Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2024, 07:06 PM   #1
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Send to Kindle : could not get delivered

First time it ever happened to me.

I sent and ePub by email via Calibre, like I always do.

Then, I got an email from Support Amazon Kindle telling me there was a problem with a document I sent and that it could not get delivered.

So, I tried to send the ePub via the web site Send to Kindle.

Same result.

All right... I will convert the ePub myself to KFX. Transfered it to my Kindle via USB-C. Opened the ebook and... it works just fine.

So, I wonder: what was the problem in the first place?
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:14 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
What does epubcheck say about it?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2024, 07:26 PM   #3
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
What does epubcheck say about it?
See next post.

Last edited by deleted2; 03-13-2024 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:53 PM   #4
deleted2
Member Retired

OK, I installed Java and an epub checker. Came out with 7 errors. But that doesn't say much to me.

ERROR (RSC-005) at "name of the book.epub/OPS/9782226492364.opf" (line 22, col 47):
Error while parsing file: @refines missing target id: "t1"

ERROR (RSC-005) at "name of the book.epub/OPS/9782226492364.opf" (line 22, col 47):
Error while parsing file: Property "title-type" must refine a "title" property.

ERROR (RSC-005) at "name of the book.epub/OPS/9782226492364.opf" (line 23, col 48):
Error while parsing file: @refines missing target id: "t1"

ERROR (RSC-005) at "name of the book.epub/OPS/9782226492364.opf" (line 24, col 47):
Error while parsing file: @refines missing target id: "t2"

ERROR (RSC-005) at "name of the book.epub/OPS/9782226492364.opf" (line 24, col 47):
Error while parsing file: Property "title-type" must refine a "title" property.

ERROR (RSC-005) at "name of the book.epub/OPS/9782226492364.opf" (line 25, col 48):
Error while parsing file: @refines missing target id: "t2"

ERROR (NCX-001) at "name of the book.epub/OPS/toc.ncx":
NCX identifier ("9782226492364") does not match OPF identifier ("2404866").
Old 03-13-2024, 09:40 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
This might take an EPUB expert and requesting a moderator to move this thread to the EPUB forum, but to start, please post the contents of 9782226492364.opf in a spoiler or at least lines 22, 23, 24, and 25. (and inspect characters 47 and 48 in those lines.

(EPUB files are actually zip files, so you can get 9782226492364.opf by unzipping the epub. If you are using crippled tools and/or a crippled OS, you might have to rename it as 9782226492364.zip first.)

Also have a look at toc.ncx
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2024, 11:22 AM   #6
botsaris
botsaris began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
When an epub fails to be delivered, I simply load it in calibre and convert it again in epub. After that delivery always succeeds
botsaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 01:45 PM   #7
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by botsaris View Post
When an epub fails to be delivered, I simply load it in calibre and convert it again in epub. After that delivery always succeeds
Ah. Interesting. I'll try it.

EDIT: It worked! Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by deleted2; 03-14-2024 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:07 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's better to actually fix the errors then to convert. I learned how to edit eBooks because of diving into the code.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 02:59 PM   #9
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's better to actually fix the errors then to convert. I learned how to edit eBooks because of diving into the code.
Probably. If I had the time.

I submitted the converted ePub to EPUB-Checker. Wow. The numbers of errors exploded. But it's working fine on my Kindle after I sent it via email from Calibre.
Old 03-14-2024, 04:59 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Probably. If I had the time.

I submitted the converted ePub to EPUB-Checker. Wow. The numbers of errors exploded. But it's working fine on my Kindle after I sent it via email from Calibre.
The way that Kovid's code handles ePub-ePub conversions is not going to make epubcheck happy but most the errors are warnings. Amazon seems to accept warnings as not being enough to block conversion.

My personal preference is to edit the original ePub to correct the errors but for quick and dirty I don't want to learn how to edit jobs, a calibre conversion works most of the time.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 04:41 PM   #11
sayornis
sayornis began at the beginning.

Device: PW4 Paperwhite, waterproof G000 PP12
A lot of the time, epubs I upload get rejected because they are epub v3 and the send to kindle feature only accepts epub v2 or lower. Calibre usually converts to epub v2 which is why conversion is an easy fix.
sayornis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 05:02 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Interesting. I've sent a couple of dozen ePub3 ebooks without any issues. When I look at the majority of books I've downloaded from Amazon, they were created from an ePub3 master.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 06:04 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Epub 3 encompasses at least three quite different kinds of ebooks:
1) Ebooks that could be epub2, but have a bit fancier formatting.
2) Interactive multimedia.
3) Flxed layout, basically like a PDF.

This is a huge simplification. #1 can even include epub converted from mobi, azw3/kf8 or epub2. Most of #1 will be accepted by Amazon.

Type #2 is better as an iOS and Android app to have easy distribution.

Amazon will accept actual pdfs on Send to Kindle. On KDP they are for paper. Amazon sells fixed layout stuff in different formats, but I've no idea what you upload to KDP.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 07:52 PM   #14
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayornis View Post
A lot of the time, epubs I upload get rejected because they are epub v3 and the send to kindle feature only accepts epub v2 or lower. Calibre usually converts to epub v2 which is why conversion is an easy fix.

Maybe a silly noob question, but how can we know it's an ePub 3?

edit : I mean, there's no simple way like a different name, icon, or getting info (command I on Mac).

Last edited by deleted2; 03-15-2024 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:01 PM   #15
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Open the OPF file and see if it says:

Code:
version="3.0"
in the header, rather than 2.0. A V3 book should also have an XHTML file for the TOC, whereas V2 uses only an NCX file for the TOC. Many V3 books still contain toc.ncx for backwards compatibility, though.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote