Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 05-20-2023, 03:54 PM   #31
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
on a limited income I cannot subscribe to it. If it was a one-time purchase, I could budget it.
Well, I subscribed to the lowest BookFusion tier to start with – $19 per year isn't really all that much. If skillachie keeps improving the app at the current rate, I'll be happy to subscribe to a higher tier in future, perhaps, if only to support the app's development.

(The other two tiers are $48 and $96 annually. The only real difference is storage space: 5 GB versus 20 GB versus 100 GB. I currently only use 317 MB out of the 5 GB.)

I sync my books via Dropbox, so don't really need storage space directly or even virtually within an e-reader app.

I only need to keep those books in sync that I currently read. I used to read 7 books simultaneously, but have now increased that to reading 32 books at the same time – in 21 different languages. Some are EPUBs, others (where no quality EPUB is available) only PDFs, and some (worst of all, I guess) are only available online, such as through the Internet Archive (archive.org) online lending library (those are typically scanned books).

So, as can be seen, even BookFusion can't be a "one-stop solution" for me – unless, skillachie, you also incorporate a browser window within BookFusion!

The important thing for me is that, once I run out of storage space in BookFusion, there should be an option to export my annotations reliably. And I think we've been working on that with skillachie in the MobileRead threads dedicated to BookFusion: here and here and here. That is where Dion's and everyone else's feedback to BookFusion would no doubt be highly welcome, so that we're not hopelessly off-topic here in the Marvin section.

(I apologize to skillachie I haven't had time, since last summer, to look at the BookFusion threads, but will do so as soon as time permits.)
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:59 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can Bookfusion allow custom fonts?

The biggest problem (IMHO) is that it's a subscription model. Not everyone can afford such an expensive subscription. A one-time price would do much better. In there days of increased cost of living, a subscription to read ePub is a really bad idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2023, 05:46 PM   #33
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can Bookfusion allow custom fonts?

The biggest problem (IMHO) is that it's a subscription model. Not everyone can afford such an expensive subscription. A one-time price would do much better. In there days of increased cost of living, a subscription to read ePub is a really bad idea.
From the couple of books I looked at it didn’t appear to support embedded fonts. It looks like you can select from: a list of fonts that are built-in to the app, ‘system fonts’, or “default”. I couldn’t verify if the “default” was the embedded font. I also didn't see a way to side load a font, but that may be doable by loading the font onto “the system” (if possible).

As far as a subscription model goes… I don’t like them either… I much prefer buying my software and being done. However, subscription is the only way to keep the cash flow that pays for programmers to keep working on the app. I think Marvin’s one-fee model is one reason why it isn’t being maintained. It was Kris’ ‘project’, not his ‘business’.

I’m sure there is plenty more discussion of Bookfusion’s merits over at the links Faterson posted. Thanks!
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 06:10 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
From the couple of books I looked at it didn’t appear to support embedded fonts. It looks like you can select from: a list of fonts that are built-in to the app, ‘system fonts’, or “default”. I couldn’t verify if the “default” was the embedded font. I also didn't see a way to side load a font, but that may be doable by loading the font onto “the system” (if possible).

As far as a subscription model goes… I don’t like them either… I much prefer buying my software and being done. However, subscription is the only way to keep the cash flow that pays for programmers to keep working on the app. I think Marvin’s one-fee model is one reason why it isn’t being maintained. It was Kris’ ‘project’, not his ‘business’.

I’m sure there is plenty more discussion of Bookfusion’s merits over at the links Faterson posted. Thanks!
Bookfusion should allow custom fonts. I don't want to read with the default fonts.

Another feature I'd like to have is ADE page numbers. I don't recall if that's available. And where is hyphenation?

Also, a subscription model is not something I will pay for. If I decide I like bookfusion enough to pay for it, I'll do so as a one off.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-20-2023 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2023, 12:55 AM   #35
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Look at the bookfusion toolbar - another reason to uninstall it immediately.

No search - web search - translate - share - lookup

Edit: This may sound harder than it should, but even MapleRead is better than BookFusion in terms of reading functions and I struggle often with MapleRead and custom fonts.

If they would only get closer to Marvin, I would happily pay for subscription

Last edited by Wiggo; 05-21-2023 at 01:13 AM.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2023, 02:20 AM   #36
Clark G. Flipper
Connoisseur
Clark G. Flipper began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I was pleased to find out that BookFusion, as one of the few remaining epub readers, supports vertical scroll mode. On the other hand I do not require the fancy syncing stuff and therefore their subscription model is not plausible to me.
Clark G. Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 05:35 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
Look at the bookfusion toolbar - another reason to uninstall it immediately.

No search - web search - translate - share - lookup

Edit: This may sound harder than it should, but even MapleRead is better than BookFusion in terms of reading functions and I struggle often with MapleRead and custom fonts.

If they would only get closer to Marvin, I would happily pay for subscription
Thanks for mentioning MapleRead. I'll give that one a try and see how it goes.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-21-2023 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:44 AM   #38
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
I use MapleRead as my catalog. I transfer books from Calibre to MapleRead. Then when I'm ready to read a book, if it is epub it goes to Marvin and if pdf it goes to Goodreader.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 08:54 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I use MapleRead as my catalog. I transfer books from Calibre to MapleRead. Then when I'm ready to read a book, if it is epub it goes to Marvin and if pdf it goes to Goodreader.
Why don't you use MapleRead to actually read ePub? Is there something wrong with it? Would it do when you no longer can use Marvin because you have a new iOS device? And if it would do, why not make it do now given that Marvin's highlighting is rather broken?
Old 05-21-2023, 09:04 AM   #40
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Why don't you use MapleRead to actually read ePub? Is there something wrong with it? Would it do when you no longer can use Marvin because you have a new iOS device? And if it would do, why not make it do now given that Marvin's highlighting is rather broken?
If Marvin goes away I will use MapleRead. I don't use it now because there is no way (that I've found) to change the left side touch to go forward rather than backward. I hold my ereader in my left hand and it is move convenient to touch the left side to go forward. I use GoodReader for pdf because it has a really nice crop feature.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 10:08 AM   #41
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@JSWolf
MR is not so bad beside fiddling around with custom fonts on some epubs (I hate it)
Unfortunately support never replied to my emails.
But I do it like peaceridge. For fiction I always take Marvin and also for nonfiction if Marvin detects the chapters at highlighting
Old 05-21-2023, 10:45 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If Marvin goes away I will use MapleRead. I don't use it now because there is no way (that I've found) to change the left side touch to go forward rather than backward. I hold my ereader in my left hand and it is move convenient to touch the left side to go forward. I use GoodReader for pdf because it has a really nice crop feature.
You can now give up Marvin for MapleRead. Under the settings is a Gestures option and that allows you to set the left screen to tap to page forward.
Old 05-21-2023, 11:26 AM   #43
alper
alper began at the beginning.

Device: Marvin, offline Kindle
Quote:
I've tried out every app under the sun and settled on MapleRead. There are some issues and the settings are an utter mess, but once you have it setup, reading and highlighting books works well enough.

I've pinged the author of Marvin again whether he can release the source code, but no reply.
alper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 12:09 PM   #44
Wiggo
Leftutti

Quote:
Does anyone know what the last version of iTunes is that allows a backup that contains the apps and not just a reference to them?
Imazing should do the job. I tried to install some really old archived apps but I got the "code signature is no longer supported". I don't dare to uninstall Marvin to try it out - it doesn't really make sense in the end too.

Regarding MapleRead. As already mentioned the really big issue for me are the custom fonts. Unlike Marvin MR refuses to use custom fonts quite often. I hate to get up and fire up the computer again.
Second is you get no images tab to scroll through all the pictures in a book. Quite comfortable for maps and fantasy.
Old 05-21-2023, 04:16 PM   #45
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Cool

Quote:
Bookfusion should allow custom fonts.
It apparently already does. It's a newly added feature from late last year or so. Haven't tested it myself yet. (Not sure yet if it's available on all 3 platforms – web, Android, iOS.)

Quote:
Another feature I'd like to have is ADE page numbers.
Your personal obsession. I've never heard anyone except you requesting this feature. (Unlike, say, annotations syncing support which I kept requesting from Marvin, because that's a feature requested by many users, and frequently.) Doesn't automatically mean that ADE page numbers shouldn't be there, but you've already stated unequivocally that you can't afford to pay $19 per year for a top-notch e-reader app, so why would they oblige you?

Adobe is trash and I see no reason for third-party apps to implement "Adobe features".

"Page numbers" in e-books are an illusion. There is no such thing. I much prefer determining location in e-books via percentages (using two decimal numbers), just like Marvin allows it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
Imazing should do the job.
I'm 99% certain it will not do the job. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Apple purposely blocked all such third-party apps from working properly at around the time iOS 7 or 8 was released, which is quite a few years ago. Those third-party apps still work, in a sense, but they mostly only accomplish trivial tasks instead of those you desperately want them to do, such as restoring fully working older apps whose only "sin" is that Apple kicked them out of the App Store. They could still work perfectly fine, but Apple won't allow us to use them.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote