an action worth supporting
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:40 AM   #68
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post

I must admit I hadn't thought about this before, but I guess, before you can burn a book, you need to buy it...
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:01 AM   #69
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post

I must admit I hadn't thought about this before, but I guess, before you can burn a book, you need to buy it...
And what's more, it's not made available in the second-hand market. Hmmm... I wonder if I could make a business printing unpopular books for burning purposes...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:09 AM   #70
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I imagine the phrase 'I've Kindled my Koran' could lead to some unfortunate misunderstandings before too long.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:09 AM   #71
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And what's more, it's not made available in the second-hand market. Hmmm... I wonder if I could make a business printing unpopular books for burning purposes...
... or buying unsold books and changing their cover so that they would look like the Koran in front of the cameras.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:14 AM   #72
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
... or buying unsold books and changing their cover so that they would look like the Koran in front of the cameras.
So if I only pretend to burn a copy of the Koran, will the Iranian clerics only pretend to issue a fatwa calling for my murder?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:44 AM   #73
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
I agree with TGS ... its just another ebook and there is no real symbolism in the deletion.

As for book burning, that is a protected form of free speech in the United States, just as building a mosque in the shadow of the destroyed World Trade Center is a protected form of freedom of religion. The only thing that makes either of these actions volatile is the volatile responses of those who refuse others the rights they themselves claim.

Lastly, I find both of the above actions reprehensible if their purpose is to cause offense because they reflect a lack of charity that is inherent in the religious beliefs that were essential to the founding of our nation.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #74
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
I would delete a copy of the Koran, if I had more than one version and one of these versions would be of sub-par quality and with bad formatting, thus keeping only the best formatted copy.

Also, I must admit that in the past I have already burned the Koran... to a CD.
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #75
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
LOL
Well done
You got it
astra is offline   Reply With Quote