Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2022, 02:57 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetBest View Post
I got two times a repeatable hang freeze. It happened after an Open, Scroll Down to page 2 and Close (X) of the Read Settings screen. I entered that screen for the first time after this latest upgrade. I went via Menu More -> Settings -> Read Settings. I only scrolled down and closed the sceen via X at the top of page 2 of 2. I did NOT change any setting.

My Kobo Libra 2 freezed and only by keeping the Power putton pressed for about 15 seconds I was able to restart the device.

The third time I entered the Read Settings screen it was via an open eBook (I went via the top icon) and then I changed first a setting (Reversed button) and direct back to Standard. I scrolled down and closed the Page 2 of 2 via the X.

Now all is okay...also via the Menu route. It looks as if a setting change has overwritten something that previously caused a hang.... not sure of course. But is it was strange as I could repeat this problem after the first time it occured.

Anyhow, if you encounter such behaviour you might be able to solve it as well.
Is this with ePub or KePub? Side loaded or purchased and synced? Patched firmware or stock firmware (unpatched)?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 03:05 PM   #17
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Just upgraded to 4.33 and applied patches. Let's see how it goes.
Quote:
I got two times a repeatable hang freeze. It happened after an Open, Scroll Down to page 2 and Close (X) of the Read Settings screen. I entered that screen for the first time after this latest upgrade. I went via Menu More -> Settings -> Read Settings. I only scrolled down and closed the sceen via X at the top of page 2 of 2. I did NOT change any setting.

My Kobo Libra 2 freezed and only by keeping the Power putton pressed for about 15 seconds I was able to restart the device.

The third time I entered the Read Settings screen it was via an open eBook (I went via the top icon) and then I changed first a setting (Reversed button) and direct back to Standard. I scrolled down and closed the Page 2 of 2 via the X.
I tried but was unable to reproduce this.
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2022, 03:58 PM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

I am using an unpatched 4.33.19608 and was unable to duplicate your results in 10 tries on a Kobo Sage and 5 tries on the XYL's Librea 2.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:06 PM   #19
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:

Now all is okay...also via the Menu route. It looks as if a setting change has overwritten something that previously caused a hang.... not sure of course. But is it was strange as I could repeat this problem after the first time it occured.

Which patches do you have installed?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:17 PM   #20
PetBest
PetBest began at the beginning.

Quote:

I use Kobo standard firmware (no patches or extra software) version 4.33.19608.
Almost all books are KePUB some ePUB and some PDF. Allmost all eBooks are sideloaded via Calibre.

I work with KoboTouchExtended and Kobo Utilities (all latest versions as of today).
I configured the columns Kobo Reading Location, Kobo % Read, etc. and with Collections column and configured Automatic Management (works fine).

Last edited by PetBest; 06-02-2022 at 05:19 PM. Reason: some typo corrections
PetBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2022, 05:21 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I use Kobo standard firmware (no patches or extra software) version 4.33.19608.
Almost all books are KePUB some ePUB and some PDF. Allmost all eBooks are sideloaded via Calibre.

I work with KoboTouchExtended and Kobo Utilities (all latest versions as of today).
I configured the columns Kobo Reading Location, Kobo % Read, etc. and with Collections column and configured Automatic Management (works fine).
But what are the eBooks that gave you trouble? Are they KePub or ePub? Side loaded or synced?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 03:44 AM   #22
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
I read for about two hours last night and i have yet to experience a freeze/hang that i experienced in 4.32 fw.

I use 14 patches, nickelmenu and nanoclock.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:14 AM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
I read for about two hours last night and i have yet to experience a freeze/hang that i experienced in 4.32 fw.

I use 14 patches, nickelmenu and nanoclock.
Sounds promising. Thanks for the report. I've been getting kind leery of upgrading my Kobos — kind of like the old days I was afraid to upgrade Windows. (I left Windows at XP, so I don't know if the same now as it was then, or not.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:17 AM   #24
PetBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But what are the eBooks that gave you trouble? Are they KePub or ePub? Side loaded or synced?

The problem was NOT caused by an ePub or KePub as I had non of them on the screen open. I went via Home page directly to to Menu More as described before.

11 KePub''s were in Reading modus meaning 0% or higher Read status.. But noneof them was on the screen. None ePub's were in read modus.

My guess is that the system runs out of memory due to some memory leakage...

I use Libra 2 intensive Also in combination with Calibre. (conect/disconnect). I have about 3.6 GB on eBooks.

With 4.32 ans 4.33 haad/have after several days of intensive usage (sideloading) a complete freeze at moments that I usea simple Kobo function like a setting, or wifi or bluetooth. There is zero logic behind it and after a hard restart the issue often does not reoccu on the same place. I have bean very long in IT and for me the most logical explanation is a memory leakage somewhere. Anyhow the Kobo Libra 2 is a great device for reading.

QA testing is still important .... also with so many open source.. Can be a prwtty daunting task.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:28 AM   #25
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Sounds promising. Thanks for the report. I've been getting kind leery of upgrading my Kobos — kind of like the old days I was afraid to upgrade Windows. (I left Windows at XP, so I don't know if the same now as it was then, or not.)
I make a complete backup of my device before I update. if i experience problems, i revert back to the old fw and dump back all files.

BTW, i read two more hours today, and i have yet to experience a single freeze.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:45 AM   #26
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
My guess is that the system runs out of memory due to some memory leakage...
I seem to recall one of the beloved tinkers here who's name escapes me at the moment mentioning that the Libra 2 was a bit more prone to this. Though I don't recall specifically *why* this was the case.

Though I think, since it's not a reproducible issue, that we can probably assume some process was probably not properly ended and that the steps of going into a book later and checking the menu from there properly ended the task.

Whether this was caused by, or exacerbated by, the update is somewhat unknown and largely irrelevant because the problem can't be reproduced regularly.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:29 AM   #27
PetBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
None of the eBooks as I had nothing opened on my screen.
After login with PIN I went via Menu More on Home screen to the setting as mentioned. Then hit two times on a row that freeze.
The third time I first open a kePub book and via the top menu icon I went to the settings menu and change from standard to reverse button and back again. Since then the freeze issue has gone. I retried the orginal route but no freeze any more.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:43 AM   #28
PetBest

Quote:
None of the eBooks as I had nothing opened on my screen.
After login with PIN I went via Menu More on Home screen to the setting as mentioned. Then hit two times on a row that freeze.
The third time I first open a kePub book and via the top menu icon I went to the settings menu and change from standard to reverse button and back again. Since then the freeze issue has gone. I retried the orginal route but no freeze any more.

Extra note: I had at random places device freezes after some days or after several hours of reading. It seems to me that it is caused by an out-of-memory issue due to programming flaws (memory not freed?).

I see no logic or often no repeatability of a freeze Most of the time it happens only after intensive usage. I mean here not perse intensive reading.
Old 06-03-2022, 02:25 PM   #29
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
The bug where the led power light turns off after about 5 seconds is still there on the Kobo Sage.

To duplicate:

Plug USB3 power cable into Kobo Sage
White LED lights up
After a few seconds LED goes off
Device will continue to charge, just no LED indication
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 05:47 PM   #30
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I seem to recall one of the beloved tinkers here who's name escapes me at the moment mentioning that the Libra 2 was a bit more prone to this. Though I don't recall specifically *why* this was the case.

Though I think, since it's not a reproducible issue, that we can probably assume some process was probably not properly ended and that the steps of going into a book later and checking the menu from there properly ended the task.

Whether this was caused by, or exacerbated by, the update is somewhat unknown and largely irrelevant because the problem can't be reproduced regularly.
You might have been thinking of my comments about the Sage: essentially same board as the Elipsa, but with half the RAM (i.e., 512MB), but the same (roughly) large (ish) amount of reserved memory by the sunxi display driver.

The only thing I'd have to say about the Libra 2 is that it's probably the most finicky kernel we've seen, but the impact of that is hangs/crashes, nothing RAM related (almost all of the issues I've seen on that front are epdc related, and possibly power delivery adjacent). Then again, confirmation bias: the epdc is what I care about most, so I'm bound to notice those more than the average Joe ;p .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-03-2022 at 05:50 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release