Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-04-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
anarcat
Connoisseur
anarcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Onyx Boox Note Pro 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Pixel 4a
note pro availability

I've been checking the Onyx online shop every week or so recently, in the hope to see the Onyx Note Pro in stock. The estimates were bumped to the end of May a few times, but now it seems like it's actually available online, here:

https://onyxboox.com/boox_notepro

However, since I'm in Canada, I figured it might be better to get it from Ectaco and indeed, the Onyx website encourages me to go there. When I do visit the site, I do not see the Onyx Note Pro - only the Onyx Note or Max 2 Pro:

http://www.onyxbooxusa.com/ebooks/wi...-screens-items

Same here:

https://www.ectaco.com/eBook-PDA-Dic...es-items/?ft=4

On the Canadian site, it's even worse: even the Max 2 Pro is unavailable:

http://www.ectaco.ca/catalogue/ebook...rs-items/?ft=4

What's up? What's the best way to by a Onyx Max 2 Pro or Onyx Note Pro in Canada?
anarcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
barth90
Enthusiast
barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle DX , Paperwhite, Onyx Note Pro
I'm also in Canada and I ordered the new Note Pro this weekend from Goodereader. They are located in Vancouver. The price was $599US. I also ordered the leather cover.
Here's the website address:

https://goodereader.com/blog/shop

I should receive it soon!
barth90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2019, 04:17 PM   #3
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
ereader.store is where I ordered mine. It took two days to deliver to Canada ($15 import fees).
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth90 View Post
I'm also in Canada and I ordered the new Note Pro this weekend from Goodereader. They are located in Vancouver. The price was $599US. I also ordered the leather cover.
Here's the website address:

https://goodereader.com/blog/shop-
Be very careful about dealing with those folks. They engaged in some very unethical behaviour regarding their shuttered Indiegogo campaign.

As recently as May, people were still posting on the Indiegogo campaign page to complain that they had not yet received their device even though the devices were being sold through the Good Ereader webstore for immediate purchase to new customers. Some of their Indiegogo backers have been waiting longer than 2 years for a device.

That campaign was well documented in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=272106

I wouldn't buy a roll of toilet paper from those folk.

Instead, I got my Onyx devices through the ereader.store in Germany even though I also live in Canada. Have only had positive experiences dealing with the ereader.store. Would highly recommend.

https://ereader.store/en/
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:29 PM   #5
anarcat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Be very careful about dealing with those folks. They engaged in some very unethical behaviour regarding their shuttered Indiegogo campaign.

I wouldn't buy a roll of toilet paper from those folk.
Well crap. I wish I had read that earlier. I ordered my Onyx from them as well - hopefully things will go well. So far my order is "processing", I'll let you know how it goes.
Advert
Old 06-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #6
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarcat View Post
Well crap. I wish I had read that earlier. I ordered my Onyx from them as well - hopefully things will go well. So far my order is "processing", I'll let you know how it goes.
I'm sure you will get your device. However, not sure what the aftercare experience will be like if you have any issues with the device. It will also be interesting to see where it ships from.

Some people have ordered devices from them believing that they will ship from Vancouver since that is where Good e-Reader is based. They have later been surprised to learn that their device actually shipped from Asia.

Quietly tucked away in their "store policy usage" section, Good e-Reader states:

Quote:
Some products you order will be delivered from some of our retail partners. They will be shipped to you outside of Canada. If you live in Canada you will subject to taxes and duty.

https://goodereader.com/blog/store-usage-policy
So, even though you might reside in Canada and place your order from a Canadian company based in Canada, you might experience lengthy wait times associated with products shipping from Asia and then be hit with additional and unexpected fees... Hope that isn't your experience, but it has happened to others who have placed orders from them.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:12 AM   #7
anarcat
Connoisseur

Quote:
I'm sure you will get your device. However, not sure what the aftercare experience will be like if you have any issues with the device. It will also be interesting to see where it ships from.
Right. It's been more than 24h and they still haven't processed my payment, for example. I sure hope I won't get duties charged either...
Old 06-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #8
barth90
Enthusiast
barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:

Some people have ordered devices from them believing that they will ship from Vancouver since that is where Good e-Reader is based. They have later been surprised to learn that their device actually shipped from Asia.

Quietly tucked away in their "store policy usage" section, Good e-Reader states:

So, even though you might reside in Canada and place your order from a Canadian company based in Canada, you might experience lengthy wait times associated with products shipping from Asia and then be hit with additional and unexpected fees... Hope that isn't your experience, but it has happened to others who have placed orders from them.
I ordered my Pro on Sunday, although my order still shows as processing on goodereader site, I received this morning a note from DHL Hong Kong with a tracking number and an expected delivery date of tuesday june 11th.
Me too am a bit upset by the fact that you are lead to believe that your order would be fullfilled from Vancouver and not Hong Kong.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #9
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
I ordered my Pro on Sunday, although my order still shows as processing on goodereader site, I received this morning a note from DHL Hong Kong with a tracking number and an expected delivery date of tuesday june 11th.
Me too am a bit upset by the fact that you are lead to believe that your order would be fullfilled from Vancouver and not Hong Kong.
Thought that would probably be the case. Rather deceptive if you ask me. Products should clearly state where they are shipping from. Not that difficult to do. But that is how they operate.

Hope you don't get hit with any additional fees.

Another alternative might be to contact your credit card company and cancel your order if it is "still processing". I think you could make a good case that they were not upfront about where the product was shipping from and that you might be exposed to additional fees because of that. And should you have to return the product because it is defective, you might have to send it back to Hong Kong which would presumably cost more than shipping it within Canada.

At least one person who has posted on these forums was able to cancel his order before it arrived. That person had needed the device for a given date and was promised that it would arrive by that date which, of course, there was no way that it could because the device which had been listed as "in stock" was not shipping from Canada, but from Asia.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #10
Question Mark
Wizard

Here's the thread which I had mentioned in the above post:

Follow my Onyx Boox Note Purchase. I've probably been scammed by GoodeReader

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=295699
Old 06-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
barth90
Enthusiast

I got my Note Pro delivered today from Hong Kong. It took one week from the date of order. there were no any additional fees to pay other than the regular GST and PST, and even those were about $40 less than what I had calculated. Overall I am satisfied with the service provided by Goodereader. I don't know about their after sale service, and I hope that I will never have to test them on that.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #12
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Hope you don't get hit with any additional fees.

- Yes "exactly" it is possible, as in my case !!
- Ordered in China (OnyxInterntional - HongKong) for import to France (DHL). Unfortunately, I was expecting an unpleasant surprise from the customs office, where I had to pay 100Euro extra for customs duties.
*So it cost me pretty dear. Next time I will go through Amazon without doune fees to pay.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 06-10-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #13
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
I got my Note Pro delivered today from Hong Kong. It took one week from the date of order. there were no any additional fees to pay other than the regular GST and PST, and even those were about $40 less than what I had calculated. Overall I am satisfied with the service provided by Goodereader. I don't know about their after sale service, and I hope that I will never have to test them on that.
Glad to hear that, so far, things have worked out for you. I still think they should be upfront about where the devices on offer on their website are shipping from. If it's coming from China/Hong Kong, one might be able to get a better deal by ordering direct from the source and cutting out the middleman.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #14
barth90
Enthusiast

Quote:
Glad to hear that, so far, things have worked out for you. I still think they should be upfront about where the devices on offer on their website are shipping from. If it's coming from China/Hong Kong, one might be able to get a better deal by ordering direct from the source and cutting out the middleman.
That's exactly my point. I wrote a note to Peter from Gooderaeder yesterday stating exactly the same. They should be more up-front about the way they do business. There is nothing wrong per say in the fact that device comes from HK, it took only two days from shipping to delivery , but it would have been nice to know the point of origin.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:39 PM   #15
anarcat
Connoisseur

well this sucks, to be blunt. one week later, and the order is still "processing". they wrote me the day after the order to get my phone number because I didn't fill that in on the order form (it wasn't required) and after providing it, i asked in passing when the order would be ready.

they then said they hadn't processed my payment yet and i should be patient. but the strange thing is that, according to my credit card company, the order *had* been processed, the day before.

now a week later, the order still says "processing". i sure hope they're not going to get stuck like this forever because there's going to be hell.

Tags
availability, canada, maxpro2, notepro, onyx