Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #16
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Amazon is offering me $65 for my 2 year old Voyage trade in....so that brings the price down on this. I liked the Oasis design but hated being forced into a cover so this is right up my alley.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #17
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Just ordered one

Feels like less of an extravagance when I resisted buying a Pixel 2 phone the other day.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #18
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
The last several generations I kept telling myself "this will be the last time I buy a new kindle at launch"...I just remember the 1st generation Paperwhite, being such a phenomenal improvement over all the previous models, but the uneven lights bothered me.... then the "all-new" paperwhite 2nd gen improved the lighting but still wasn't perfect... then going through the Kindle Voyage exchange lottery trying to get one without a 2-toned screen (the gradient from the lighting), settling for the least bad one I could get... then getting a 1st generation oasis and dealing with the "light cones" on the side now rather than the bottom....

I'm hoping and praying that finally the lighting is going to be just perfect. but I doubt that it will be. Can still hope. Worried that the larger screen will be harder to light properly

Excited that the battery case is gone, I keep getting weird connection errors on my very-well-taken-care-of Oasis. Hope it's going to feel similarly light (obviously won't be AS light) as the existing Oasis...

Couldn't care less that it's waterproof, I don't see myself swimming in the ocean or sitting out in the rain while reading books.

Very excited about the size. I don't think we'll get a DX again but this will do.

Excited about the cover that stands.

The Saddle Brown cover I hope is the same leather as the existing oasis saddle brown. It's really hard to tell from the photo.

32gb seems very excessive, I still have 1.5gb of the 4gb on my oasis.. but when they offer a larger option I can't help but pick it. I guess I talked myself into it thinking I could have lots of comics on it. We'll see.

Last edited by positively4th; 10-11-2017 at 09:48 AM.
positively4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #19
Richard529
Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 1, Aura HD
Short YouTube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO7rul8rykI&t=1s
Richard529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by positively4th View Post
The last several generations I kept telling myself "this will be the last time I buy a new kindle at launch"...I just remember the 1st generation Paperwhite, being such a phenomenal improvement over all the previous models, but the uneven lights bothered me.... then the "all-new" paperwhite 2nd gen improved the lighting but still wasn't perfect... then going through the Kindle Voyage exchange lottery trying to get one without a 2-toned screen (the gradient from the lighting), settling for the least bad one I could get... then getting a 1st generation oasis and dealing with the "light cones" on the side now rather than the bottom....
Sounds as if you're more particular about lighting than many of us. Do you really want to give yourself all the grief again? I have to confess that all the pictures that people have posted over the years showing bad lighting on Kindles have appeared absolutely fine to me. Obviously I lack discrimination .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #21
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard529 View Post
That does make it seem very tempting.

Need to wait though, see what you all think first.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #22
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
So I can’t choose 8 GB, Wi-Fi + Cellular, with Special Offers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #23
kaibob
Connoisseur
kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Paperwhite 3
The Amazon cover is available in Saddle Tan, Merlot, and Midnight (which I assume is a dark blue). I've always gone with black but that's no longer an option. So, Midnight or Saddle Blue for me.
kaibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibob View Post
The Amazon cover is available in Saddle Tan, Merlot, and Midnight (which I assume is a dark blue). I've always gone with black but that's no longer an option. So, Midnight or Saddle Blue for me.
"Midnight Black" sounds as if it's probably black, don't you think? That's what the Amazon UK site calls it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #25
kaibob
Connoisseur
kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Paperwhite 3
[QUOTE=HarryT;3591933]"Midnight Black" sounds as if it's probably black, don't you think? You may be right. I always think of the color Midnight as in Midnight Blue.

Fabric covers are available in Charcoal, Indigo, and Sandstone. The Charcoal looks nice and saves $15.00.

EDIT

I just noticed from your post and confirmed online that the US site calls it Midnight and the UK site calls it Midnight Black.

Last edited by kaibob; 10-11-2017 at 10:37 AM.
kaibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #26
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Yessss! They ditched the expensive case. No audio jack or speaker, though. Would it have killed them? Even iPhones still have speakers, right?

I wonder if it has real TTS now. Basically, what I want is an updated kindle keyboard with speakers and TTS in an updated keyboardless oasis body. Is that too much to ask?

Ooh is that invert white on black mode I see in the video or is it some kind of glitch? It's only in the menu screen though.

Now I just need to wait for the jailbreak :/
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #27
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Edit: never mind, someone else asked.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #28
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Yes. It's billed as an accessibility feature. It's also the only reason I ever really wanted to jailbreak - because Koreader can do it.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #29
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
I preorderd too, pretty excited now
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #30
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post

Ooh is that invert white on black mode I see in the video or is it some kind of glitch?

Now I just need to wait for the jailbreak :/
On the product page - Kindle Oasis also includes the ability to Invert Black and White,

Hope you are prepared to wait years for a jailbreak!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote