Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #1321
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
A nice, long read. I read it when it first came out, in 1996 (?). I even have a First U.S.A. Edition.

In mass paperback (at one time), they had to split it into more than one volume, it was so thick.

The trade paper is very nice to hold and read, but the easiest is, of course, the ebook.
1991, actually. I remember reading it while I was in high school and lugging the hardback around with me all the time.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:13 PM   #1322
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
A longer time than I realized! Thanks for the correction.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2020, 12:41 PM   #1323
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I started reading Imajica when it was first released as a (single) mass market paperback. Ultimately, I never got into it. I liked the idea of Quiditty and all. But in the end, I think I wanted more horror than fantasy.

I don't remember how far I got, but I remember being introduced to a character called Hoi Polloi.

I've read a couple of Clive's longer books: The Damnation Game, Weaveworld, The Great and Secret Show, Everville and Sacrament. I just never got into Imajica. Should I try again?

Incidentally, I think Clive is best with short stories and novellas. If someone asked for a Clive rec I'd say The Books of Blood, Cabal and The Hellbound Heart are his best. My favorite of his longer novels was The Great and Secret Show (though I didn't like Everville as much).

Last edited by ZodWallop; 08-15-2020 at 12:45 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #1324
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They Came with the Rain by Christopher Coleman is $0.99 at Amazon US.

I'm not sure what's going on with this guy. I have a book by him called They Came with the Snow and he wrote several sequels to it. Now here's They Came with the Rain. I believe he's hard at work on The Came with the Slush. (I was going to say They Came with the Mist, but that actually sounds like a cool title.)

I do also have non weather related books by him. He's on my list of authors that I'm going to read soon.

Quote:
From the author of They Came with the Snow, comes a new creepy horror thriller that will keep you turning the pages and wondering who may be lurking outside your door.

It hadn't rained in months in the isolated quiet town of Garmella, Arizona where cell phones are forbidden. And rain wasn't in the forecast.
They Came with the Snow is also $0.99:

Quote:
The fight for survival started with a blast.

Then it started snowing in May and the grid failed.

Then they came.

Who are they? And what do they want?

Find out in this short fast-paced post-apocalyptic survival horror thriller that will leave you wanting more.

When a mysterious blast goes off in a small college town, triggering a blizzard, college professor Dominic and the few remaining survivors must decide whether to stay or leave and face the monsters who came with the snow.
Oh no! He does have a book to be released soon called They Came wit the Storm! Sheesh!
Old 08-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #1325
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've read a couple of Clive's longer books: The Damnation Game, Weaveworld, The Great and Secret Show, Everville and Sacrament. I just never got into Imajica. Should I try again?
I've been contemplating re-reading it, since it's been so many years. The only thing I remember about it is that I enjoyed it, but I was a teenager then so I don't know. My library has it on Overdrive so I guess I won't lose anything but a bit of reading time if I give it a shot. Need to work through my current holds first though.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #1326
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I started reading Imajica when it was first released as a (single) mass market paperback. Ultimately, I never got into it. I liked the idea of Quiditty and all. But in the end, I think I wanted more horror than fantasy.

I don't remember how far I got, but I remember being introduced to a character called Hoi Polloi.

Incidentally, I think Clive is best with short stories and novellas. If someone asked for a Clive rec I'd say The Books of Blood, Cabal and The Hellbound Heart are his best. My favorite of his longer novels was The Great and Secret Show (though I didn't like Everville as much).
I, too, think he is best served in short-story form.

The Damnation Game (his first novel), won a literary award and is totally different from his later writings, in my opinion.

I loved The Great and Secret Show and Weaveworld, but I never did read Everville.

I think you should give Imajica one more try, just to see if it fits in with your current interests. If you can't get into it, then - as you mention - it probably contains too much fantasy for your current tastes.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:25 AM   #1327
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
The Twisted Ones by T. Kingfisher (aka Ursula Vernon) is $1.99 on Amazon.com

Quote:
When a young woman clears out her deceased grandmother’s home in rural North Carolina, she finds long-hidden secrets about a strange colony of beings in the woods in this chilling novel that reads like The Blair Witch Project meets The Andy Griffith Show.

When Mouse’s dad asks her to clean out her dead grandmother's house, she says yes. After all, how bad could it be?

Answer: pretty bad. Grandma was a hoarder, and her house is stuffed with useless rubbish. That would be horrific enough, but there’s more—Mouse stumbles across her step-grandfather’s journal, which at first seems to be filled with nonsensical rants…until Mouse encounters some of the terrifying things he described for herself.

Alone in the woods with her dog, Mouse finds herself face to face with a series of impossible terrors—because sometimes the things that go bump in the night are real, and they’re looking for you. And if she doesn’t face them head on, she might not survive to tell the tale.
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #1328
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
The Twisted Ones by T. Kingfisher (aka Ursula Vernon) is $1.99 on Amazon.com
The book sounds interesting and I picked it up. But:
Quote:
...chilling novel that reads like The Blair Witch Project meets The Andy Griffith Show.
Whoever wrote that needs to be fired. What a god awful comparison.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:54 PM   #1329
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

^ Sounds like that person shot himself in the foot...if you know what I mean.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:32 PM   #1330
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^ Sounds like that person shot himself in the foot...if you know what I mean.
I'll just be waiting for Barney to show up. "Well gee, Ange..."
Old 08-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #1331
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Glimpses: The Best Short Stories of Rick Hautala is $0.99 at Amazon US.

I've read a couple of Rick's novels (Winter Wake and Night Stone) and haven't been wowed by them. But Untcigahunk: The Complete Little Brothers is one of the first ebooks I bought.

Quote:
Glimpses, a career-spanning “best of” collection that brings together twenty-four stories, including eight from each of Rick’s critically-acclaimed collections Bedbugs and Occasional Demons, and eight previously uncollected stories.

And Glimpses delivers what it promises—quick glimpses into the deepest shadows of our lives, around unfamiliar corners of streets we think we know, and down the darkest alleys of strange cities where readers will have to face their worst fears and their most unnerving nightmares.

Of course, Glimpses wouldn’t be a Rick Hautala collection if it didn’t included gorgeous original artwork—a wraparound cover and eight new illustrations—from award-winning artist Glenn Chadbourne.

So whether it’s in a haunted schoolhouse or an abandoned lighthouse, an iron bridge that spans a fast-moving river or a World War I battlefield, prepare yourself because you never know what you may catch a glimpse of … and by then, it may already be too late.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #1332
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)

This one is currently Free on Kindle,
https://www.amazon.com/Science-Women...7854197&sr=8-2

Quote:
From scream queens to femmes fatale, horror isn’t just for the boys.

Gothic media moguls Meg Hafdahl and Kelly Florence, authors of The Science of Monsters, and co-hosts of the Horror Rewind podcast called “the best horror film podcast out there” by Film Daddy, present a guide to the feminist horror movies, TV shows, and characters we all know and love.

Through interviews, film analysis, and bone-chilling discoveries, The Science of Women in Horror uncovers the theories behind women’s most iconic roles of the genre. Explore age-old tropes such as “The Innocent” like Lydia in Beetlejuice, “The Gorgon” like Pamela Voorhees in Friday the 13th, and “The Mother” like Norma Bates in Pyscho and Bates Motel, and delve deeper into female-forward film and TV including:
The Haunting of Hill House
Teeth
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
And so much more!
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:27 PM   #1333
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

^

Got it.

Thank you!
Old 08-19-2020, 05:14 PM   #1334
nprentiss
Connoisseur
nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post

This one is currently Free on Kindle,
https://www.amazon.com/Science-Women...7854197&sr=8-2
The Science of Monsters by the same authors is also free at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Science-Monst.../dp/B07P566P84
nprentiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:31 PM   #1335
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

^ Well, hot damn, as we say here in the South.

Got that one, too.

Thank you!