Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-06-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
pedalmonkey
pedalmonkey began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Calibre 4.0 dmg won't open on my iMac

iMac running 10.11.6

Download the dmg and get an error when trying to open that says "no mountable file systems". Tried downloading from mirror site and received the same error.

Any ideas?

Thx
pedalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
reboot your mac
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalmonkey View Post
iMac running 10.11.6

Download the dmg and get an error when trying to open that says "no mountable file systems". Tried downloading from mirror site and received the same error.
You are going to have to stay with an older version of Calibre. 4.0 needs Mojave (10.14.xx) or later so your El Capitan install is not going to work.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-06-2019 at 12:43 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #4
pdboyer
pdboyer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalmonkey View Post
Having the same issue with Mac OS 10.14.6. Moved .dmg file to applications folder and still get the same error.
pdboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdboyer View Post
Having the same issue with Mac OS 10.14.6. Moved .dmg file to applications folder and still get the same error.
reboot your mac
Advert
Old 10-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #6
pedalmonkey
pedalmonkey began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I have tried rebooting with no luck

I have tried rebooting with no luck
pedalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
wilfriedk
Connoisseur
wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Nexus 7, PocketBook Touch HD 3
Calibre-4.0.0.dmg and Calibre-4.1.0.dmg: error while trying to install

Rebooting does not solve the problem.

I have a Mac mini and an iMac 5k, both with OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan. When I doubleclick on the .dmg file, I get, after a few seconds, both with 4.0.0 and 4.1.0, the message:

Keine aktivierbaren Dateisysteme (no mountable file systems)

Would appreciate any substantial help very much. Thank you.
wilfriedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:43 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well the only reason I know of for macOS to fail to open a dmg with that error is if too many dmgs have been opened, which a reboot will fix. If it doesn't fix it, then there is something else unusual about your system, the most common culprit for weird behavior like this would be an antivirus program. For instance, there is one, clled integos that actually causes full computer crashes when dmgs are opened.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfriedk View Post

I have a Mac mini and an iMac 5k, both with OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan. When I doubleclick on the .dmg file, I get, after a few seconds, both with 4.0.0 and 4.1.0, the message:

Should I mention—once again—that calibre 4.0 or higher requires Mojave OS X 10.14 or higher. Even if you got the .dmg to open, you would not be able to execute calibre 4.0 on your system.

To quotes the notes on the calibre for OS X download page:

1. The application cannot be run from within the dmg. You must drag it to a folder on your filesystem (The Desktop, Applications, wherever).
  2. In order to show calibre in a different language, open the preferences (by pressing ⌘+P) and select your language.
  3. If you are using macOS older than 10.14 (Mojave), the last version of calibre that will work on your machine is 3.48, available here.
  4. If you are using macOS 10.8 (Mountain Lion), the last version of calibre that will work on your machine is 2.85.1, available here.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-11-2019 at 09:58 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:55 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Oh yeah and as is noted on the download page you need MacOS >= 10.14 for calibre 4
Old 10-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #11
wilfriedk
Connoisseur
wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wilfriedk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Nexus 7, PocketBook Touch HD 3
@ DNSB and kovidgoyal:
Thank you very much for the hint. Somehow, the note on the download page escaped me completely. Sorry for the inconvenience.
wilfriedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:14 AM   #12
Lothrandir
Lothrandir began at the beginning.

Device: none
Not installing till download 3.48.0

I have Mojave 10.14.6, and I have tried several times installing calibre 4.1.0. Always crashing my Mac mini, with inactivating my Intego antivirus. Then I tried with calibre 3.48.0 dmg and it works.
Thanks a lot for your great forum.
Lothrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfriedk View Post

You may be able to upgrade your iMac's if they are not officially supported if ou are willing to buy new video card(s).

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

Go to that link and read about the MacOS Catalina Patcher.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote