Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-09-2020, 07:11 PM   #1216
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Wow

Not to be slightly off topic, but when checking out an OutofPrint.com sale on their new T-Shirts, they've added Stephen King shirts! I have five of their shirts already but they are all mainly classics, which they usually covered besides Harry Potter. Sadly I need to save my money for now and was just looking. The It, Stand, and Pet Semetary Shirts are all my favorite classic covers. Must....Resist....for now. 0_0
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:00 AM   #1217
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Finished Nightscape last night. Still on sale for $0.99. I'd recommend it. It deserved a classier cover than the schlocky original (though that schlocky original is charming in its way).

I liked Stephen George and will buy and read more of his work. And his books are fairly priced at $3.99 each, so no need to wait on sales (not that I wouldn't take a deal).

Speaking of his covers, doesn't this modern cover for Torment just look like a typical teenage girl who's in one of those arguments with her parents where 'they just don't understand'? I imagine she's shouting "Moooooom!"

Started Children of the Dark by Jonathan Janz. I'm in the middle of Chapter Three.
She brings to mind the girl in The Exorcist.

I'm still reading Nightscape. Got too many books on the go at once so it's a chapter or two a day. I'd certainly consider more books by this author. And I like the cheesy cover!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2020, 03:51 PM   #1218
BetterRead
Addict
BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet
Summer of Night by Dan Simmons is currently $2.99 at Amazon US, Kobo, and other etailers.

Quote:
It's the summer of 1960. The sixth-grade boys of Elm Haven, Illinois, are forging the powerful bonds that a lifetime of change will never break. Amid the sun-drenched cornfields and the sly flirtations of the town's young girls, that loyalty will be pitilessly tested.

When a long-silent bell peals in the middle of the night, the townsfolk know it marks the end of their carefree days. From the depths of the Old Central School, an invisible evil is rising. Strange and horrifying events begin to overtake everyday life, spreading terror through the once idyllic town. Determined to exorcise this ancient plague, Mike, Duane, Dale, Harlen, and Kevin must wage a war of blood—against an arcane abomination who owns the night...
BetterRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #1219
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Wow

Not to be slightly off topic, but when checking out an OutofPrint.com sale on their new T-Shirts, they've added Stephen King shirts! I have five of their shirts already but they are all mainly classics, which they usually covered besides Harry Potter. Sadly I need to save my money for now and was just looking. The It, Stand, and Pet Semetary Shirts are all my favorite classic covers. Must....Resist....for now. 0_0
I'd never heard of the site before.

I love the original cover of Stephen King's It. None of the follow-ups have been quite as good as the original.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:18 AM   #1220
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
I'm still reading Nightscape. Got too many books on the go at once so it's a chapter or two a day. I'd certainly consider more books by this author. And I like the cheesy cover!
I agree with you on George. He's definitely worth another look.

Secretely, I like the cheesy cover too. It's just way more lurid than the book it's selling.

As I buy more Stephen George, don't think I won't be seeking out the original cheesy covers.
Advert
Old 07-11-2020, 10:21 AM   #1221
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRead View Post
Summer of Night by Dan Simmons is currently $2.99 at Amazon US, Kobo, and other etailers.
What a coincidence. After I finish Children of the Dark, my next planned read is Summer of Night.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #1222
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

The Tenth Girl by Sara Faring is $2.99 at Amazon US.

Not sure if this is horror or thriller. It's billed as 'literary', so be warned if that's not your thing The setting alone convinced me to purchase it.

Quote:
A haunted Argentinian mansion.
A family curse.
A twist you'll never see coming.
Welcome to Vaccaro School.

Simmering in Patagonian myth, The Tenth Girl is a gothic psychological thriller with a haunting twist.

At the very southern tip of South America looms an isolated finishing school. Legend has it that the land will curse those who settle there. But for Mavi—a bold Buenos Aires native fleeing the military regime that took her mother—it offers an escape to a new life as a young teacher to Argentina’s elite girls.

Mavi tries to embrace the strangeness of the imposing house—despite warnings not to roam at night, threats from an enigmatic young man, and rumors of mysterious Others. But one of Mavi’s ten students is missing, and when students and teachers alike begin to behave as if possessed, the forces haunting this unholy cliff will no longer be ignored... and one of these spirits holds a secret that could unravel Mavi’s existence.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:57 AM   #1223
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^ An intelligent, literary horror novel for a change.

Just exactly what I'm looking for right now.

Got it.

Thank you!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:36 PM   #1224
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Plague of the Undead by Joe McKinney is $1.99 at Amazon US.

I read Joe's first novel Dead City when it was first published back in 2006. He mostly writes zombie novels set following the Romero rules (no running zombies). When Dead City was published, zombie stories were a novelty.

Quote:
A Handful Of Survivors
For thirty years, they have avoided the outbreak of walking death that has consumed America's heartland. They have secured a small compound near the ruins of Little Rock, Arkansas. Isolated from the world. Immune to the horror. Blissfully unaware of what lies outside in the region known as the Dead Lands. Until now...
A New Generation Of Explorers
Led by a military vet who's seen better days, the inexperienced offspring of the original survivors form a small expedition to explore the wastelands around them. A biologist, an anthropologist, a cartographer, a salvage expert--all are hoping to build a new future from the rubble, which they call the "Dead Lands." Until all hell breaks loose...
A Land Of Death
The infected are still out there. Stalking. Feeding. Spreading like a virus. Wild animals roam the countryside, hunting prey. Small pockets of humanity hide in the shadows: some scared, some mad, all dangerous. This is the New World. If the explorers want it, they'll have to take it. Dead or alive...
There's a sequel, The Dead Won't Die, that's also on sale for $2.99.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:01 PM   #1225
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Horns by Joe Hill is $3.99 at Amazon US.

Quote:
Joe Hill's critically acclaimed, New York Times bestselling, Bram Stoker Award-winning debut chiller, Heart-Shaped Box, heralded the arrival of new royalty onto the dark fantasy scene. With Horns, he polishes his well-deserved crown. A twisted, terrifying new novel of psychological and supernatural suspense, Horns is a devilishly original triumph for the Ray Bradbury Fellowship recipient whose story collection, 20th Century Ghosts, was also honored with a Bram Stoker Award—and whose emotionally powerful and macabre work has been praised by the New York Times as, "wild, mesmerizing, perversely witty…a Valentine from hell."
The movie is also available on Netflix in the US at least. I'd recommend it.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:45 PM   #1226
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

The Melting Dead by Doug Lamoreux is $0.99 at Amazon US.

Dude, the price, title and cover sell this one. But if you need to know unimportant things like the story, here you go:

Quote:
Everything they grab burns.

Everyone they touch dies.

Everything they kill comes back from the dead.

A secluded Mississippi River island is the perfect vacation getaway - until the space rocks land. A family is killed by searing radiation. The same cosmic force returns Dad, sis, and the two boys from the grave.

But they're deteriorating quickly; melting away. And they want your flesh.

Oh, look. Here come the tourists.

A B-movie between book covers, The Melting Dead is a roller-coaster ride that will burst your heart with fear and make your sides ache with laughter.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:50 AM   #1227
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
The Melting Dead by Doug Lamoreux is $0.99 at Amazon US.

Dude, the price, title and cover sell this one. But if you need to know unimportant things like the story, here you go:
Sounds too good to miss! 😊 Thank you! 😊
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:50 AM   #1228
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Epidemic of the Living Dead by John Russo is $2.99 at Amazon US.

John A. Russo co-wrote Night of the Living Dead with George Romero back in 1968 and has basically been dining out on it ever since. He also retained the rights to the term 'living dead' which is why George's sequels are called 'of the Dead' and John Russo worked on the Return of the Living Dead series.

Quote:
From the screenwriter of the original 1968 Night of the Living Dead comes a shocking new wave of zombie mayhem to devour your dreams—and feed your nightmares . . .

THEY ARE WHAT THEY EAT
It starts with infected needles. It spreads like a plague. Soon the town of Chapel Grove, Pennsylvania, is overrun with cannibalistic corpses. Some are taken down with a bullet to the brain. Others, torched like kindling. But a few have survived—inside a maternity ward . . .

THEY’RE EATING FOR TWO NOW
Detective Bill Curtis manages to rescue his pregnant wife Lauren from the ward in the nick of time. But the other pregnant women are not so lucky. Some of them have been bitten—and infected. Now it’s anyone’s guess what’s growing inside them . . .

THEY’RE THE NEXT GENERATION
But the nightmare isn’t over yet. The infected mothers’ newborns appear to be normal. But as the years go by, Bill and Lauren Curtis begin to worry about their beautiful, healthy daughter Jodie. Jodie is drawn to the town’s “special” children, the ones whose mothers were bitten. They’re reaching adolescence now. Their hormones are raging. And they’re starting to possess strange appetitites . . .

If you thought millenials werea pain, just wait until you meet Generation Z.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:03 PM   #1229
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'd never heard of the site before.

I love the original cover of Stephen King's It. None of the follow-ups have been quite as good as the original.
They are a bit pricey so I wait for sales. I have about five of their shirts. I like the quality/comfort and design and recommend them. I have a pair of socks and pencil case I received from a Goodreads conference I attended from them six years ago, they've been around for awhile
Old 07-13-2020, 12:26 PM   #1230
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Valencourt books, which republishes many oldies from the book Paperbacks from Hell, is having their July special of a gothic book for 2.99. It was republished from 1947 and is available as a new ebook or paperback version. Option to grab as mobi or PDF from their site for the price.

Book Description

At the end of his life, Forrest Reid (1875-1947) extensively revised his novel The Bracknels (1911), which had been acclaimed by critics and whose admirers included E.M. Forster and D.H. Lawrence; the result was the posthumously published Denis Bracknel (1947), and it remains one of his finest achievements. A story in the tradition of Henry James’s The Turn of the Screw and with a slow-building dread reminiscent of the works of Sheridan Le Fanu, Reid’s novel opens with the arrival of young tutor Hubert Rusk, just down from Oxford, at the home of the well-to-do Bracknel family. Though the entire family is odd, none of them is stranger than Rusk’s pupil, fifteen-year-old Denis, a highly imaginative, unworldly boy who is attuned to the occult and performs bizarre rituals by moonlight. As Rusk befriends Denis and gains his trust, he gradually learns the startling and horrific truth behind the boy’s behaviour and will have to struggle to save him from a terrible fate . . .

This new edition is the first-ever republication of Reid’s final novel and features a new introduction by Andrew Doyle and rare and previously unpublished archival materials, including photographs and letters.

https://www.valancourtbooks.com/deni...knel-1947.html