Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
HELP: Kindle PW read only on MacOS Mojave

Hi there,

Been a while since I posted here, but you guys are all geniuses, so if anyone can solve this, you can. I have an old Paperwhite (2012 I think) that is visible in the Finder on Mac, but is apparently mounted read only since I cannot copy anything via drag and drop (I get the circle with a line through it) or through Calibre (which reports that the /Volumes/Kindle volume is mounted read-only).

I have tried running fsck_msdos on it and it doesn't report any issues. I've reset it to factory and am getting the same results on two different PW's.

Any thoughts?

I'm running macOS 10.14.2, kindle version 5.6.1.1.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:50 AM   #2
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MapleRead, iPad Pro 12.9" 2018, iPhone 12 Pro, Kobo Forma 32gb
I am not having this issue on Mojave currently. It may be that your Kindle is too old for the new APFS file system. In fact, that is what I think is happening.

The only thing I can tell you is to download Calibre and see if that helps you get things onto your Kindle.
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the reply. Calibre still needs to be able to write to the Kindle and it does that by writing through the OS. So if the OS sees it as read-only, it also will fail to write in Calibre. I was able to get it to read on an old iMac running High Sierra, but then it also worked from an old Mac mini using Mojave, so I'm at a loss.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A read-only mount on a *nix operating system generally indicates a corrupt file system - ie the Mac has detected something wrong with the Kindle's FS. I'd guess that one of the things you did has fixed the corruption. Have you tried again to re-mount it on the machine that originally gave the error?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
astrodad
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A read-only mount on a *nix operating system generally indicates a corrupt file system - ie the Mac has detected something wrong with the Kindle's FS.
Fair point. I ran fsck on it but it didn't complain, and then I also reset to factory, although now that I think about it, that might not actually reformat the file system.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
A factory reset will indeed reformat the userstore partition, which is what gets exported over USBMS, and what appears to have been wonky on your device

And it's handled in a manner tricky enough, that, yes, you should trust the Kindle to do it, and *never* fsck it manually, as the only thing that's likely to do is b0rk it. (And don't even try *formatting* it yourself, as that will *definitely* not work).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #7
astrodad
Guru

Update: Problem identified

My company in their infinite wisdom rolled out a new security policy that affects all PCs and Macs preventing writing to external USB drives. Apparently we are all supposed to use the cloud now. It's ridiculous, but now I understand why this is failing. Thanks to those that responded.