Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
pookielocks
pookielocks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Earth Friendly Product?

In what ways have you found Kindle 2 to be earth-friendly? I'm trying to convert my life into a more eco-friendly direction. I'm very interested in purchasing the kindle 2, but would like the opinions of owners on which ways this saves the environment.

*Saves on paper, because we aren't buying paper books anymore.
*Saves space, avoids clutter in the household.

What else have you noticed? Thanks!
pookielocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Magazines are my biggest nuisance/clutter. Some of the ones I read are offered, and I subscribe. I wish there were more.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
FYI: I moved this thread up to the main Kindle forum. Didn't seem to have to do with content.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 03-06-2009 at 03:13 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
FYI: I moved this thread up to the main Kindle forum. Didn't see to have to do with content.

BOb
*whew* I thought I was losing it! "BACK AWAY FROM THE FORUMS"
Old 03-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The packaging is also all from recycled paper products.

On the other hand, Kindle uses electricity, while your physical books don't.

Although, energy and gasoline and such are used to transport physical books.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
krisk
Wizard

^ and make them.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kindle's electricity use is miniscule compared to other electronic devices, thanks to the e-ink screen. Also, being able to use it wirelessly means you don't have to power up a PC to sync it to.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
I have an original Kindle that I can charge with solar power... or, will when my new tip arrives. Bought a Solio solar charger at auction and use it to charge the cell phone. Discovered today there is a tip for charging the original Kindle.... so, soon I will be charging from the sun. This tickles me.

Anyone interested, Solio Classic has the Kindle 1 tip available.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
In the past I bought the NY Times M-Sat and my home paper LA Times usually 7 days a week. Now I subcribe to the NYT daily and the buy the Sunday LA Times from time to time on my Kindle. For me, that cuts down on the amount of paper produced and the energy to recycle. I was also impressed with the recycled packaging. It's time the technology industry moved away from the excessive amount of plastics in their shipped goods.
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Well, if you would ordinarily drive to a bookstore, but instead use Whispernet to buy books, you're saving on fossil fuels (most likely, unless you drive an all-electric or bio-diesel vehicle).
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleDude View Post
Well, if you would ordinarily drive to a bookstore, but instead use Whispernet to buy books, you're saving on fossil fuels (most likely, unless you drive an all-electric or bio-diesel vehicle).
Also, think of the fuel and emissions involved in shipping books all over the country and returning and pulping the unsold copies. I don't understand why POD isn't more popular.

There has been a good deal of speculation on the ecological break even point of the Kindle. I've never seen a definitive answer on how long you much you have to read on it to break even. A lot of it depends on your habits before. I used to ride my bike to the public library for some of my books. If that had been the way I got most of my books, then I doubt I would have ever broken even with the Kindle. It probably accounted for less than 20% of my books, though. The rest were mostly bought new at a book store I drove to.

The Kindle is recyclable but I'm not sure if its RoHS compliant.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Also, think of the fuel and emissions involved in shipping books all over the country and returning and pulping the unsold copies.
Good point! Those savings might even be more significant.
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #13
jeremy81
Enthusiast
jeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire & Kindle 3
Just a few things I've personally thought of. First, it saves paper. Especially by reading newspapers and magazines which are an incredible waste of paper considering many are released daily. Second, it reduces fuel usage to ship paper, books, magazines, and newspapers. Finally, it reduces the use of traditional inks which are often toxic and made from plant and animal products.
jeremy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:13 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's some excellent information on the environmental benefits of e-books on the Read an E-Book site, here.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #15
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I found that the Kindle 2's power brick is very efficient compared to other device's. Someone cared to use a better power brick at Amazon.

The Kindle 2 case uses less plastic and more metal than the original device.

It doesn't have that environmentally complex synthetic rubber pad on the back making it more earth friendly.

Changing the device to not have a user replaceable battery means users won't change out the very environmentally unfriendly battery casually and ensures proper recycling of the battery when it is changed.

Removal of the expansion card reduced the use of plastic and metals including less use of rare metals such as gold. Plus many causal users never needed expansion so this expenditure of precious metals and plastic was a waste.

Reduction in size and weight of packaging materials saves on packaging materials and carbon foot print in transportation to the consumer. The Kindle 2 is about 1 pound lighter to ship.

Not including a bundled cover means less waste since a cover is very personal and not a "one size fits everyone" kind of item. Many of these covers were discarded.

They cleverly used the e-ink display to display the unpacking instructions so the screen protector used during shipping doesn't have ink on it, making it environmentally cleaner to recycle the plastic sheet.

Instead of using a proprietary power connector/brick the Kindle 2 uses a standard connector for charging allowing travelers to carry common components to be shared with several devices (Verizon Blackberry Storm uses same charger.) And possibly leave the brick behind and charge from computing device (Sony Vaio P).

But I have to say that the Kindle 2, like all ebook readers, carries one large environmental negative: reduction in use of paper.

Paper is actually a good thing for our carbon footprint. Much carbon is sequestered in each sheet of paper and the use of less paper means more carbon must be sequestered by other means. Books are an excellent carbon sequestration device since their value to the owner generally means the owner will safely store them thus keeping the carbon sequestered for long periods of time.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote