Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-02-2023, 05:00 PM   #46
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You have stated this before but I have seen no evidence that either of these statements is true.
FWIW, we upload ePUB3.0 files all the time.

(Sorry I've missed all the fun. No Internet for 6 days!)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 06:54 PM   #47
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
@jhowel...OK I'll try and be more specific and say that you can no longer upload an EPUB 3 file as a fixed layout or print replica ebook on Amazon. For all fixed layout ebooks on Amazon, you have no choice but to use Kindle Create.

And if you don't believe what I say, then why not try creating and uploading a fixed layout EPUB 3 ebook to Amazon KDP for yourself? Then you would know for sure whether that method works, one way or another.

Also, when I did a search for "EPUB 3" on Kindle Jumpstart(Amazon Help), I only received two results and there was no mention of specifically using EPUB 3 format for print replica(aka fixed layout). You can see it for yourself here:
https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help?query=%22EPUB+3%22

And since I can find no Kindle Jumpstart advisory that specifically says that you should use EPUB 3 format for all your fixed layout ebooks, then it would seem that using Kindle Create is the only way to create a print replica ebook on Amazon.

Last edited by slowsmile; 05-02-2023 at 07:48 PM.
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2023, 07:05 PM   #48
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Hitch... I'm well aware that you still use EPUB 3 format for Amazon. But it's also quite true to say that, on the KDP Community Forum, whenever some authors have had problems uploading their fixed format EPUB 3 ebooks to Amazon as a children's book, cookbook or travel book then you will always advise them to use Kindle Create instead, right? That's what I'm talking about. I am not referring to whether or not you can create a reflowable ebook in EPUB 3 format. I'm talking about only uploading print replica to Amazon.

Last edited by slowsmile; 05-02-2023 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-02-2023, 07:15 PM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That still doesn't really explain why this plugin can't be modified to support EPUB3. Reflowable EPUB3s (which are certainly valid for uploading to Amazon) could make use of its functionality, no? If you don't want to support EPUB3, that's fine. It's your plugin. But just say you're not interested in doing so. FXL and AZW4 really don't enter into it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:01 PM   #50
slowsmile
Witchman

@DiapDealer...Fair enough then...I'm not interested in this plugin supporting EPUB 3.
Advert
Old 05-02-2023, 10:58 PM   #51
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsmile View Post
OK I'll try and be more specific and say that you can no longer upload an EPUB 3 file as a fixed layout or print replica ebook on Amazon. For all fixed layout ebooks on Amazon, you have no choice but to use Kindle Create.
I can give an example of a recently published fixed layout book, Feebee and the Hero's Path, that according to its metadata was was published as an EPUB created using Adobe InDesign 18.1. It does not look great but it was successfully published.

Quote:
And if you don't believe what I say, then why not try creating and uploading a fixed layout EPUB 3 ebook to Amazon KDP for yourself? Then you would know for sure whether that method works, one way or another.
You are the one stating that it does not work. Have you tried it?

Quote:
Also, when I did a search for "EPUB 3" on Kindle Jumpstart(Amazon Help), I only received two results and there was no mention of specifically using EPUB 3 format for print replica(aka fixed layout). You can see it for yourself here:
https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help?query=%22EPUB+3%22

And since I can find no Kindle Jumpstart advisory that specifically says that you should use EPUB 3 format for all your fixed layout ebooks, then it would seem that using Kindle Create is the only way to create a print replica ebook on Amazon.
Amazon has many KDP help pages about creating fixed layout books that discuss HTML and OPF requirements. Although they do not explicitly mention EPUB it is obvious that they are not referring to Kindle Create.

There was also a recent KDP announcement on File Conversion Requirement for Fixed Format Books that refers to SVG images and Viewport metadata in Fixed Format titles. That also has nothing to do with Kindle Create.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 11:21 PM   #52
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Not to kibitz here, but I know factually that you most certainly CAN upload ePUBs, made as FXL, and they'll work. Not only KPFs from KC (and let's not forget good ol' mobi made from KKBC, KCBC and KTC, too.)

What will NOT work is uploaded FXL-ePUBS created by INDD, intended for the AppleVerse. That absolutely won't work.

But if you handcode your ePUBs and upload them, yupperdoodle, those will work.

HItch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 11:55 PM   #53
slowsmile
Witchman

Rather than get into a pointless argy-bargy about EPUB 3 usage in fixed layout ebooks for Amazon uploads, I'm just going to reiterate what I said before about there being no current information whatsoever on Amazon on how you can format a fixed format ebook for Amazon using Adobe InDesign and EPUB 3 format.

I can also remember -- well before KFX and Kindle Create appeared on the scene -- when there WAS detailed Amazon help information on how to format EPUB 3 fixed layout ebooks using AI -- and now there is none. All that is available now is help info on creating fixed layout ebooks using Kindle Create only. So from that, I think that it's quite reasonable to assume that Amazon Kindle much prefers their authors -- especially newbie authors that don't know much about the process -- to format and upload their fixed format ebooks as a KPF file using Kindle Create. That's really the gist of what I've been saying all along.

Last edited by slowsmile; 05-03-2023 at 07:43 PM.