Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #1
jist
Enthusiast
jist began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Note Lite - Win10
How to manage categories or grouping between Calibre and Onyx Boox Note

Now that I have my books library in good shape in Calibre, I am looking to copy a large selection of them to my Onyx Boox Note.

As a way to make it possible to find and filter certain books on topics, in Calibre I have paid some attention to having most books populated with sensible tags.
I have not (yet) researched creating categories, virtual libraries, sub-groupings, or whatever.

My challenge/fear is that while in Calibre I can now easily find what book(s) I am looking for, I am afraid that it will become a bit of a bulky mess in my ereader.
And scrolling through hundreds of books on an ereader is not much fun.

So my question to Onyx Boox users is:

Can you suggest good practices to setup and prepare both Calibre and my Boox Note so that when I copy books to my ereader, they end up in a way that makes it comfortable to filter, group, refine etc.?

For example, as an uneducated guess I think that the book tags that I have in Calibre probably only exist in the opf files, and they will not be ported over to the ereader?
jist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:27 PM   #2
JoeBaggins
JoeBaggins began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2
The Easiest Way I've Found

The best way I have found is to move all of a certain type of book onto your Onyx device at once. For instance, I group certain books by author and other books by tags. To bulk organize them on my Onyx Nova2 I follow these steps:

1. Filter books in Calibre to a specific author or tag
2. Transfer all of that specific author or tag onto your Onyx device
3. In the NeoReader section of your Onyx device, in the upper right hand corner, choose the icon that looks like a check mark in a box
A. Because your Onyx device allows you to make changes to the device
while it is plugged into your computer you don't have to disconnect your
ereader for this step
4. On the navigation bar on the left hand side of your Onyx device, choose select all (You will know they have all been selected by looking at the bottom of your ereader screen)
5. Next, on the navigation bar on the left hand side of your Onyx device, choose Move
6. A box will appear with all of the different folders/subgenres you have created, if you haven't created any (of if you need to add a new one) the box has an option to add a folder. I created folders/subgenres that mirror the authors or tags in Calibre I set up.

Hopefully this helps!
JoeBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2020, 10:26 PM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Personally I don't use the Onyx library function. I find it limited.

Instead, I just put them in author folders under the books folder.

Alternatively, and secondly, in AlreaderX, I scan all books and build a library. If you have added metadata to you books, Alreader should sort them accurately by title and author. I think Moonreader does a similar thing.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
jist
Enthusiast
jist began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Note Lite - Win10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBaggins View Post
The best way I have found is to move all of a
Hopefully this helps!
Thanks. When I asked the question I was thinking that ebook metadata would be extensive, compatible and could also be used by the Boox.
But that is not really the case, so indeed some folder based structure will probably be about the best that can be done.
jist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:31 PM   #5
suenteus
suenteus began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Book Note Air
seeking an android app that can read Calibre libraries...

To me the most clean way of doing this would be able to sync your Calibre library to the Onyx (do-able with apps like File Sync) ... and then read the library locally on your device. Unfortunately there seems to be no app in the universe that can read a Calibre library on Android...
suenteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, categories, note, onyx, tags