Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 07-08-2023, 03:14 AM   #46
maxyn83
Enthusiast
maxyn83 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 13pm
Has anyone tried ios 17 beta with Marvin?
maxyn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 04:48 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxyn83 View Post
Has anyone tried ios 17 beta with Marvin?
IMHO, it's a waste of time trying to keep Marvin alive. It's broken and highlighting doesn't work properly. It's best to try to find a current program to read ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2023, 04:54 AM   #48
maxyn83
Enthusiast
maxyn83 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 13pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
IMHO, it's a waste of time trying to keep Marvin alive. It's broken and highlighting doesn't work properly. It's best to try to find a current program to read ePub.
thanks. Will stick with Marvin on ios 16 for now coz it's still the best app for my basic use. I don't use or need highlighting.
maxyn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 02:32 PM   #49
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
And Marvin works fine - including highlighting - on iOS 16. Jon just doesn’t like that the highlighting is slightly above and below the existing line height.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 11:32 AM   #50
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Marvin did work fine on iPadOS 17 Beta 3 for the time I had it running. Then my iPad melted down and I am waiting for the 16.5.1 restore to see if Marvin survives the restore. May have to resort to iMazing to get it back.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2023, 12:57 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
And Marvin works fine - including highlighting - on iOS 16. Jon just doesn’t like that the highlighting is slightly above and below the existing line height.
When you went to highlight, parts of the control were not visible. That is broken and in need of fixing,
Old 07-14-2023, 07:25 PM   #52
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You keep moving your goal posts.

And just to be pedantic, the tool is visible, it’s just white on an off white background…

I just rearranged the order of the secondary menu items so that ‘highlight’ was the first item. Then I long hold on a word/phrase, hit the right arrow once, click on the highlight symbol (which is all by itself) and viola… all nice and highlighty.
Old 07-15-2023, 10:16 AM   #53
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
You keep moving your goal posts.

And just to be pedantic, the tool is visible, it’s just white on an off white background…

I just rearranged the order of the secondary menu items so that ‘highlight’ was the first item. Then I long hold on a word/phrase, hit the right arrow once, click on the highlight symbol (which is all by itself) and viola… all nice and highlighty.
How do you rearrange the order of the secondary menu items?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 11:55 PM   #54
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Advanced ePub Settings
- text selection menu
- manage

Then delete/add which options you want until they are in the order you want. I have ‘highlight’ as the first and ‘define’ as the second which corresponds to one or two arrow taps.
Old 07-16-2023, 12:38 AM   #55
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
You don’t have to delete/add, just enter sort mode
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 09:10 AM   #56
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Advanced ePub Settings
- text selection menu
- manage

Then delete/add which options you want until they are in the order you want. I have ‘highlight’ as the first and ‘define’ as the second which corresponds to one or two arrow taps.
Thank you so much! That solves my last problems with Marvin. I'm a long time user, but never saw this before. Hope it keeps working for a long time.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:13 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Marvin is not fit for the app store with iOS 16 being the current iOS. Especially an app that you have to pay to get the full screen. I don't know how Marvin will work with iOS 17. But Apple was right to remove it from the app store.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:18 AM   #58
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Marvin is not fit for the app store with iOS 16 being the current iOS. Especially an app that you have to pay to get the full screen. I don't know how Marvin will work with iOS 17. But Apple was right to remove it from the app store.
Yes, I understand your point of view, Resident Curmudgeon. I'll just keep using it until I can't anymore.
Old 07-16-2023, 07:43 PM   #59
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
You don’t have to delete/add, just enter sort mode

I didn’t see that… but then I like doing things the hard way!!

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2023, 08:51 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Yes, I understand your point of view, Resident Curmudgeon. I'll just keep using it until I can't anymore.
I'm not saying you cannot keep using Marvin. I'm just saying why it's gone from the app store.