Notices

Old 03-24-2024, 12:56 PM   #31
meghane_e
Connoisseur
meghane_e began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Well, this is not true. I send ePub v3 (e.g. as converted by calibre) to send to kindle and they work fine.

But if it is not valid ePub (whether 2 or 3) in the first place, there's a good chance Send to Kindle will not accept them.

In that case, one needs to determine the nature of the invalidity and fix it (and maybe consider not getting ePub from that source in the future). Feeding it to calibre to convert to ePub 2 is not guaranteed to clean up these issues.
If you're implying only books from bad sources are susceptible to errors, that's a bit erroneous. I've had a few older books that I purchased from both Amazon and Barnes & Noble that, when converted to epub, would not be accepted by SendToKindle (but readable in other epub browsers), so please, maybe don't suggest people simply not get their books from a certain source.

I wasn't going to post this yesterday since it seemed obvious, but older books or books from indie presses or directly from authors, are more likely to have an out-of-date format or have malformed entities in it. That doesn't mean don't get them. Just have appropriate expectations.

Addendum: As others wrote below, even bigger publishers put out poor quality ebooks from time to time. And to extend that: Amazon uses it as an reason to "automatically update" the copy you bought. But they ALSO do it for reasons unrelated to publishing corrections, like re-DRMing ebooks or changing the covers (which annoys me greatly!). I've had artwork covers replaced with photoshop covers, probably because it's cheaper for the publisher.

Last edited by meghane_e; 03-26-2024 at 03:05 PM. Reason: update
meghane_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 01:32 PM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Í've had junk formatting that needed fixing from the Big publishers.

As meghane_e writes, the source is irrelevant. At least ebooks can be fixed. I've bought some paper ones I can hardly read.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 02:07 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Well, this is not true. I send ePub v3 (e.g. as converted by calibre) to send to kindle and they work fine.

But if it is not valid ePub (whether 2 or 3) in the first place, there's a good chance Send to Kindle will not accept them.

In that case, one needs to determine the nature of the invalidity and fix it (and maybe consider not getting ePub from that source in the future). Feeding it to calibre to convert to ePub 2 is not guaranteed to clean up these issues.
I have seen some retail ePub have errors when verified with epubcheck. So the best solution is to check with epubcheck and if there are any errors, fix them in the editor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 02:08 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Í've had junk formatting that needed fixing from the Big publishers.

As meghane_e writes, the source is irrelevant. At least ebooks can be fixed. I've bought some paper ones I can hardly read.
I had one eBook I bought that had some errors in the CSS. I was able to fix the errors. But they should not have needed to be fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote