Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Kindle users loved my light wedge

Yesterday, while waiting in an airport, I had an interesting encounter. A man was reading his Kindle (1) and a few people stopped to look at it and ask him about it. Then another man walked over with his Kindle 2 and people started comparing those. A third man then took out his iPhone to show off his Kindle iPhone app. Finally, I couldn't resist, so I took my Sony 505 with light wedge over the group. What was interesting was that the bulk of the people who didn't have eBooks were mostly fascinated by the Kindles, but the Kindle users were fascinated by my light wedge.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm glad to see that eBooks are becoming more common. I remember visiting these forums months after the 505 and Kindle had been released and a lot of posters mentioned that they rarely see anyone else out in public with them.

Hopefully with more sales of electronic reading devices, more publishers will hop on and provide more content, competitive prices and better quality.

It seems like Sony's 700 would've been a big hit with the built in light if it had not been for the duller screen and apparent dust problem.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
Yesterday, while waiting in an airport, I had an interesting encounter. A man was reading his Kindle (1) and a few people stopped to look at it and ask him about it. Then another man walked over with his Kindle 2 and people started comparing those. A third man then took out his iPhone to show off his Kindle iPhone app. Finally, I couldn't resist, so I took my Sony 505 with light wedge over the group. What was interesting was that the bulk of the people who didn't have eBooks were mostly fascinated by the Kindles, but the Kindle users were fascinated by my light wedge.
I've been using a Light Wedge with my Kindle 1 for several weeks now. Works rather nicely, although, I only use it when I travel.

What was interesting to me was a recent library experience. None of the local librarians had seen an ebook reader, of any kind. Far less did they understand that the library could actually have an online system that might allow people to check out books to read on their devices.

This tells me that there is still a long path to travel. Worth the trek no matter what type of device you prefer, but still very long.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I love my lightwedge!! I'm actually surprised that the Kindle doesn't have an acessory like this already. The only ones I've seen so far, aside from the Sony lightwedge, are the ones designed for regular books.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I really love my lightwedge too. I've got four cases for my 505, but it stays in the lightwedge about 90% of the time.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I own both a Kindle and a Sony reader. My hubby bought me the Sony cover with the lightwedge built in -- which makes it much nicer for me to read in the car at night without a flashlight or typical book light bothering his eyes and messing up his night vision. I'd love to have a custom-fitted lightwedge for the Kindle, whether mounted in a cover like the Sony, or just as a separate thing that could be placed on the screen regardless of which cover I'm using.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
tdavie
tdavie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I bought the light wedge and actually despise it I find the light an 'un natural' colour and too 'splotchy' to be enjoyable. I took the wedge off, but have kept the case on.

As soon as I can find where I out the wedge I'm going to offer to someone on this board just for shipping (5-6$?).

Tom
tdavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavie View Post
I bought the light wedge and actually despise it I find the light an 'un natural' colour and too 'splotchy' to be enjoyable. I took the wedge off, but have kept the case on.

As soon as I can find where I out the wedge I'm going to offer to someone on this board just for shipping (5-6$?).

Tom

I'm not crazy about it either, but it is the best available for me. I have a lovely rechargeable 505, but this cover light uses AAA batteries. The batteries always run out at the exact wrong time. And it adds a lot of weight to the reader. And the glow is not even at all, like reading by candle light or something.

But, like I said, it is the best thing available for now.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:

Tom
If you find it I'd love to take it off your hands for the cost of shipping! PM me when you find it.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I'm kind of scared to try out the light wedge. I use a book light for reading in bed.

I still have never seen anyone irl use an ereader of any sort. It's a lonely life...
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:41 PM   #11
heatherc
Enthusiast
heatherc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Oo! I'd be interested in buying your light wedge!
heatherc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:06 AM   #12
tdavie
tdavie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I've started looking for it.

i'll post as soon as i find it. LieI said....free.

Tom
tdavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:27 AM   #13
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I've been using a Light Wedge with my Kindle 1 for several weeks now. Works rather nicely, although, I only use it when I travel.
RM, is the light wedge built for the kindle? Or is it something you retro-fitted?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:22 AM   #14
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
I've started looking for it.

i'll post as soon as i find it. LieI said....free.

Tom
Good luck; whenever I must find something it always in in the last place I think to look; either that or it's hiding in plain sight.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote