Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 05-22-2023, 07:43 AM   #46
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can now give up Marvin for MapleRead. Under the settings is a Gestures option and that allows you to set the left screen to tap to page forward.
I just updated it to SE 4.8.1 and I do not have the Gestures under settings.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:08 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I just updated it to SE 4.8.1 and I do not have the Gestures under settings.
While in in an eBook, tap the top of the screen. Then tap the icon that looks like a sun. A big box titled Gestures is at the bottom left.

I have the iOS CX version. So if you are using an Android version without this features, switch to the iOS version for forget about Android.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2023, 10:21 AM   #48
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs down

Quote:
I have the iOS CX version. So if you are using an Android version
There is no MapleRead on Android, as far as I know.

Even if it were, it can hardly compete with Moon+ Reader Pro, I'd guess.

However, the optimal e-reader app needs to be cross-platform and must include the web – not just the duopoly of the two mobile operating systems. So, BookFusion has it right.

This is where Moon+ Reader Pro fails for me, no matter how wonderful (although far from perfect) it is on Android.

And this is also where MapleRead fails for me, no matter how truly good it is in iOS. An Android version and a web version are a must.

Quote:
So if you are using an Android version without this features, switch to the iOS version for forget about Android.
That would be an extremely unwise step. Android is an incomparably better operating system than Apple's prison of iOS, Apple's dictatorship.

Are you seriously suggesting someone should stick with Apple's prison of iOS instead of switching to Android, when in this very thread, we are facing the sad consequences of Apple's despotism, where it won't allow us to continue using Marvin, even though there is no obstacle for its continued use on Marvin's side?

If Marvin were an Android app, it would not matter in the least that Kris stopped developing it years ago. Even if it disappeared from Google's Play Store, anyone could sideload it within 30 seconds from third-party Android app stores and continue using it. I do that with many exquisite Android apps that have disappeared from Google's Play Store – including apps whose developers (very sad) have even died! No hope for continued development there, but on Android, it doesn't matter.

Let's admit the truth, guys & gals: Apple's operating system is silly and despotic, it's a prison, which is why I stopped using the iPhone years ago.

(Hardware-wise, though, the iPads are great, which is why I continue using them daily in all three sizes, despite the severe and cruel limitations, heavyhandedness and awkwardness of Apple's operating system.)

Last edited by Faterson; 05-22-2023 at 10:24 AM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 02:05 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Faterson Give it a rest. This is not an Apple vs Android OS war.

And Moon+ is garbage.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:31 PM   #50
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Does anyone know what the last version of iTunes is that allows a backup that contains the apps and not just a reference to them?
iOS 12.6.5.3 (circa 2017) but I don't know if that will work with newer iOS versions.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2023, 08:39 PM   #51
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillachie View Post
An alternative that you can consider is BookFusion if you are open to trying something new that is not Marvin.

It can be found at https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bookfusion/id1141834096 . Take a look at the reviews and then test drive it for yourself as well.

While we might not have all the full feature set of Marvin, we do have most and are happy to explore adding any missing feature that readers deem a must have.
I just tried BookFusion. Library/bookshelf view is nicer than Marvin. Alas, it's missing a few of my absolute must-have features.
  1. Option to disable page turn animations
  2. Customizable tap zones
  3. Vertical slide for brightness
Old 05-22-2023, 09:14 PM   #52
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

I recently reset setup an iPad mini 6 for family and I'm sad to see that Marvin is completely gone from the App Store.

I kept an iPad Pro 9.7, Pro 10.5 and Air 3 on iOS 14 so those will remain my Marvin readers until I find a better alternative.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:00 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'd like to be able to give MapleRead a proper go, but I can't as I'd have to pay to give it a proper try as the CX (free) version does not allow me to install custom fonts. Even just one font family would do. I'm not against paying if I like it. But I don't know if I'll like it if I cannot try a must have feature.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:12 AM   #54
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
While in in an eBook, tap the top of the screen. Then tap the icon that looks like a sun. A big box titled Gestures is at the bottom left.

I have the iOS CX version. So if you are using an Android version without this features, switch to the iOS version for forget about Android.
Thanks, found it! Now if it would just let me choose the info below the title or (add the author to the title line and adhere to Calibre's ability to put the series in the author line). Very irritating to have to keep sorting to get to the next book in a series. I like to keep the sort in the date added sequence. Of course these are not deal breakers, just irritants, but until Marvin goes away I won't be using MapleRead other than a catalog.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:03 PM   #55
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Give it a rest. This is not an Apple vs Android OS war.
I reacted to your nonsense piece of advice, that's all.

Quote:
And Moon+ is garbage.
Moon+ Reader Pro is the finest e-reader app on Android, hands down, and everyone except you recognizes it.

Its main drawback is that it's Android-only.

Naturally, I would still rate it at only about 3 ½ stars (just like Marvin), 4 stars at most, because I know of no 5-star e-reader app on any platform. BookFusion at least looks promising that it might get there one day, but that day is probably still in considerable distance from us.
Old 05-23-2023, 03:21 PM   #56
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I'd like to be able to give MapleRead a proper go, but I can't as I'd have to pay to give it a proper try as the CX (free) version does not allow me to install custom fonts. Even just one font family would do. I'm not against paying if I like it. But I don't know if I'll like it if I cannot try a must have feature.
I just tested it again directly on my iPad without a PC with your Charis font - it works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2446.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	661.7 KB
ID:	201657  

Last edited by Wiggo; 05-23-2023 at 03:24 PM.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 04:09 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
I just tested it again directly on my iPad without a PC with your Charis font - it works
Brilliant! Thank you very much for the font test. I'll give the CX version a go with a book I want to read and see how I get on. If it works well enough, I may buy the ePub only version.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:11 PM   #58
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

I instantly bought all MapleRead versions years ago, just to show my appreciation to the developer. In the same way, I bought the various "color packs" for Marvin, even though I don't need them, just to show my appreciation to Kris.

I mean, it's a couple of bucks, for goodness' sake, basically peanuts. If it was dozens of dollars per app, then yes, I'd carefully consider every purchase.

Anyway, I'm happy to pay even a recurring subscription, as long as the app is good (if not great) and is being continually developed, with severe bugs or functionally gaps being gradually eliminated.

If Marvin returned as a subscription-based app, I'd subscribe immediately, of course.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:45 PM   #59
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
If Marvin returned as a subscription-based app, I'd subscribe immediately, of course.
Something on which we agree!!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 04:47 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I instantly bought all MapleRead versions years ago, just to show my appreciation to the developer. In the same way, I bought the various "color packs" for Marvin, even though I don't need them, just to show my appreciation to Kris.

I mean, it's a couple of bucks, for goodness' sake, basically peanuts. If it was dozens of dollars per app, then yes, I'd carefully consider every purchase.

Anyway, I'm happy to pay even a recurring subscription, as long as the app is good (if not great) and is being continually developed, with severe bugs or functionally gaps being gradually eliminated.

I did pay for Marvin. But the thing is, it's finding an app that I like well enough. I know the cost is not that much. But I don't like throwing away money on buying an app I may not like. So I like to be as sure as I can.