Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Undo function?

Happened to read this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142033

I have many times done things to my Calibre and few clicks later decided I don't like it. Once I searched high and low how to get to the place where I changed 'Edit Metadata' screen - whole 5 minutes had passed from the change.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was 'undo' like in Word? Or ability to take 'snapshot' of settings, name it and save it (custom columns should be left alone of course). So I can save my settings, play to my heart's content and always return to the starting point (or other saved point).

Even textfile with settings would be helpful - then I can start from the top and one by one check what is different.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
Just thought of another:
So want a "back button"
Many times I want to go back a step, either to undo, or just to go back to the previous display I had. I imagine its probably already on Kovids 300 long todo list
Had the same thought myself a few min ago...

Not only undo, but a back button, to take you for example to your previous search result
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nice to see your reply, I was already getting hairy feeling that I'm only one who can't remember all the clicked settings/buttons.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
The Walk Search History plugin gives you exactly the ability to walk backwards (or forwards) to your previous search, with a button and keyboard shortcuts.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
travger
Evangelist

Wow, thanks; though I've not yet reached the searching state. Still trying to determine which columns and metadata I need (have about 50 books in Library). Wonder if I can use it for a database of successful search expressions...probably not, name sounds like 'clear search history' button will clean the slate.

I was dreaming about something like a place to store all the Look and Feel and Output Options and even Toolbar settings etc. I have lost an icon from toolbar (in another program), took me some months to notice and then the main question became 'What did I have there?', not 'How to get it back?'
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
Wow, thanks; though I've not yet reached the searching state. Still trying to determine which columns and metadata I need (have about 50 books in Library). Wonder if I can use it for a database of successful search expressions...probably not, name sounds like 'clear search history' button will clean the slate.
Why not use saved searches to save your successful search expressions?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
travger
Evangelist

Of course.

Though it will probably take me year or so to enter so many books that search is necessary - first priority is reading, figuring out where and how I like the metadata...
Old 07-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
it will probably take me year or so to enter so many books that search is necessary
I couldn't live without saved searches. You don't need lots of books for them to be useful. My wife and I have different preferences for news recipes. I tag them with her name and my name (auto-tag applied from the recipe news fetch screen) .

My two favorite saved searches are 1) for all news that is more recent than one day, and has her name in the tags, and 2) the same, but with my name. We use them from the content server or tag browser all the time. One click and I'm looking at only the most recent news for me or her.

My next favorite is my "ToRead" search which excludes any I've already read. I add on a restriction to that saved search for whatever I'm currently interested in reading (non-fiction, naval fiction, hard science fiction, etc.) in my genre/tags so by clicking that saved search in the tag browser or content server, I immediately see a selection of books that fit my current reading binge.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote