Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ignore Headers & Footers in PDF when scanning in ABBYY

I currently have a PDF document which I am scanning using ABBYY. Unfortunately this document has headers and footers which I would prefer not to include in my final document.

Is there any way I can force ABBYY to ignore these without having to remove them manually from each page?

Many thanks,
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
I currently have a PDF document which I am scanning using ABBYY. Unfortunately this document has headers and footers which I would prefer not to include in my final document.

Is there any way I can force ABBYY to ignore these without having to remove them manually from each page?

Many thanks,
If the pages are very close to identical layouts, you can zone one page, go under "Image --> Save Blocks" to save the zoning setup, and then use "Image --> Load Blocks" to set that on every page (or all except the chapter divider pages, or whatever.)

Another option is to crop the PDF first, to remove the headers & footers. You can do this with Acrobat Pro, if you have it; there may be free or cheap software that crops PDFs to your choice of settings instead of just removing white space, which won't help. If you load the cropped pages in to ABBY, the headers & footers will be gone.

When those aren't pratical, for whatever reasons, I just work at being fast with manual zoning. And it's a pain.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Thanks, I'll have a look at the Zone option
Old 08-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
If the pages are very close to identical layouts, you can zone one page, go under "Image --> Save Blocks" to save the zoning setup, and then use "Image --> Load Blocks" to set that on every page (or all except the chapter divider pages, or whatever.)
Looks like this has worked perfectly. Thank you - this has saved me so much time and effot
Old 08-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Looks like this has worked perfectly. Thank you - this has saved me so much time and effot
Just remember to zone a little bigger than you need, because it's really annoying to have it crop half-letters off of the one page that's 20 pixels wider than the rest. When I used saved blocks, I make them as large as possible that doesn't run into content I don't want included.

Glad this helped!
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 01:55 AM   #6
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Just remember to zone a little bigger than you need, because it's really annoying to have it crop half-letters off of the one page that's 20 pixels wider than the rest. When I used saved blocks, I make them as large as possible that doesn't run into content I don't want included.

Glad this helped!
I have learned that I had a page which was slightly wider then the rest. Readjusted the saved block.

Again, thank you