Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 10-10-2023, 06:54 AM   #1
PNAW59
PNAW59 began at the beginning.

Device: Marvin
Contact with Appstrafian developer of Marvin App

Hi All,

Is there anyone that knows how to get in contact with the Appstrafian, the developer of the eBook reader Marvin??
The app has been removed from the IOS store and I need to recover my books.
Most grateful for any help
Best regards, PNAW59
PNAW59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 01:35 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
We’ve been trying for a couple of years now. No luck so far…
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2023, 02:15 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNAW59 View Post
Hi All,

Is there anyone that knows how to get in contact with the Appstrafian, the developer of the eBook reader Marvin??
The app has been removed from the IOS store and I need to recover my books.
Most grateful for any help
Best regards, PNAW59
Are you saying that after you added your eBooks to Marvin that you deleted them from the computer?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:37 AM   #4
PNAW59
PNAW59 began at the beginning.

Device: Marvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you saying that after you added your eBooks to Marvin that you deleted them from the computer?
No. The books have been downloaded from various sites, and incorporated into the Marvin App in my iPad. Now, as Marvin is removed from the app store I cannot access the app, and neither the book content. I can see the book content in the storage of the iPad (22 gb) and I can see it in the iCloud backup, however I cannot access. I dont have backup outside Marvin. Big problem, and not nice of Marvin. I am ready to reward anyone that can help.
PNAW59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 01:54 PM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not Marvin’s fault. Apple removed it from their store. Apple also implemented the “feature” (a bad one IMO) to ‘offload’ apps that weren’t used in a long time. There is a setting to disable that functionality for the future. You didn’t use Marvin for so long that it was offloaded… by Apple. Don’t blame Marvin

In any case… follow the directions we mentioned. As long as you have another device that has Marvin installed you will be able to reinstall Marvin and recover your backed up books.
Advert
Old 10-11-2023, 09:07 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

You ***MAY*** even find that you can directly access the Marvin backup using iMazing. It may be that you can copy the (.zip?) file including all your books from the backup to your desktop.

I haven't tried this specifically but I have been very impressed with iMazing's capabilities.
Old 10-11-2023, 11:12 PM   #7
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
You ***MAY*** even find that you can directly access the Marvin backup using iMazing. It may be that you can copy the (.zip?) file including all your books from the backup to your desktop.
From which backup? There is none!

Another side note. If they are purchased books, he can download them again. What’s the problem?

Last edited by Wiggo; 10-11-2023 at 11:16 PM.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 08:14 AM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:

I can see the book content in the storage of the iPad (22 gb) and I can see it in the iCloud backup, however I cannot access. I dont have backup outside Marvin...
This one.
Old 10-12-2023, 09:50 AM   #9
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have no access to the iCloud backup and no access to an deinstalled app on your device!

It is always the same everywhere. People don't make an external backup and afterwards there's a lot of crying.
Old 10-12-2023, 10:21 AM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
No. The books have been downloaded from various sites, and incorporated into the Marvin App in my iPad. Now, as Marvin is removed from the app store I cannot access the app, and neither the book content. I can see the book content in the storage of the iPad (22 gb) and I can see it in the iCloud backup, however I cannot access. I dont have backup outside Marvin. Big problem, and not nice of Marvin. I am ready to reward anyone that can help.
OK ... PNAW59 ... I do agree with Wiggo that you should always make a backup. However that feeling/rant doesn't help you retrieve your books...

So, try this:

- Install iMazing

- Run iMazing

- plug in your iPad with the 22 gb of books

- use iMazing to transfer the files to your desktop
Old 10-12-2023, 10:22 AM   #11
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
You could try to install marvin from an alternative appstore.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 11:35 AM   #12
Wiggo
Leftutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
OK ... PNAW59 ... I do agree with Wiggo that you should always make a backup. However that feeling/rant doesn't help you retrieve your books...

So, try this:

- Install iMazing

- Run iMazing

- plug in your iPad with the 22 gb of books

- use iMazing to transfer the files to your desktop
Will someone please believe me that this doesn't work!

I have offloaded Marvin on my second iPad and no, you can't access any of Marvin's files (as PNAW59 mentioned too) - case closed.

I would have even sent him the ipa file, but unfortunately it is bound to my Apple ID (as mentioned in the video).

@rantanplan: Jailbreaking the iPad by someone who's not able to google Marvin's contact email?

Last edited by Wiggo; 10-12-2023 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-12-2023, 05:43 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
You have no access to the iCloud backup and no access to an deinstalled app on your device!

It is always the same everywhere. People don't make an external backup and afterwards there's a lot of crying.
iCloud backups just backup the data and the app name. Then when you restore, the data gets restored and the apps get downloaded from the App Store. If any apps no longer exists in the App Store, then you've lost the app(s).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 07:07 PM   #14
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Or you can reinstall the app, if you have the ipa file, then restore the data.

I also vaguely remember a conversation with someone here a while back saying that the backup file is a simple zip-type compression folder. If you copy that file to your desktop (regardless of the app being installed) then you can un-zippify the backup folder.
Old 10-12-2023, 11:53 PM   #15
Wiggo
Leftutti

Turtle, for god’s sake, please stop!